Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Pay Grades Australia and what do you need to be recognised as Grade 2?

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by podofpenzance, Apr 29, 2016.

1. podofpenzance

podofpenzance Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I am currently working for a rural hospital in Australia.
    I have year and half private practice experience, worked in NHS for a year and now in Australian hospital for almost 14/15 months. I started here under the wing of a more senior podiatrist, however she had a lot of long service leave to use, then long term sickness for a month and now another couple of months.
    I have been running the show for awhile, and run outreach and community centre, also look at a few wounds at hospital when they come up and cover aged care. We have now taken on another podiatrist new grad and I am training her up. I also take on emergencys of for example wounds and toe fractures and can fit offloading boots. I see paediatrics and fulfil any referral that is sent, I triage and see biomechanics, chronic diseases anything. Also supervised students.
    It is a small hospital but when I asked regarding grade 2, I am brushed off, I often wake up like now at 4 in morning and feel with all the work I do and baring responsibility is not recognised. Apparently I need join committees to be grade 2? I explained I have had not much time, I am going to write a letter but would like be pointed in direction of frame works I can follow. Appreciate any advice, Thankyou.

2. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

If you are doing your seniors job description then you should be getting higher duties allowance to that level. Are you in a union? If your Senior is still in post then it is unlikely you can regrade at this moment. However if you are clearly doing her/his JDF in their absence write a letter stating this to HR and contact the union rep.
    Ros Kidd

3. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

For public podiatrists why aren't you? ...... The union assists in negotiating pay and conditions; to me if you're not in a union then you should 'donate' the equivalent premium to them, otherwise you are bludging IMO, mark

4. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

Whilst I strongly agree Mark you can not force folks to join its just very advantagous to be in a union , as would be the case here. I was in the HSU and I can see after the very public "goings on" that people may feel its a rort.
    Regards
    Ros

5. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Goodaye Ros, agree, can't force them; I was in the HSU also; Michael Williamson, especially, responsible for major fraud; nothing to do with unionism though; all the best, mark

6. podofpenzance

podofpenzance Member

Thankyou - all.
    Guess will have to wait and see whether senior podiatrist comes back. If however they want to employ another new grad and use allied health assistant. It would look bad surely, having three grades 1 and an allied health assistant running podiatry in a hospital.

7. brekin

brekin Active Member

Always refer to your award. Below is an excerpt from the standalone Victorian CHS award, though yours will be similar. Note that supervision alone of students should be enough for Grade 2 via my interpretation.

53 NOTIFICATION OF CLASSIFICATION AND RECLASSIFICATION
    53.1 The grades and classifications of all Employees will be determined consistent with the Classification Definitions in Schedule C.
    53.2 Employees will, upon appointment, be advised in writing of their classification under this Agreement.
    53.3 Where an Employee believes that the work performed is better described by another classification, the Employee may seek to be reclassified to that classification by notifying the Employer in writing, addressing the classification criteria of both the current and proposed classification.
    53.4 The Employer will provide a written response to the requested reclassification within 4 weeks, addressing both the current and proposed classification.
    53.5 At any time, either the Employee or Employer may refer a request for reclassification to the dispute settlement procedures of this Agreement.

1.13.1 Podiatrist Grade 1 (Qualified)
    An Employee employed as such who is eligible to be registered as a Podiatrist under the National Registration and Accreditation Scheme with the Podiatry Board of Australia.
    1.13.2 Podiatrist Grade 2
    A Podiatrist is required to undertake additional responsibilities, for example:
    a. teaching Podiatry students; or
    b. perform work which requires special knowledge or depth of experience in any one or more of the following: diabetes mellitus peripheral vascular disease, cerebro-vascular accident, arthroses, orthotic/prosthetic therapy, nail surgery and local anaesthesia; or
    c. is required to take charge of a Section or Annexe of the Podiatry Department; or
    d. holds an equivalent position at a smaller establishment, such as a day hospital/centre, nursing home or community health centre.

8. podofpenzance

podofpenzance Member

Thankyou thats great,
    My allied health manager did say I have to look at the awards. I am unsure how I find them? Is it my contract as that was quite basic or is it through Ahpra - guess I am used to NHS system and am finding it hard to find anything.
    Thankyou sorry I feel like people are having to spoon feed me here and I do appreciate everyone's help, just abit lost at the moment!

9. brekin

brekin Active Member

Payroll or the union should be able to provide you with the relevant award. Failing that your Allied Health Manager should be easily able to access the award.

10. podofpenzance

podofpenzance Member

Thankyou, I spoke to allied health manager who said I should see him as part of department to help offload the responsibility. I was abit unwell yesterday so almost agreed with him, then thought with his training he would have no idea what a podiatrist does. So all the complex patients inc wounds he would have no idea. Decided I will speak to HR manager and if they don't think I'm suitable as grade 2 will say they have to recruit a senior podiatrist meanwhile. I have a wedding to plan coming up in 4/5 months so be quite happy to have less stress lol!

11. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

If you are undertaking "higher duties" which it sounds like you are, apply for the allowance. Get your JDF and the JDF of your senior and compare them, site the difference between the two. Get the form for "higher duties allowance" and submit them to the Regrading Committee. Better still join and talk to the union. No one can stop you applying even if you have had such a wishy washy management response. Remember that you are doing this for the person who comes after you, they will be asked to do the same if you don't stand up for your rights.
    Ros

12. brekin

brekin Active Member

From my award re higher duties:

24.5 Higher duties allowance
    An Employee who is authorised to assume the duties of another Employee on a higher classification under this Agreement for a period of five or more consecutive working days shall be paid for the period for which he or she assumed such duties at not less than the minimum rate prescribed for the classification applying to the Employee so relieved.