Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Restless Leg Syndrome

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Cameron, May 19, 2005.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Latest guidelines and advances for treatment of restless legs syndrome.
    Earley CJ.
    J Clin Psychiatry. 2014 Apr;75(4):e08. doi: 10.4088/JCP.12074nr3c.

2. NewsBot

Articles:
  3. NewsBot

Articles:
    Migraine and restless legs syndrome: A systematic review
    Markus Schürks et al
    Cephalalgia June 20, 2014

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Restless Legs Syndrome in Non-Dialysis Renal Patients: Is It Really That Common?
    Calviño J, Cigarrán S, Lopez LM, Martinez A, Sobrido MJ
    Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine : JCSM : Official Publication of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine [2014]

5. DOGGUSS

DOGGUSS Welcome New Poster

What an amazing response for a relatively minor problem. Huge research studies with lots of equipment and personnel - over an extended period. Complex chemicals with risks associated.Other major diseases allied. Most results ending with "needs more study"! >>> My grandma used a couple of crystals of epsom salts - magnesium sulphate and that worked for several people I personally know. An even more effective instant response treatment is "tonic water" - 300 ml bottle - (quinine) - works immediately. This is hearsay but sure works for my immediate circle of contacts. Errol

6. Griddle

Griddle Welcome New Poster

My Wife was on Ropinirol for 5 years which did help her but she built up a tolerance to the medication and it's effectiveness was considerably reduced.

She now takes pramipexole, which allows her 5 hours sleep at night.

I have however passed on your recommendations for powdered Magnesium.

Thanks

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    Efficacy of the Low-Dose Saccharum Iron Treatment of Idiopathic Restless Legs Syndrome.
    Zhang X, Chen WW, Huang WJ.
    Panminerva Med. 2014 Dec 22

8. NewsBot

Articles:
    Quality of life in patients with primary restless leg syndrome: community-based study
    Marina V. Svetel, Jasmina S. Jovic, Tatjana D. Pekmezovic, Vladimir S. Kostic
    Neurological Sciences; February 2015

9. drhunt1

drhunt1 Well-Known Member

Glad to see docs/researchers from other countries involved in this malady, other than Australia, US and the UK. It is a serious problem. Sleep deprivation can effect the individual in a myriad of ways which the article alludes. MD's/researchers, however, have been describing Growing pains in children as the adolescent form of RLS. They have it exactly backwards. RLS is the adult version of GPs in children...they are a continuum of the same problem. This doesn't imply, however, that because one had GPs as a child, they are doomed to having RLS as an adult. Nor does it imply that a patient with RLS had GPs as a child. There are a number of explanations for all of that which needs to be explored. In the meantime, this April, my article on the two medical dilemmas will be published which should bring some clarity, focus and direction to the discussion.

10. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Matthew,

Which journal should I look out for?

Dieter

11. drhunt1

Podiatry Management Magazine. April issue. On the advice of a vascular/thoracic surgeon whom I used as a peer reviewer, I had it submitted to a monthly journal that has a faster "turn-around time". This info has been in Dr. Block's hands since September. Out of deference and respect to Barry Block, I won't "spill the beans" here...but a hint is in order. Hashkes was wrong.

12. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Matthew,

It's probably ok to talk about the topic as this is (possibly) a different subset of readership, but hey, April isn't too far away. I also have an article pending for PMM, and this was submitted in November'14. Seems like 7-8 month turnaround is the routine. It's a popular journal!

Dieter

13. drhunt1

Dieter-then we're in the same boat time wise. The "weight" and value of the information I'm sharing in that article seriously outweighs the articles that are ahead of me, I'm sure. I won't tell you outright what the answer to the 200 year old question...but I will tell you this...Hashkes was wrong in re to GPs and Brenning was right in re to RLS.

14. NewsBot

Articles:
    This clinical trial was just registered:
    RESTIFFIC™ Foot Wrap Reduces Moderate to Severe Restless Leg Syndrome

15. drhunt1

Well, at least they got the anatomical structure involved in RLS correct...but it's not the intrinsic muscles of the foot that are directly, or even indirectly, responsible. Finally, investigators are "moving away" from heavy metal deficiencies...and that's a good thing.

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Brazilian consensus on guidelines for diagnosis and treatment for restless legs syndrome
    Alan Christmann Fröhlich et al
    Arq. Neuro-Psiquiatr. vol.73 no.3 São Paulo Mar. 2015 (full text)

17. drhunt1

Great article, if for no other reasons than the bibliography is a wonderful resource and solidifies their positioning on treatment for a supposed heavy metal deficiency. Note also the fact that these Brazilian researchers are calling growing pains in children as Pediatric RLS. This has become the standard within the allopathic community. They have it exactly backwards.

Help is on the way, folks...in ~2 weeks.

18. drhunt1

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    An evaluation of sleep quality and the prevalence of restless leg syndrome in vitamin D deficiency
    Tuncay Çakır, Gülsüm Doğan, Volkan Subaşı, Meral Bilgilisoy Filiz, Nur Ülker, Şebnem Koldaş Doğan, Naciye Füsun Toraman
    Acta Neurologica Belgica; April 2015

20. NewsBot

Articles:
    Increased prevalence of restless legs syndrome in patients with Crohn's disease.
    Hoek, Patrick D.; Smits, Marcel G.; de Roos, Nicole M.; Rijsman, Roselyne M.; Witteman, Ben J.M.

European Journal of Gastroenterology & Hepatology: May 4, 2015

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    Genetics of Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS)
    Eva C. Schulte MD, PhD, Juliane Winkelmann MD
    Movement Disorder Genetics; 2015, pp 331-351

22. NewsBot

Articles:
    Willis-Ekbom Disease or Restless Legs Syndrome?
    K Carlos et al
    Sleep Medicine; Available online 2 July 2015

23. drhunt1

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    Natural course of restless legs syndrome/Willis-Ekbom disease: Long-term observation of a large clinical cohort
    Thomas Mitterling, Anna Heidbreder, Ambra Stefani, Josef Fritz, Hanno Ulmer, Werner Poewe, Birgit Högl
    Sleep Medicine; 20 July 2015

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    Musculoskeletal pain is associated with restless legs syndrome in young adults
    Stijn J. Hoogwout et al
    BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2015, 16:294 doi:10.1186/s12891-015-0765-1

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    Restless legs syndrome and pregnancy: prevalence, possible pathophysiological mechanisms and treatment
    R. Gupta et al
    Acta Neurologica Scandinavica; Early View

27. NewsBot

Articles:
    A peripheral pathway to restless legs syndrome? Clues from familial amyloid polyneuropathy
    Tiago Teodoro et al
    Parkinsonism & Related Disorders; 21 October 2015

28. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Humanistic and Economic Burden of Restless Legs Syndrome.
    Durgin T et al
    PLoS One. 2015 Oct 26;10(10):e0140632. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0140632. eCollection 2015

29. NewsBot

Articles:
    Impaired vascular endothelial function in patients with restless legs syndrome: A new aspect of the vascular pathophysiology
    Seung Yon Koh, Min Seung Kim, Sun Min Lee, Ji Man Hong, Jung Han Yoon
    The Journal of the Neurological Sciences ; Article in Press

30. NewsBot

Articles:
    Symptom Severity of Restless Legs Syndrome Predicts Its Clinical Course
    Chung Suk Lee et al
    The American Journal of Medicine; 7 January 2016

31. NewsBot

Articles:
    Using near infrared light to manage symptoms associated with restless legs syndrome.
    Guffey JS et al
    Physiother Theory Pract. 2016 Jan 12:1-11

32. NewsBot

Articles:
    Restless legs syndrome associated with major diseases
    A systematic review and new concept

Claudia Trenkwalder, MD, Richard Allen, PhD, Birgit H?gl, MD, Walter Paulus, MD and Juliane Winkelmann, MD
    Neurology 10.1212/WNL.0000000000002542

33. NewsBot

Articles:
    The effects of two methods of reflexology and stretching exercises on the severity of restless leg syndrome among hemodialysis patients
    Nahid Shahgholian et al
    Iranian J Nursing Midwifery Res; Year : 2016 | Volume : 21 | Issue : 3 | Page : 219-224

34. drhunt1

35. NewsBot

Articles:
    Prevalence of restless legs syndrome in professional cyclists
    M. Kwiatkowski, U. Cwalina, P. Kosielski, K. Simonienko, P. Wierzbinski, N. Wygnał, N. Waszkiewicz
    European Psychiatry > 2016 > 33 > Supplement > S320

36. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Effect of Stretching Exercises on Severity of Restless Legs Syndrome in Patients on Hemodialysis
    Mansooreh Aliasgharpour et al
    Asian Journal of Sports Medicine. Inpress(Inpress): e31001

37. drhunt1

These studies do little more than to point out the overall interest in RLS. Its the obscure, complicated and even dubious studies, however, that provide few answers. I have a better idea...why not simplify the malady? My work continues...

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    Determination of restless legs syndrome prevalence in children aged 13–16 years in the provincial center of Kayseri
    Huseyin Per et al
    Brain and Development; 22 September 2016

39. NewsBot

Articles:
    Comparative Efficacy of Treatments for Restless Legs Syndrome: A Network Meta-analysis
    Lana Alghothani; Imran Iftikhar, MBBS
    Chest. 2016;150(4_S):1267A. doi:10.1016/j.chest.2016.08.1381

40. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Prevalence of Fibromyalgia in Patients with Restless
    Legs Syndrome

Huzursuz Bacaklar Sendromlu Hastalarda Fibromiyalji Görülme Sıklığı
    Turk J Neurol 2016;22:161-166