Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

HCPC launches consultation on standards for podiatric surgery

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by NewsBot, Oct 3, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Press Release:
    HCPC launches consultation on standards for podiatric surgery

2. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
  3. ProspectivePod

ProspectivePod Active Member

With regards to the use of "podiatrist practicing podiatric surgery" what do this mean I'm terms of title?
    I can see that this area of the standards was rather contentious. From what I can gather from the standards it is not the HCPCs role as a regulator to control the title as this needs legislative change. Therefore would I be correct in saying that podiatric surgeons will still be called "podiatric surgeons" and not have to introduce themselves as "podiatrists practising podiatric surgery" which in my opinion is slightly more confusing and clunky. Hopefully this term only applies to the HCPC standards.
    Standards for podiatric surgery are welcomed though and at least it will stop the HCPC making out to the media that these surgeons are "unregulated" as I've read in a number of news articles.

4. So, are podiatric surgeons (or podiatrists practising podiatric surgery) restricted from sub-talor implant surgery now?

5. This is an interesting admission.
    Essentially an admission from the HCPC that there is currently no such thing as protected titles in regard to podiatry. But according to the HCPC - there should be.
    If this were indeed the case then podiatric surgeon or even podiatrist practising podiatric surgery would be 'protected' - the derivatives providing the legislative cover. No doubt things will be clearer in a few weeks time, but at least the admission by the HCPC that the use of titles is best left to employers might explain why so many social workers are happily ignoring them...