Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Clipper opinions

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by Turtle, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Turtle

Turtle Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi Folks,
    I am soon to be opening a small part time clinic within a medical centre in Australia. I wanted to ask about clippers. I have worked for a company for about 3.5 years, and the nail clippers are terrible. This of course makes a job much harder, increases hand strain and reduces the quality of care I can provide.

So, now I have the opportunity to purchase my own instruments, I wanted to ask the experienced people of podiatry arena which clippers offer good value? I am interested in reliability, ease of use and ease of sterilising. I figure all clippers feel pretty good when have a play with brand new ones, but I doubt they all maintain this down the track.

It will be a 1 day/week thing initially, and am looking to start off with about 10 sets.

Further more, what love do you show your clippers to keep them working well?

Cheers

2. Toerescuer

Toerescuer Welcome New Poster

Hi Turtle,
    I do love my Miltex nippers. And of course double spring (cantilever ). Hope that help
    Cheers

3. TP73

TP73 Welcome New Poster

Turtle, check out Footcare solutions- they have some great value options.

Good luck with the new clinic.

4. Pompy

Pompy Member

Unlike Toerescuer I can't stand Miltex clippers.
    I love the Westminster clippers (double action, barrel spring) from Briggate Medical.
    Worth paying the bit more for a decent set I believe.

5. brekin

brekin Active Member

I like both the Westminster and Chifa double action clippers from Briggate. Very similar but out of the two I prefer the Chifa as the handle doesn't open up quite as much as the Westminster which means it is has a better fit in the sterilising bags. Currently Briggate has a special on both when you order ten (I think it is $116 each for the Chifa from memory).

6. jos

jos Active Member

I agree with Brekin- use good quality clippers and they will last. I tried a cheap Pakistani pair years ago under recommendation from a supplier- they split within weeks and were CRAP.
    Btw, I have just traded in my original Westminsters (from uni, 15+ years ago) to Briggate earlier this year when they had a trade-in offer- not bad, eh?

Same goes for autoclaves-buy good quality such as Melag and you won't be paying a fortune in repairs. It all costs a bit initially, but is worth it

good luck with your venture!!

7. thekwie

thekwie Active Member

For the 10 years I've been a pod I've tried a few, but keep coming back to my single action westminsters (they used to be the "DS" but have just changed the name). I still have some of my original pairs, which have only ever had to have one sharpen/balance, unless they've been dropped. They don't stain or rust. I unhinge them to go in the bags (a matter of just a click). I have tiny hands (xs gloves still have space at the end of the fingers), so many of the big double action clippers are too big for me to comfortably hold, and anyway I have never found a toenail that I need double action to get through. ( I do LOTS of general treatments.) They aren't the cheapest on the market but they last if you take care of them. Hope this is useful.

8. jonnorthants

jonnorthants Member

I ve had various brands over the years . The conclusion i have come to is you get what you pay for! I usually pay about £40 for clippers and they last me for years with no trouble..

9. Turtle

Turtle Member

Thanks for all your thoughts. It has helped me decide to spend a bit extra on something that will last a long time. The Westminsters look like a nice bit of kit. I am still torn between double and single action, but suppose I will just need to bite the bullet there.