Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Working in South Africa as a Podiatrist

Discussion in 'South Africa' started by nicpod1, Jan 3, 2006.

1. nicpod1

nicpod1 Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just as a matter of interest, I wonder if any South African Pods could give me an idea of the situation in South Africa with regards to working as a Podiatrist?

e.g. Do you mainly work for yourselves, what sorts of sepcialities are there and how do you see the future developing Pod-wise as RSA continues to change?

Any insights would be valuable as my partner's South African and I will probably begin to spend more time over there!

Thanks guys!

2. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Re S.A.

Dear NIC POD,

Podiatry in SA is almost totally Private.

The profession is proteceted and regulated by the South African Health professions Council.

In order tp practice you will have to register with the SA HPC.

I blieve that you need a Degree in Podiatry from one of the Recognised Schools. When i registered years ago i did not need a Degree as My DPODM was accepted as i was also SRCh.

Look up the South African Podiatry Association

Also Technicon Witwatersrand which is the only training establishment for podiatry in SA.

I was going to emigrate to SA in 1993, but i am still here as i got divorced instead.

So i am now off to Sydney Australia my Visa came through today. :)

YEEEEHHHAAAA.

It is off to Sydney we jolly well go.

The above info is not very current, but i hope that it is of some help.

Last contact i had was :

adellet@hpcsa.co.za

www.hpcsa.co.za

Antony Smidt.
    Chairperson
    Kwazulu Natal Branch
    kpmed@saol.com

I hope this is of use

regards David

3. nicpod1

nicpod1 Active Member

David,

Don't start putting ideas in my head about other places to emigrate to!

Enjoy Sydney and thanks for the info!

4. dmasikat

dmasikat Member

I am a student studying Podiatry in the UK. I look foward to working in South Africa when I qualify. But what can I expect to earn as a newly qualified pod?

5. Iain Johnston

Iain Johnston Active Member

Re: Re S.A.

So i am now off to Sydney Australia my Visa came through today. :)

Antony Smidt.
    Chairperson
    Kwazulu Natal Branch
    kpmed@saol.com

WHAT THE F, Anthony Smidt. I was trawling throught the threads when i came across this. How are u?, and......Divorced????, Moving to Sydney??? wow, whats been happening in good old KZN, SA.

cheers
    Iain Johnston

iain@footmech.co.uk

6. JaY

JaY Active Member

The new place to study podiatry in SA is at the University of Johannesburg, Doornfontein Campus. (The old RAU and Technikon Witswatersrand amelgamated to form UJ).

7. Fatima

Fatima Member

Hi NicPod1

I have just seen this thread.Were you successful in your endeavour and are you now in SA?

Regards

Fatima

8. Mankgabane

Mankgabane Member

:drinksMost podiatrist in S.A work for themself in private practice, althouth there is a few working for goverment/ state hospitals. New post in state hospitals mostly open for newly qualified pods who were using bursaries/ scholarships from the department of health.

9. brownpods

brownpods Welcome New Poster

Even with a UK podiatry diploma/degree and UK HPC registration, complete reciprocity doesn`t exist (unless thats changed in last couple of years or so)so you cannot register with the HPCSA without passing an entrance exam, which is undertaken on behalf of the HPCSA by school of podiatry, (University of Johannesburg), a 3 hour written paper and a viva. Its similar to (if not the same paper) the final year podiatry paper there as far as i can recall, my wife & I having done it, we are UK trained qualified and sat this a few years ago. As a previous correspondent mentioned, podiatry in RSA is mainly private, but I understand there are a small number of jobs now in the state health service there.
    Brownpods

10. rmlg55555

rmlg55555 Member

Hi - am new to this web-site and was browsing job-opportunities in SA as I am thinking of working there next year. Thanks for info.

11. mokgatle

mokgatle Member

Coming to work in South Africa might be difficult for you because you will have to start your own private practice, suffer non-refferal from our fellow HCP's. According to my knowledge, SA podiatrists wish to go overseas as they get it easy to find work there than in our country.

No public post unless the SA government paid for your studies.

12. Connie D

Connie D Member

Same ole, same ole as the UK then?

13. Venetia Mgiba

Venetia Mgiba Welcome New Poster

hi
    I am a student at the University of Johannesburg, well I would like to know what my starting salary is as a Podiatrist

14. bongani

bongani Welcome New Poster

hi all

am a final year Podiatry student and what i`ve noticed from all of our podiatry student is that they are not sure of whether they wiil make it as podiatrist out there, so what i am suggesting is if the guys that have qualified and working especially in goverment hospitals or clinics and come to the University of Johannesburg Podiatry Department and talk to students about how Podiatry is out there interms of practising, salary, growth of the profession etc. cause i believe by doing so, the actual confidence and courage of becoming a Podiatrist can increase in Pods student.

Regards
    Bongani

15. JaY

JaY Active Member

If you truly have the passion for your work, you will get somewhere! It's not easy in the beginning and sometimes you question yourself. Don't give up - just try your best :)

16. Landiwem

Landiwem Member

update:
    podiatry in the public sector: more podiatrists are entering the sector annually. Bursary holders getting absorbed into the public sector after completing their studies. Once employed it is up to individuals how far they get in terms of promoting the profession & educating other disciplines about podiatry, through the work you do. recognition will depend on what you do outside your consulting room as well.
    government may not pay you what you think you are wirth but it will give you vast clinical experience and opportunities (just have to look for them). where there is no development there is opportunity to start something. No one will do it for us but podiatrists themselves

17. Landiwem

Landiwem Member

A podiatry supervisory Chief post is available at Ekurhuleni district Gauteng, closing 02 May 2014:
    POST 15/37 : CHIEF PODIATRIST GRADE 1 REF NO: 03602
    Directorate: Primary Health Care

SALARY : R312 084 per annum (plus benefits)

CENTRE : Ekurhuleni Health District

REQUIREMENTS : Tertiary qualification in relevant professions. Currently registered with the
    HPCSA. A minimum of 3 years appropriate experience in the relevant profession
    after registration with the HPCSA as an independent practitioner. Computer
    Literacy, Valid driver’s licence is essential, Experience in working in a PHC Unit.,
    Community Based Rehabilitation (CBR), Eye Care and Disability. Good
    communication skills and Interpersonal relationship skills, problem solving skills,
    planning and organizing skills. Facilitation, coordination, clinical records audit
    skills and report writing skills. Be proactive, innovative, supportive and good team
    player. Knowledge in all relevant polices, protocols and guidelines. Independent
    team leader who is able to make relevant decisions and actions. Maintain the
    environment that promotes the right of the patients and ensuring the principle of
    Batho Pele are adhered to.

DUTIES : Provide overall management, supervision and control of allocated staff in a PHC
    setting to ensure smooth service delivery. Provide Community Based
    Rehabilitation (CBR)/Eye Care Services with the focus on health promotion,
    prevention and community intervention. Complete monthly report and stats and
    other administrative task required for running of the service. . Implement cost
    management and quality assurance measures. Perform staff appraisals report.
    (PMDS). Attend PHC management meeting, rehabilitation sub-district meeting
    and Quality assurance meeting. Ensure adherence of government policies
    including Batho Pele, National Core Standard, and Patient’s Rights Charter.

ENQUIRIES : Ms. T Mukheli, Tel No: (011) 876 1776/1766/1767

APPLICATIONS : Applications can be forwarded to the HR Manager: Ekurhuleni Health District,
    Physical address: 40 Catlin Street, Germiston, or apply online at:
    www.gautengonline.gov.za

CLOSING DATE : 02 May 2014

18. Danyel

Danyel Member

I do not recommend it at all!