Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Maximum No. Pts in Resthome

Discussion in 'Gerontology' started by Emmers, Mar 6, 2015.

1. Emmers

Emmers Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I'm just curious when it comes to rest home work what would most people consider as a maximum number of patients to be seen per day? Especially if you are having to go from room to room rather than patients being brought to you?

Thanks

2. fayp

fayp Member

For me it's about how many sets of instruments I take, as well as what need doing. I take 25 sets of instruments, but usually do about 18/19 patients, mostly nail cutting as they are wheel chair or bed bound. But I make sure each gets a check up too.

3. jonnorthants

jonnorthants Member

It depends a lot on the layout of the home and how much assistance they can give you (you will get more if you are friendly!) Some homes most clients are brought to you some you will have to go room to room. After that it depends of course on how much work needs to be done. A care home with young adults with learning difficulties is likely to be quite quick however a nursing home for the elderly will take much more time as much more needs to be done.

between 10 to 25 clients in one day is probably a rough guide and of course you need enough instruments to cover that.

Remember if you are new to care home work that it will depend also on the following factors.

- you cannot work during meal breaks
    - activities may be going on in the home
    -most homes do not like health professionals coming in before 930am or 10am.
    - some homes will not mind you working after the residents tea some will.

hope this is helpful . Many chiropodist do not like working in care homes. I find it very rewarding and enjoyable

4. zsuzsanna

zsuzsanna Active Member

I have been warned to keep away from 'rest homes' when I was training and has never visited them. I can see how financially rewarding it is to be able to see 15-20 patients in one place, but the trouble is that often there is no real communication between chiropodist and patient. But somebody has to do it!

5. sharonm

sharonm Member

I worked in one for about 18 months, and used to do a maximum of 14 per day (because I had 14 sets of instruments). I found that I had to allow a long time for lunch breaks, because the residents did not want to be seen just before lunch, in case the carers came for them. Then you had to allow time for them all to get o lunch, eat and be taken back to their rooms. Often in the afternoon they would have entertainment arranged, so many of them didn't want to see me then either. Together with the joys of lugging my kit around from room to room, and the lower fees paid in homes, I made a financial decision to revert to domi work - but despite all of the above, I do miss the staff and some of the lovely residents I met there