Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Wireless Hicaps

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by lcp, Feb 11, 2014.

1. lcp

lcp Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,
    We are currently about to get our copper phone service terminated for the new NBN system to start, problem is that the EFTPOS and HICAPS work off the old phone lines!! Does anyone know if there is a wireless option available, in particular for the HICAPS?
    Cheers
    Paul

2. trevor

trevor Active Member

Hi Paul,
    Wireless HICAPS is not available, something to do with the health insurance companies not a technical issue.

Your NBN provider should be able to make your existing terminal and fax machines etc work. If not try another provider.
    If you don't get any joy there you can always use a VOIP service for your HICAPS machine.

A VOIP box ($100) will provide a couple of analogue lines for POTS services. ( POTS stands for Plain Old Telephone Service, ie, DTMF phones, fax machines and credit card terminals etc) A VOIP box just plugs into your computer network modem and is about half the size of a standard wireless modem.

We use "Mynetphone" VOIP for all our outgoing calls at the moment. Telstra lines for incoming and VOIP for outgoing, The cost of all our outgoing calls per month is about $20 something dollars. This includes calls to mobiles.

I believe Mynetphone is also a NBN provider, so give them a call.
    A residential account should be the best way forward as the Business services can be more complicated (read expensive) I am assuming that you just have a couple of phone lines.
    VOIP stands for Voice over Internet Protocol.

Here is another option to consider.
    We are about to change from HICAPS to TYRO soon.
    The new TYRO terminal connects through the internet ( no phone line required) and is shortly to be a Smartsoft Frontdesk compatible HICAPS replacement. TYRO is supposed to have stable software that works with Windows 8.1, without crashing, unlike HICAPS. Also, it does not use 1970's technology as HICAPS does, so no RS232 interface required to connect to your computer.
    Lets know how you get on, we are at least two years from an NBN service.

3. Hi Paul,
    I attend the HICAPS seminar evening each year, and have asked when wireless will be available as I have a home visiting practice and it would save time.

Last year they said it is in progress and hope to have a mobile terminal available soon!! Good luck, I don't think it is a priority with HICAPS.

4. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

HICAPS are currently trialling wireless terminals in a few practices. They advise me that wireless terminals may be available in the next few months.

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Sigh - how to make someone feel their age. I remember when wireless was something you listened to on a Sunday afternoon:D.

6. lcp

lcp Active Member

Thanks for your help everyone, here's hoping HICAPS gets cracking on the wireless option. I have contacted our local MP too hoping to get some assistance from those who made these changes necessary, we'll see how that goes!
    Thanks again
    Paul

7. clhanna

clhanna Member

I just had this update from HICAPS

'In regards to the mobile HICAPS terminals they are currently in their trial stages and aren't on the market as of yet. Furthermore there are only very limited health funds on board. The major health funds like Medibank Private and Bupa aren't on board.'

So it seams that we are a while off yet!

8. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Hi, I am using a HICAPS WIRELESS terminal. Yes it only processes claims for a number of funds in wireless mode - but if the fund doesn't allow wireless then you simply place the machine back in the base station and it will enable functionality. A very good product and allows me to load in my two provider numbers for my two different surgeries - without the need to have two separate terminals. Thanks HICAPS :))