Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry Drill Problems!

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Podi_Sales, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Podi_Sales

Podi_Sales Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Good afternoon all,

I work for a company that supplies all types of medical equipment. One particular item is giving me a headache!

HADEWE HELIUS DRILLS! :bang:

I would like to hear about problems you may of had with these drills yourselves?
    We currently have units being returned ...what seems like everyday... with problems such as RPM Increasing like it has a mind of it's own?! (Anyone know a solution to this one...you'd be a god send)

So in an attempt to figure out a solution, I have come to you! The podiatrists!

What drills do you recommend? I hear Berchtold are very popular? ... Anyone had issues with them?

& If you have, or have had a Hadewe Drill - What problems did you get? and what were the solutions to get it working right?

Thank you,

Ollie

P.s. Drill problem I mentioned above - seems to happen when Moores Disc's are used? ...If that helps anyone recall a similar problem?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  2. citychiropody

citychiropody Member

ive got 2 hadawe drills ...both seem fine !

3. medisrch

medisrch Active Member

The Podiacre drills are very reliable and service is good.

4. Podi_Sales

Are these Helius 22 or 40 Drills?

5. eclips

eclips Welcome New Poster

When does the drill get a mind of it's own? even if you hold it up in the air, or when you are using it? if you give too much presure the drill can lose "drillingpower". Or is this not the case?

6. eclips

eclips Welcome New Poster

When does the drill get a mind of it's own? even if you hold it up in the air, of when you are using it? if you give too much presure the drill can lose "drillingpower". Or is this not the case?

7. Steam Guru

Steam Guru Active Member

If you can send me a schematic, I may be able to give you some help. Is this one controlled by knob or by keypad ? If it is a rotary knob type, it may be due to a 'scratchy' carbon track in the potentiometer, like a volume control on an old radio. There are some sprays to help with this, but the best solution is to use a sealed, multi wiping conductive plastic pot.

Regards.

8. Podi_Sales

Both reported cases occured during procedures, and with Moores disc's attached?

We have tested the drill with various pressures applied and with different attachments. But have failed to cause the machine to increase in RPM.

The Helius 40 we have, is the keypad type?

Thanks guys

9. Glen

Glen Member

Hi Ollie

I have 2 Berchtold drills that have been good for a number of years. Last time I had one serviced the technician said there had been some wear and there is less wear and tear when you use at lower RPM. For drilling nails I normally run at about 15k.

An another poster mentioned when does the problem occur ? An old drill I had started to play up in certain positions. The micro motor was a bit loose in the hand piece and was fixed fine with a fresh solder.

10. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I have Berchtold drill can't remember the model but it's the touchscreen one. Had no end of problems with it. First was cutting out and giving error message all the time. They replaced it and the new one less than 1 yr old had the motor go in the hand piece. I find it loud and have to have the suction on low. When the suction is on it's highest it seems to conk out too! Can't win with it. Wouldn't buy another

11. Podi_Sales

Both units are under a year old - one is brand new. The brand new one was sent back to germany for repair. It was back with a customer for a few days, before ending up back on my desk with this new problem.

I hear a lot of good things about Berchtold - But then again Hadawe were ment to be a decent make too!? :bang:

12. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

13. antipodean

antipodean Active Member

I miss the old analogue berchtolds and work gladly swap my computer chipped new one that has display reminiscent of Kit off knight rider. I worked for a dept that had purchased 4 hadewe drills (unsurprisingly they were the cheapest tender). Clincians hated them and several broke down more than once, they were replaced with berchtolds 18 months later.

14. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

Worked in a clinic that used an old Berchtold drill ( brilliant, but showing it's age), and a brand new touchscreen Berchtold that seemed to have less power than the older model ( or my rechargeable dom drill). The new Berchtold had perpetual Mondayitis every day: within 30 seconds of starting it each morning it would cut out.
    Just the once, but every morning, reliable as clockwork...
    The owner wouldn't believe me or send it back so they will have to live with it.
    I purchased a new Promed drill on the strength of the rechargeable one I have, been in use a couple of months & no probs. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner and requires daily cleaning of the handpiece filter, but much better than the new Berchtold so far.

15. TECHNICIAN

TECHNICIAN Member

I am a repair technician with over 40 years experience of repairing electronic equipment in Australia. Reading these posts prompts me to say a few words.

Because a company produced one or two good models, does not mean that they always will. Time will tell whether a drill is of robust design, but by the time one realises that a drill is rubbish, it is too late - you're stuck with it. New models should always be considered with suspicion - the salesperson will allays attest to a drill's reliability and performance no matter how poor it is - he or she has a different agenda to yours.

A suction type dust extraction drill is basically a simple device - a suction motor and a motorised handpiece. The most successful designs have been those which are not embellished with unnecessary features and functions. These are attributes that can, and will go wrong in the long run, rendering the equipment unserviceable. In new models, here is a trend towards complexity and useless features (for e.g. LCD screens. You may remember Nokia's problems).

There are some features that are worthwhile, such as automatic chuck, On-Off switch mounted on the handpiece, quiet operation, lightweight, compact and robust design, good suction, effective dust filter bag, low maintenance costs, parts in plentiful supply and fast repair turnaround time.

In my business, I am constantly sourcing parts overseas to perform repairs, because some importers do not bother with after sales service or parts. It should be remembered that all drills require maintenance during their lifetime and that any decent drill, with maintenance, should last for over 10 years. Any drill can fail during the warranty period - that is what the warranty is for, but some of the worst brands and models fail multiple times during warranty, and then become ridiculously expensive to repair when out of the warranty period. A simple test you can apply before purchasing a drill, is to ask for a quote to replace the handpiece motor (most drills will need one or more of these during its lifetime). At the time of writing, I charge $275 for handpiece motor replacement (includes parts, labour and GST). Compare the two prices.

The only vacuum dust extraction drill I recommend at this time, is the Promed 4030SX, available from DBS Medical Supplies at Byron Bay, or the Pro-Vac File Plus (sold by myself). These drills have the best features and functions mentioned above, parts are in plentiful supply and service is fast and economical.

Happy drilling!

16. medisrch

medisrch Active Member

Yes I agree that Hadawe is really good. I think Podiacare have some good deals on this drill.

17. alan shepherd

alan shepherd Member

:deadhorse:
    Looking at the previous posts for this problem , it would seem as though the initial
    post has not really been answered. In my experience over many years repairing Podiatry Equipment the answer to the problem would be to purchase a new Moore mandrel.
    An international standard exists for all rotary instruments, the shaft of such items,
    including straight steel burs, tungsten carbide burs ,diamond burs and mandrels ,is
    2.35 mm diameter world wide for dental, podiatry , jewellery instruments .
    Many mandrels are fabricated from brass and are then plated to the 2.35 mm thickness in order to comply with the standard which in turn ensures that the handpiece collet can grip the bur or mandrel securely and spin correctly. A problem can occur with mandrels whereby the friction created by the disc on the foot allows for some slipping of the mandrel in the handpiece and over time, causes the plating to abrade from the mandrel leaving less material on the mandrel shaft for the collet to grip . Generally bur shaft's are fabricated from stainless steel and are harder than brass mandrel's. Another situation that occurs is that fine particles of nail dust builds
    up around the tip of the handpiece then , when a new bur is inserted this dust is pushed into the collet and builds up causing the bur to ride too high for the collet to grip the bur correctly.
    With current "slip in collets" they cannot be adjusted unlike older style parts, therefor a cleaning reamer should be used to clean the collet internally on a regular basis.
    DARE I ASK THE QUESTION ; how many times a year do you service your car, compared with your drill ? But still expect that little motor to run at 20000 rpm's for 10-15 patients a day for ever .

18. medisrch

medisrch Active Member

I agree with you. Not enough is done to service the drills and dust accumulates. I suggest regular vacuuming with a portable device (Black and Decker) to extract dust from drill components. Works well.