Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

DVA Online Claiming software

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by DanielleArthur, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me with software providers for online claiming? I do all of my accounting with Excel, and don't want to change to a practice management software for everything. I just want to be able to claim DVA online.

Thanks,

Danielle

2. trevor

trevor Active Member

Tyro is soon to release an allied health non integrated system for easyclaim and health fund claims along with credit and eftpos cards.
    It will run on you internet connection and processing will be very very fast. It is not a phone dial up so it will run on the NBN if and when it arrives in your area. They are Sydney based I think. Have a look at their web site. tyro.com I think. Should be worth the waiting a few weeks
    Trevor

3. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Thanks Trevor for your advice but I don't think DVA have an "online" way to claim do they?

4. Thanks Trevor. Not exactly what I'm after though. DVA keeps saying they're going to go on HICAPS but never do, and I really don't want to change my terminal.
    Danielle

5. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

They have an online claim system coming July 1st.

You need to apply in May for a DHS individual PKI certificate...they had a stand next to mine at Apodc(vic) conference and l took a picture!

See, its worth going to these conferences

Attached Files:

6. Paul Bowles

They have been saying this for years......I wont hold my breath come July 1st - and since it doesnt appear to be online via HICAPS it willmost likely be more of an inconvenience than a help. Lets face it the whole point of claiming online is so that it unifies reports at the end of the day - if I still have a separate reconciliation from DVA then whats the difference to the current format (besides payments)? There is none - I hope i'm wrong....and they do integrate to HICAPS.

No its worth being on Podiatry Arena! :D

7. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

I use ACSS, costs a percentage of claimed amount. Internet based.

8. trevor

trevor Active Member

Hi All,
    Try this link.
    http://tyro.com/merchant-portal/

I have been talking to a Tyro engineer and the winds of change are a blowing.
    We are hoping to have a Tyro - Smartsoft Frontdesk system running very soon.

9. trevor

trevor Active Member

Sorry Paul ,
    Missed your question.
    We have been using DVA online via Frontdesk for at least two years. No data re-keying.
    This function is mutually exclusive with another feature in frontdesk , which I cannot remember as we do not need the other function. Online means no waiting for a terminal dial up and handshakes at 300 baud to complete, so it happens in an instant.
    I print a DVA Bank reconciliation report from front desk at the end of each month and it shows me the daily DVA bank deposit for each practitioner. Saves me a lot of paperwork
    DVA process claims each day and the money is deposited into our account overnight which makes it even better. I can also easily see what has not been cleared by the bank at the end of the month

10. trevor

trevor Active Member

11. Paul Bowles

Thanks Trevor where does one begin with such witchcraft and wizardry! Is the info on the DVA website?

12. trevor

trevor Active Member

Paul,
    There is information on the DVA web site but it basically says to contact your practice management software provider.
    However before you jump in the very deep end.
    Microsoft has withdrawn support for their operating System XP so there will be a lot of folks needing to make some changes to their practice computer systems.
    We had one PC become brain dead here on thursday due to an XP OS related problem and I can now no longer get it to boot.
    If you are using XP you will be getting screen POP ups saying in effect to buy a new PC with a new Operating system.
    We have had terrible trouble with HICAPS their lack of support for the new windows 8 operating system. Hence, the reason that I have been talking to Tyro and Smartsoft about a total upgrade and getting rid of HICAPS completely. HICAPS is far to slow.

It is my intention, at the moment to try and publish a " guide" for podiatrists on how to go about this task and highlight some of the problems we have had in upgrading our Computer System.
    I replaced our receptionists PC with a touch screen "all in one PC" with windows 8 about 6 months ago I then upgraded to windows 8.1 and then discovered I needed to upgrade again to windows 8.1 Pro.

We Run Smartsoft' s Front desk and have almost shifted totally to efiles. So with all these changes to our systems, our support staff will hopefully have more time to do other things. Or at least this is plan "A"
    The end of July is about when I should be ready to publish.
    The intention is to include PCs, MFC Printers, Tyro terminal, Bar code Scanners, complete with software and drivers for DVA, Health funds and payment cards. A system operating via the internet with no dial up telephone lines. NBN ready.

13. Paul Bowles

Thanks Trevor - yes this has been our issue - we run Windows 8 in house and basically nothing likes it. Our network is due for a major upgrade this year and all attached computers will be as well so im biding my time really. Tyro looks like an attractive proposition! Thanks mate!

14. dyfoot

dyfoot Active Member

I spoke to the DVA rep at the NSW state conference on Saturday and they didn't seem to know much about it! I don't think that it will make it any easier for us than our current system of batching on PPMP and sending off the vouchers.

15. Paul Bowles

Does that surprise you?

16. dyfoot

dyfoot Active Member

Not at all!

17. Mediclinic Software

Mediclinic Software Active Member

Hi all. Our CLOUD software with NO DATA or scanning import restrictions is available with DVA and Medicare ONLINE claiming going to YOUR BANK ACCOUNT overnight.

We are competitive no re keying, remember how many referrals used automatically and automated reports just to mention a few things.

TRIAL for 60 days free and we are here to help

www.mediclinic.com.au/compare

18. APodC

APodC Active Member

We're working with DVA on the launch of the DVA Webclaim system. It is coming but we need to make sure it's properly tested first.

19. Mediclinic Software

I would like to add that we already do EVERYTHING that webclaim does EXCEPT we integrate with the practice managment portal - our software.

Please see this from DVA website
    DVA Webclaim benefits:

Receive an instant response to claims you submit
    Receive payment within a maximum of two business days (compared with twenty business days if you submit DVA claims by paper)
    Access up to two years of your electronic DVA statements
    Download your DVA claiming history for the previous two years
    Cancel paid claims submitted on the same day, and;
    Use the HPOS secure email facility to ask DHS questions about your claims

Is DVA Webclaim automatic?

DVA Webclaim is a stand-alone claiming channel that is not integrated with a provider's practice management software. DVA Webclaim requires the manual input of claiming data into a smart form online. See information on integrated online claiming options or visit the Medical Software Industry Association website.

This means a lot of keying in of information whereas our practice management system is already integrated alleviating the need to key ANY information.

Just complete the booking - add your extras and click!

20. trevor

trevor Active Member

Just a side issue.

One of the gems that our podiatrists came back from the APMA National in Hawaii with was not to put patient files in the cloud. The cloud is not secure enough for medical records.
    So if you are looking at new practice management software make sure that.
    1. you have total control over your data.
    2. if the practice software is encrypted that you can access it if your vendor goes out of business.
    ( people still get run over by trams)

21. Mediclinic Software

I would also like to agree with you. MOST Cloud suppliers have cloud solutions which are cost effective and the server is shared with god knows where on this small planet!

Compare our site (this is where clients and patients login https://portal.mediclinic.com.au/Account/LoginV2.aspx) Our encryption is there to see.. DigiCert High Assurance EV CA-1
    Feel free to load the linbk and test it yourself. Make sure you go to the ADVANCED section in the site certificate page. We are THE ONLY Cloud service in Australia with this level of security as we ARE SERIOUS about protecting YOU. We don't want data all over the internet and thus losing business.

We are Proud at MEDICLINIC to advise that our CLOUD solution is based WHOLLY WITHIN AUSTRALIA and we use the HIGHEST level of encryption Extended Validation SSL 2048 encryption (green bar) which is the BEST you can get today. The USA Government states that iot wil takes another 20 years before hackers can get that code broken. (http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/997631)
    We are also a multi national company and we have several KEY people not just one. We have SUPPORT offices based in 3 countries and we are growing and expanding releasing OUR GP module in a few weeks.

YOU have control of YOUR data at all times. We do not leave Australia with our software or data because Australia has a very secure reputation and strong Government policy on data protection and that is why we chose the AMAZON data centre in Sydney as one of our data backup centres and the OPTUS data bank in Sunshine in Melbourne.

And YES people still get run over by trams and cars and that is why we have several people in control.

All that will affect your data is a massive SUN electronic surge or nuclear explosion as that will wipe out the worlds data. that we cannot control. I hope this blurb helps you. AND there is a 6 months free trial because we KNOW it takes time to truly test a system and we are looking at the LONG TERM relationship, not a mere year.

22. joelfriedlaender

joelfriedlaender Active Member

I'm from Cliniko and find your claims disappointing. Spreading misleading information like this only hampers the ability for practitioners to understand the technology available and make the right choices.

SSL encryption and a good hosting provider are the bare minimum you should be doing to protect patient information, it's not the gold standard. Also the certificate you have is no more secure than other SSL certificates, it has differences in the process to achieve the certificate and the way browsers display it.

You're claims to be the only cloud service in Australia with that level of security are unfounded, you don't have access to the security that other providers implement.

In my research of other cloud software providers in Australia, I've been impressed overall by the level of security implemented. That's not to say some don't have flaws, but in general, it's quite good.

As for servers shared with god knows where, using Amazon yourself you'd know that your servers are shared with random other people/companies that you don't know. You'd also be aware that this doesn't matter, as the security by Amazon is fantastic.

I understand you want to promote your software, but do right by the practitioners on this forum too.

A bit of extra info:
    - Cloud computing is not secure or insecure, it depends on the individual software systems. Internet banking is cloud computing and has been secure for many years.
    - SSL encryption (https) is important. If software or a website you visit doesn't have it, it's not secure. E.g. never enter credit card info or patient information into a website that's not HTTPS.

Joel
    Cliniko

23. Mediclinic Software

Joel I am not trying to promote our software above all others as there is and are certain requirements for differing practitioner needs. many do not want medicare or DVA online claiming and your software would be a good alternative. Many vendors offer different solutions as even here practitioners have different needs and requests. I do not think any vendor could provide all solutions.

HOWEVER, the encryption we have in our certificates is the highest SSL security in web based practice management (for allied health) in use in Australia today. You too use DIGICERT and have encryption but there are different levels and the GREEN BAR we have is the HIGHEST level and this is listed on their own website and all other providers of SSL certificates.

It is also a requirement of some Australian Government departments that certain data is maintained within Australia and many cloud solutions have the data stored overseas. I am not stating you do. But many cloud systems are stored OVERSEAS by virtue of them being CLOUD and the need for their overseas clients and fast access.

The encryption is important as is the design of the database and where the data is stored and how it is stored. We use AMAZON because the centre in Sydney is acclaimed as one of the best in the world.

The original comment was that CLOUD computing in itself is sometimes not too safe and that is true as we all know. ANYTHING over the internet can be accessed by someone sometime BUT is the data you and I are hosting of particular interest to hackers? I do not think so. Medical records is not of particular interest as are CREDIT CARD DETAILS, but the way data is encrypted by us is important

24. joelfriedlaender

joelfriedlaender Active Member

It's not about promoting your software above others, of course you'll do that. No doubt you think yours is the best and you want to let people know. It's just about providing accurate information on the technical side.

With the certificate, again you mention it's the "HIGHEST level", but quite specifically, it's not more secure. The certificate you have requires a bit more verification that you are who you say you are (EV is extended validation), when buying the certificate. It also shows your name in the address bar in the browser. It's exactly the same security though as the other certificates. The same encryption, the same protection.

I just think it's important to be clear and not misleading on these things.

I'm not raising this to promote Cliniko, the original poster for this thread wants DVA online claiming, we don't have it. We'd be a terrible choice for them. I just wanted to clear up some of the information you wrote that I found misleading, and encourage you to be clearer on the technical facts.

25. Mediclinic Software

Security on the web is not clear. That is the biggest issue. You are correct in stating that our opinion may differ to yours. We are not trying to mislead and I feel that it would be best for any poster or potential user acquaint themselves with security to suit their own needs BEFORE looking at any system. Joel, you would know too that even software on a computer in an office is often less secure than using software that both our companies offer. People who have security concerns should think about where they currently store their patient files as it probably is not as secure as CLOUD SOLUTIONS in any event.

As I also stated with allied health, I doubt very much that hackers will attacking the data to retrieve the notes. And the DOB of many of the patients is not any good without Credit cards and as you state without HTTPS as our site is DO NOT ENTER CREDIT CARD DETAILS and we do not store credit card details.