Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sydney podiatrist defends claims of unsatisfactory conduct

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NewsBot, Oct 17, 2014.

Tags:
  1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Sydney podiatric surgeon Paul Bours defends claims after being found guilty of unsatisfactory conduct when woman with bunions had three toes amputated

2. Tim Foran

Tim Foran Active Member

What does this mean for podiatric surgeons in Australia? Will it ever be recognized? I really don't know how these ladies and men continue to bump their heads against a never ending brick wall.

3. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

If podiatric surgeons do minimally invasive surgery for bunions in Australia, they will not get recognized due to the high complication rate and inferior results despite any published research. Podiatric surgeons also must understand the mechanics of the foot to choose the appropriate procedure and always exhaust conservative measures first.

Discernment is also very important and surgeons forget there is a real person attached to the foot. Some of these patients for different reasons should be treated conservatively if possible as they have a higher risk for complications.

Steven

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  5. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

Its amazing that they have used his instagram account pictures they way they have, it gives the whole article a tabloid feel to it, very cheap and more of a personal attack than dealing with the facts.

Did anyone check the two clients to see if they had different size feet prior to the surgery?
    Most that have a bunion operation have a shorter greater toe after the operation, but not the entire foot.

6. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

If this is true, it is disgraceful. What on earth was he thinking calling up the professional review colleague and abusing him?!

7. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Beware of tabloid journalism. The man is innocent until proven guilty.

Bill Liggins

8. Try telling that to Cliff Richard.

9. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

But according to the reports the NSW Podiatrist Trubunal has finalised the matter and found him guilty? Is the Hansard available for us to read yet??

10. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Welcome New Poster

New to here, so didn't know of rule about inserting links in reply posts, so apologies if this info appears twice.

You can go to the Health Care Complaints Commission website and the media release is on the front page.
    http://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/action/PJUDG?jgmtid=174652
    When reading the media release, click on the Caselaw NSW link and you can download the full 55 page document.

Settle in, cause it is quite the read!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2014
  11. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

Here is the Press Release:
    Dr Paul Bours – Tribunal finds professional misconduct
    16 October 2014

12. bours2024

bours2024 Welcome New Poster

Whoa! What a mess, yes “Surfboy”
    ! I did after a bottle of red leave a message, and it was wrong to do so, strike 1, strike 2 I did give panadeine forte to a few patients post-surgery, and strike 3 I also have been found guilty of not providing pre and post op care.
    Some facts which you may want to consider before the public beheading, which has become popular lately with ISIL. I provided photos of drawings on patients feet of intended surgery and notes from Front Desk both were not taken into consideration in the findings (Front desk when you print does not time stamp, but includes the date of origin of the note and any revisions after, but does not have a date time on the printout but only on the computer screen which looked like I embellished my notes). The different foot size was because a patient was due to have the other foot treated at a later date. The amputation of toes case is hotly contested and still in civil proceedings; the HCCC decided that if a patient calls you and you are out of range or have your phone switched off, then when you come back into range or when you switch your phone on that is the time the call registers; in this case I had no calls for 3 days then all of a sudden lots, so I must have been out of range? The photos provided pre, intra, and post operations (I do this for all surgical patients) were not mentioned in the findings even though all patients identified their feet in the photos including one patient with plasters in the debris tray, inconvenient truth.

The tribunal was not critical of my surgical performance but the peri-management. As they say in the classics it’s not over until the fat lady sings, but I admit she is starting to warm up; but I still have the ability to appeal in the Supreme Court if I can spare a few hundred thousand. The HCCC want to cancel my practice rights for 2 years with a $200,000 costs burden- and I thought ISIL was tough. I find out my fate some time in Feb-March. Oh, and the Instagram photo of me with man-boobs was taken earlier this year after 18 months battling to save my leg from amputation after osteomyelitis. I was resting in a kids wading pool with a celebratory wine after the 5th surgery was successful in keeping it.
    Fraternally,
    Paul Bours.

13. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

I am only part way through reading the document linked above however this line is extremely concerning:

"Radiological measures taken on 2 November 2009, four months after the surgery, revealed that there wasn't radiological fusion:

"The prior surgery is noted with multiple orthopaedic pins and remnants in the tissues but no joint effusion detected..." (X-ray report of Dr Kenneth Sesel, CV1, Tab 7)."

If I can find this error within 3 mins of starting to read what other errors might be in that document?

EFFUSION and FUSION are NOT the same thing.....

14. trevor

trevor Active Member

Paul,
    My understanding is that if you access the metadata on your computer you will find that every entry you make is date and time stamped. This means that the time/date of any entry, deletion or change is always recorded.
    Have a look at the latest APMA journal there is an article about this.
    I just skimmed it, but it but it appears Metadata has ramifications for everyone who uses electronic files.
    Good luck

15. trevor

trevor Active Member

16. Boots n all

So in hindsight is this a short fall in the Front desk system in your opinion?

17. bours2024

Yes, I believe it is a problem that needs to be fixed pronto. The information is there, but how it is presented isn't convincing. The time clock doesn't print out on the notes only the date of the created note. On the computer screen the information is there but you would need to screen print each note and any possible revisions to prove they were contemporaneous. In my naivety I just printed my notes with revisions and they were deemed not to be contemporaneous.

I also had proof of time spent with patients based on the payment of the last patient and the payment time of the next patient in question and that wasn’t considered. Even photos of patients with markings were not considered because the attachment in front desk doesn’t include the time stamp information of the original photo, only the time you uploaded into front desk. It’s a mess, and remember, as a practitioner this is the first time I have needed to get this information so it’s not something that I am familiar with. This is the first time I have heard of metadata and where it is located. My problem is I can no longer present the information or go to a retrial- Supreme Court

18. AH29

AH29 Active Member

Wouldn't fancy Australia myself personally - all those creepy crawlies, a monotone climate, far from everywhere, insular, and ex-convict settlers.

Good'ay maayte!

:bang::boxing::sinking:

19. AH29

AH29 Active Member

Bad luck buddy,

:boxing:

:hammer:

:sinking:

20. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

You got me, i'll bite. fascinating wildlife (what we haven't made extinct that it), did you mean 'monotonous' (tell that to Melbournites), far from everywhere (it's all relative), insular (need to extrapolate on that one), and the old bogey-man "ex-convict settlers", yep wherever you got guys and gals in striped pyjamas running amok. Terrible place, DON'T COME!

21. W J Liggins

I drove from Sydney to Melbourne a few years ago. Great, interesting country - and I'd only scraped the surface. Met some really open, fun people and was introduced to the concept of 'the slab'. Didn't meet any convicts - they've got them locked up or sent back. Only downside was that the beer was a bit cold and they can't play cricket.

Pommie Bastard Bill

22. AH29

AH29 Active Member

You make a good defence. But...

There is a known racism problem in Australia which I have learned through media and conversations.

It also has an iffy history - what happened to the aborigines? where did they go? Their rights have been suppressed for a long time.

Let me explain insular. It is extremely tight in who it lets into its country, which is ironic considering they displaced aborigines in the first place. Try getting a visa to get into Australia - Ha!

Cheers

:boxing: :butcher:

23. There is racism, sexism, discrimination - and quite obviously, stupidity everywhere - even amongst so-called professionals. What is the point you're trying to make exactly?

24. AH29

AH29 Active Member

'Ever since the British first invaded, Aboriginal peoples have had their land stolen from them or destroyed. Until 1992, when it was finally overturned, the legal principle governing British and then Australian law regarding Aboriginal land was that of ‘terra nullius’ – that the land was empty before the British arrived, belonged to no-one, and could legitimately be taken over.

Most has still to be returned today, and the loss of their land has had a devastating social and physical impact on Aboriginal peoples.

The initial invasions also sparked huge waves of disease that killed thousands – many others were massacred. In just over one hundred years from the first invasion of their land, their numbers were reduced from up to an estimated one million to only 60,000'

(http://www.survivalinternational.org/tribes/aboriginals)

Makes for sober reading doesn't it? I don't think I could watch Neighbours again with the same conviction (pun intended)

:butcher:

25. AH29

AH29 Active Member

More interesting reading.....

'During much of the 20th century, outright killings were replaced with a policy of removing Aboriginal children from their parents and giving them to white families or placing them in mission schools, to eradicate traces of Aboriginal culture and language.

Today they still face racist attitudes, and there are periodic incidents of violence towards them, particularly affecting those in police custody. Their generally poor living conditions mean that Aboriginal people have a far higher infant mortality rate and suicide rate and a lower life expectancy than the rest of the population, and they make up a disproportionate section of the prison population.'

(http://www.survivalinternational.org/tribes/aboriginals).

:sinking:

26. W J Liggins

Yes, all terrible but it's history and the important thing is to tackle the residue now because breast beating helps no-one.

After all, Aussies used to call us (the British) Pommie Bastards.

Pommie Bastard Bill

27. AH29

AH29 Active Member

Ha Ha Ha....that's actually rather amusing. 'Pommy' - Ha!

I believe it refers to the pale skinned English people's skin turning the colour of a pomegranate in the Australian sun.

Picture of a pommy below:

:bang:

28. PostMortem

PostMortem Active Member

It's amazing how belief and ignorance go hand in hand!

For your education, POHM as it originally occurred was printed on the convicts' clothing and stands for Prisoner of Her Majesty. The amazing ability of the optimist and general British/Australian humour is to see the irony of a situation. In the end it was not the convict that was the POHM but those that remained back in the mother-land.

You make yourself look foolish when talk about things you clearly are not qualified to talk about.
    :bang:

29. Boots n all

You are right Postmorem, AH29 (Abul Hasnath) is based in England and knows little to nothing about Australia.

30. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

One should always be careful about making funny remarks about England - I mean, lets face it, there is nothing funny about England.............................

31. W J Liggins

What rubbish you do speak Rob. I mean, look at our governments(s), look at our road systems, look at our relationship with the EU, above all look at our weather - all hilarious. On second thoughts, you're right, I'm going away to cry. :empathy:

Cheers

Bill

32. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

Hold fast Bill pour something cold and chill..breath. When we were in the UK a few weeks ago the papers had headlines almost identical to Oz. Government, immigration, drugs blah blah, oh but weather it only rained twice we were there for 8 weeks! So guess you will have a drought soon, wow just like Oz. History makes sad reading for most nations, but it just that history and should be a lesson and guide for living in the here and now.
    Ahh wisdom and cold Barossa wine a good combination to tackle the worlds problems.
    Ros

33. trevor

trevor Active Member

Smartsoft has made this change in the latest upgrade.

"CLINICAL NOTES
    - Added option to print the Last Modified date on Clinical Notes"

34. NewsBot

Articles:
  35. NewsBot

Articles:
    Woman sues podiatrist Paul Bours after 'stiletto' surgery led to amputation of toes

36. bours2024

For those interested, I have never heard the term stiletto surgery, and she showed me the photo of the shoes, and I gave an incredulous look as here she presented with trophic issues and derangement and she wanted to wear stilettos I should have taken the cue and advised her to go somewhere else. The patient had end stage RA derangement of her forefoot, including dislocation of ALL her MTPJ's. I operated on her first foot and she was happy to return 6 months latter for the other. WHat is in contention is why she was in the hospital car park having a cigarette and continued against advice during her recovery and whose medications she took after surgery because she wasnt prescribed what she was taking, and why she waited 3 days to call, and why did she present at emergency department and lave after 25 minutes claiming "they couldn't help her, because they didn't' know what had been done', at no stage did she loosen the outer dressing as was in her instructions. More than meets the eye for those that keep looking. In the mean time my career is being trashed, as it seems I am the only foot surgeon who has had complications. Fraternally.