Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

PhD studentships

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Craig_g100, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Craig_g100

Craig_g100 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I have recently finished a podiatry degree (first class honours) and would like to carry on my studies through a PhD studentship. I have also completed a BSc in Sport and Exercise Science from the University of Birmingham. I have developed a good understanding and a keen interest in biomechanics/MSK/gait/overuse injuries/sports Ideally I would like a studentship that involves any of these elements. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Craig

2. Craig I would have thought the Uni where you got your degree from would be the best place to start asking these types of questions

Good luck

3. Craig_g100

Craig_g100 Member

Yes Mike, it would have been ideal if UWIC did have a PhD programme but at the present time they do not have one in place. I am therefore open to offers from any other establishment.

4. Griff

Griff Moderator

5. Which you probably will not get from Podiatry Arena - so your Uni program should have information on other Uni which offer a PHD and then it will be up to you to contact each of these other Uni - or even use the Internet and see which Uni offer a PHD program and contact them.

Have you done this ?

6. Why??

7. pia

pia Welcome New Poster

Hi. I was wondering is it possible to do a phd at glasgow caledonian or leeds whilst living in Machester. I have heard they offer really good phd student ships however I have husband and family here and was wondering is it possible to do it on a distance learning basis. I can commute as much as possible but was wondering if the actual research could be done else where in collaboration with a hospital/department near to me. Anyone with experience of doing a phd have any advice?

8. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

Craig, Pia,

It may be worth clearing up some issues re: PhD here. The term "PhD programme" is a little vague and meaningless. What you should be asking is: which departments have staff who are active researchers and are publishing in high level refereed journals. Essentially, by definition this means that they are able to supervise you within their area of expertise. Thus it is the person you should be chasing rather than the institution. Think outside the square and look outside the pod world as well as within.

The second comment may seem negative, but it is not, more a reflection of the times we live in. In my day - about 25 years ago, after coffee, etc., I was sat down in the Library and told to start reading. one asks questions, one find answers. One asks more detailed question and so on - until you ask a question to which there is not an answer. This was day one of your thesis. This is not common these days, and much more common is to read something like "funding available for a PhD student in the area of [..............................]". Most of us would agree this has not been a move that favours the students, though it may favour the funding authorities. The reason is that you really have to be passionate about your subject when you start - because you will hate it by the time you finish!! Thus, you are not entirely likely to be passionate about a project that has been thrust upon you. This is the grumpy old man in me talking, but it has more than an element of truth in it. I have only had two successful completions (but none dropped by the wayside) - both chose their own area and I just led them along. One was, and still is a very successfully private practitioner, the other transitioned from being a head of a Pod school to being a palaeo-anthropologist in South Africa, and now has a very long publication record, including several in Science. Both were mature students, one older than me.

Hope this helps, Rob