Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Precision Intricast Newsletter Book - #3

Discussion in 'Podiatry and Related Books' started by Kevin Kirby, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The title for my third collection of Precision Intricast Newsletters is Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics III: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 2002-2008.

I am currently putting the finishing touches on the book and hope to have it printed within the next few months.

For those of you who want to know about what will be covered in this third in the series of Precision Intricast Newsletter Books, I have provided the table of contents below. The book contains 71 illustrations that I have drawn to help explain the material being covered in the newsletters. In addition, the book includes a whole chapter devoted exclusively to introducing and explaining biomechanics and engineering terminology to the average clinician in a manner that should allow them to better understand the direction that modern podiatric biomechanics is headed.

2. Congratulations, Kevin.

You must be very proud to be putting the final touches to volume 3. These texts not only form a valuable resource to the student and clinician alike, but also document the evolution of your thinking over the last couple of decades. These are almost your professional memoirs. These books are brilliant and should be standard text for any student of the subject- enough gas from me for one Sunday, pig boy. :pigs:;):D

Y'man is a credit to the profession. Anyone asked the question "where do you see yourself in x years time?".... look no further and there's your exemplar to follow-. Hard work + dedication + understanding family = Prof. Kirby (don't tell him I said that though- Pam and the offspring already know BTW;))

For students looking for inspiration- "All of this, all of this can be yours" vertigo U2

Think on that, and then read Kirby. Changed my life.

Well done Kevin.:drinks:drinks:

3. Steve The Footman

Steve The Footman Active Member

The first book helped me immensely as a new grad. I still use them as a reference source and especially for training prac students and new pods. While there are many books and articles out there in podiatryland Kevin has been able to distill the most important and clinically useful concepts in podiatry into one place. The writing and presentation is engaging, concise and easy to understand. This makes them much more than a text book that gathers dust on the shelf. They are a good read and an ongoing resource.

I especially am looking forward to the chapter about the Biomechanics of Running.

Thanks Kevin and how do we pre-order?

4. Thanks for that, Steve. I'll need to talk to the lab about ordering details for the new book. When I find that out, I'll post it here on Podiatry Arena. This book will be about the same length as the second book.:santa:

5. Thank you very much, Simon.:drinks

Now a little story......

When I first started this intellectual journey, back in 1984-1985, I basically had no one to bounce ideas off of since I couldn't find anybody that understood what I was trying to do. It seemed that everyone else in the CCPM Biomechanics Department was still teaching subtalar joint (STJ) neutral theory and neutral position orthosis therapy and I was alone with my ideas. In fact, a few of my students, as their graduating gift to me in 1985 from my Biomechanics Fellowship, gave me a T-shirt that read "Beam me up, Scotty" on the back, to poke fun that I seemed to be coming from another planet when I taught them "biomechanics".

Thank goodness, a few years after me came a podiatry student, and then Biomechanics Fellow, named Eric Fuller, that understood the concepts I was teaching and began, along with me, teaching these concepts in a CCPM Biomechanics Department that was still very much dedicated to teaching only STJ neutral theory. Eric deserves much credit for the frustration he endured in his "adventure" of teaching at CCPM during these years.

Later on, I was very fortunate to meet, become friends and learn from individuals such as Simon Spooner, Craig Payne and Bart VanGheluwe, professors that all have a gift for teaching and who all understood the importance of moving the podiatry profession toward a more scientifically-based biomechanics curriculum. To all these individuals, I will ever be grateful for the inspiration and support that they have given me over the years in our quest to improve the knowledge of the international podiatric medical profession in biomechanics and foot orthosis therapy.:drinks

6. Asher

Asher Well-Known Member

Hi Kevin,

This book is going to be great, I'm especially looking forward to Chapters 2-5, I know they will help me a great deal. Can't wait.

I'll be re-reading your first two books over my two-week summer break!

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Rebecca

7. Donna

Donna Active Member

Hi Kevin,

It looks awesome! I'm excited... can't wait! :D

Regards

Donna

8. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

I can't keep up with Kevin I am still wading my way through the small collection of papers of his that I have, for the second and third time in some cases!

In all seriousness this looks excellent Kevin. Congratulations on another wonderful effort.

Regards,

9. Just took the manuscript for the book to the printer today. The book should be ready to be mailed out in a month. It will have a "red marble" cover to complement the green marble of the first book and blue marble for the second book.

10. Steve The Footman

Steve The Footman Active Member

You should see if they would print a single book of all three volumes. I bet that podiatrists who have just come upon it would find that very useful. Together they make a bit of a history of the evolution of modern biomechanics in Podiatry.

11. We decided against printing a single 22 year newsletter book since many people already have the first two books and the extra cost of a larger book with redundant material for them didn't seem like a very good idea.

12. CEM

CEM Active Member

kevin,

can't wait, is there an easy way to order for shipping to the UK?

many thanks

13. bkelly11

bkelly11 Active Member

How can i obtain the 1st book?

14. The first book is currently sold out. We expect to reprint it sometime this year. You may contact Precision Intricast, Inc. for ordering information. http://www.dpmlab.com/html/bookreview.html

15. My third book just arrived from the printer today: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics III: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 2002-2008. They should be ready for shipment within the next few weeks. I will try to have contact, pricing and shipping information ready for those who want to purchase the book within the next week. An image of the front cover is shown below.

Attached Files:

16. Griff

Griff Moderator

Hi Kevin,

Any more information on the ordering/contact/shipping details for the third book yet?

Ian

17. Ian:

I should know within a week. The books are currently being shipped to the lab in Arizona.

18. Griff

Griff Moderator

Thanks for this Kevin. Apologies for my impatience - been eagerly awaiting this for some time!

Ian

19. Precision Intricast is now taking pre-sale orders for my latest book at the following weblink:

Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics III: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 2002-2008. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, AZ, 2009.

We are still waiting for the freight company to deliver the books to the lab in Payson, Arizona from the printer in Sacramento, California. Latest word is that they should arriving in about two weeks to the lab.

Craig was kind enough to put a little advert on the right hand side of some of the Podiatry Arena pages which shows the cover of the new book. All three books look pretty cool sitting side by side on my office library shelf!

20. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Foot & Lower Extremity Biomechanics III

Hello Pod People :D !

This is my first thread starter on this forum :D ... there should be a hooray smilie in the list.

Anyway, I have just noticed a book advertised on the forum... Foot & Lower Extremity Biomechanics III - Kevin A. Kirby, DPM , MS. It looks interesting. When I went to check out the ordering details I noticed that there is also... Foot & Lower Extremity Biomechanics II - Kevin A. Kirby, DPM , MS. Does anyone know (I'm sure Dr. Kirby at least would) if the III edition is an upgrade of the II edition, or is it a continuance (with different material) from the II. It would seem to me that, according to the cover of the III edition it would be a continuance, as it states... "Newsletters, 2002 -2008".

Just wanted to make sure before I order - as if they are both different it may be worth buying the II & III editions together.

Kind regards,
    Matthew.

21. Griff

Griff Moderator

Re: Foot & Lower Extremity Biomechanics III

Hi Matthew,

There are 3 seperate books - all of which books in their own right (not updates).

Well worth owning all 3 in my opinion

Ian

22. BEN-HUR

Thanks Ian.

That was the word I was looking for "update" - not "upgrade" ... I knew it started with a "u".

I figured that could have been the case. Unfortunately the first edition is out of stock, thus why I only mentioned II & III :boohoo:... there should be a crying 'smilie' (don't mean to pick on your smilie list).

Kind regards,
    Matthew

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  23. Re: Foot & Lower Extremity Biomechanics III

Matt:

The third book, Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics III: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 2002-2008. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, AZ, 2009, was just printed a week ago and will be on its way to the Precision Intricast Orthosis Lab in Payson, Arizona soon (we've had some problems with the shipping company, but it seems now to be worked out).

The third book is a totally different book than the first book (Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics: A Ten Year Collection of Precision Intricast Newsletters. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, Arizona, 1997) or second book of Precision Intricast Newsletters (Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics II: Precision Intricast Newsletters, 1997-2002. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, AZ, 2002). We hope to soon be reprinting the first book also since it is sold out for now.

Each of my newsletter books are a independent collection of monthly newsletters that I have written every month and each newsletter is an article in itself. Here is the table of contents for the third book which is now in the pre-ordering stage. Hope you enjoy it.

24. Griff

Griff Moderator

Matt,

I have recently pre-ordered the third book, and the first two have rarely left my desk at work for the last several years. Even the physiotherapists I work with have often asked to borrow them. I'd say you are best to get Vol II and III at the same time then watch the website like a hawk for news of when the first is back in stock! These are valuable resources - hope they bring you as much use as they have me.

Ian

25. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

{Threads Merged}

26. BEN-HUR

My thread has merged. Found this a bit hard to find as I was looking for a different title. The following now looks a bit silly, now positioned at post # 20...
    I suppose I should have looked harder throughout the forum for this topic. I'll do better next time :eek:.

Thanks Kevin & Ian for your responses - I will order II & III now while I can & wait for the first to come back in stock.

Kevin:

I take it you will let us know when the first edition is back in stock.

Thanks for rehashing post 1 for me. The contents look very interesting - some great topics. I think I'll be heading to chapter 13 first, then chapter 3 ...

Much reading ahead.

Regards,
    Matt.

27. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Kevin: what is the uptake of the 'newer' podiatry paradigm within the US Podiatry schools ? Are schools still teaching principally Root, Orion & Weed, or is this, and other developments, embraced more readily in podiatric biomechanics curricula ?

28. Dieter:

Don't actually know of what they teach at any podiatry school other than the California School of Podiatric Medicine, where I lecture about 4-5 times a year. My article titled "Are Root Biomechanics Dying?" will be published next month in Podiatry Today magazine and I'll provide a link to it when it comes out. My article should address your questions to some extent.

The bottom line is that, my theories, techniques and lectures are more popular in other countries than in the United States. Maybe when I die my theories will become more popular in my home country?:cool:

29. Berms

Berms Active Member

Thanks Kevin, looking forward to purchasing your new book.

Do you (or anyone else) have a link or are able to paste up the table of contents of book II?

Much appreciated.

30. Here is the table of contents from my second book.

31. Berms

Berms Active Member

Thanks Kevin, much appreciated.

32. Grover

Grover Member

33. Peter:

I'll put one of the books in my luggage so you can look at it. My wife, Pam, and I are looking forward to the seminar in Punta Cana and we have our swim suits packed and ready to go in a few days. Can't wait for a little vacation and a little lecturing to go along with the vacation!

Here's the beach.......:cool:

Attached Files:

34. Grover

Grover Member

My patients having been teasing me because I'm excited about going to the lectures. They were under the impression that it's an excuse to get away. Then I start going on and on about STJ axis location and they seem to believe me.

...our just think I'm a nerd! ;)

Sarah (my better half) will have to hit the beach without me every once and a while during the week.

Looking forward to seeing you there Kevin.

Peter Grover Greaves D.Ch.

35. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Active Member

Precision Intricast newsletter vol 1 query....for Kevin Kirby

Hi Dr. Kirby,

I was on your precision intricast website trying to order your books....and it is saying that Vol 1 is out of stock.
    Is there any way on earth that i can get a copy of Vol 1??? If so please direct me in the right way.
    I have recently graduated and want to start using your biomechanical theories for prescribing my orthotics...........will i get enough information from vol 2 and 3 to do this? Or is Vol 1 vital to completely understanding your theory (I have a fairly good understanding from reading some of your papers......) ???
    Thank you in advance,

36. Re: Precision Intricast newsletter vol 1 query....for Kevin Kirby

Foot Doc:

We are planning on reprinting the first book (Kirby KA: Foot and Lower Extremity Biomechanics: A Ten Year Collection of Precision Intricast Newsletters. Precision Intricast, Inc., Payson, Arizona, 1997) soon. Precision Intricast sold out of the first book a few months before they were getting ready to print the 1,000 copies of the third book that was just published about a month ago, so there was quite a bit of money needed to try and do both at the same time.

You can try e-mailing Jennifer Smith at jennifer@dpmlab.com, who runs the lab, to put you on the list of others who are waiting for the first book. As a recent graduate, the first book would be the most valuable for you since the second and third books are more technically sophisticated. Possibly you can borrow a book from one of your colleagues for a short time. Sorry for the inconvenience.

37. Foot Doc

Foot Doc Active Member

Thank you for the speedy reply.
    I am really looking forward to getting a hold of all your books. I'll make sure i put my name on the waiting list (which im sure is very very long).
    Thanks again

38. Hey Kevin,

I have just recieved your 2nd and 3rd books in the mail today, and have to admit, I'm pretty well through the 3rd book already, it's great and congratulations.

I enjoyed the Biomechanics of running chapter, and just wanted to hear more of your thoughts on volume 4 (June 2004), where the emphasis is on the position the center of mass (CoM), and how it changes from walking to running to faster running. I found it an interesting how you mentioned with faster running, the foot is placed directly under the CoM, creating a 'running limb varus', thus minimising side to side motions of CoM in order to optimise mechanical efficiency of running.

In was interesting reading this, before when viewing many athletes (track athletes in this case), that it is common that a running limb varus will be present, I tend to notice this greater with women. Although I will use an example of an olympic 100 --> 800m final, and you will find this running limb varus position is not present on all athletes in these races (especially 1/200 races). There seems to be a mix of athletes who will place there foot directly on the line of progression (foot directly under CoM), and those other athletes who have each foot strike placed laterally to the CoM.

Now it is stated that running limb varus is a necessary kinematic adaptation of the human body to improve running efficiency, could this have possibly been proposed for the middle distance --> distance runner more so?

Athletes like Ato Bolden and Maurice Green (both world champions) had minimal running limb varus of memory, and even some of the 400m world leaders. Also attending the Stawell Gift (Australia's biggest Pro footrace - 120m), it was evident that this running limb varus was in some, but not all athletes. The final consisted of 6 athletes, all, who in my opinion had minimal running limb varus

So is running limb varus necessary for improved running efficiency?

Really enjoyable newsletters!

Warm Regards,

Michael Nitschke

39. Michael:

Glad to hear you are enjoying the book.

Running limb varus will also be present in distance runners but seems to be dependent on running speed. For a 6:00 min/mile pace and faster, an increase in limb varus versus walking is quite evident in nearly all runners I have seen. Of course, if the runners have a tibial valgum to start with in standing and walking, their lower extremities may not invert enough during faster running to develop much of a varus alignement, but they will tend to bring their feet more under their center of mass with faster running when compared to their standing/walking leg posture.

I have attached a photo of my lower leg while running about 5:30 min/mile pace from 1985 during my Biomechanics Fellowship when I was running about 70 miles/week. The increase in my limb varus with running is on the order of 5-7 degrees when compared to my walking alignment. This increase in varus alignment, I believe, is a necessary kinematic adaption that most runners will use as they increase from jogging to running/sprinting speeds.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

40. Deborah Ferguson

Deborah Ferguson Active Member

Hi Kevin
    I have just this second ordered volume ll from the website and am looking forward to reading it. Do you know when vol. l will be reprinted. The company have my e-mail address - would they be able to alert me when it becomes available or shall i follow PA threads? Thanks in advance
    Regards
    Deborah