Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Referral fee request from FHP

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Pod on sea, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Pod on sea

Pod on sea Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I was approached by a newly qualified SMAE foot health practitioner who asked me the following:
    'Should I come across patients who may benefit from a biomechanical assessment I will require someone to refer them to. Would there be any scope for me to refer prospective patients to you should I come across them and, if so, would there be a possibility we could come to an agreement of a referral fee/commission?'.
    I said yes to referrals but no to referral fee/commission. I receive referrals from many other health professionals who have never asked for a fee, and who refer on the basis of patient needing my expertise rather than the practitioner getting a financial reward in return.I would not be comfortable with such an arrangement. I question if such an agreement would be ethical in any case. I'd be grateful for other private practitioners thoughts on this.
    Many thanks
    Helen

2. Simon Ross

Simon Ross Active Member

I refer to a more experienced woman a lot of the time, the patient gets an excellent service, and I do not ask for a referral fee. I think that this FHP needs to live in the real world!

3. horseman

horseman Active Member

Hi,
    On the basis that I refer when it is in the patients best interest and I have never expected a fee from the practitioner I would not expect to pay a third party to refer to me. Ultimately any fee charged is paid by the patient. I do charge for some letters as they take time to compose and cost to print, I inform the patient of this when they ask for such a letter. As for commision, your fees reflect your professional responsibility and skills not the referees why would you pay them? Bottom line: if they wish to charge the patient a fee for referral then it is down to them to recover such fees direct from the patient not you.:D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Kickbacks are illegal in most countries.

5. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickback_(bribery)

6. skigirl

skigirl Member

I don't think it's illegal but certainly unethical. Bit of a cheek!

7. Alan Whitby

Alan Whitby Member

When I started in practice in the 1970s as a Smae trained chiropodist, there were certain conditions requiring LA that I needed to refer on. It wasn't very often, but it did happen. But I would never consider asking for a referral fee - I think I would have got a flea in my ear if I'd tried. My referral was, in a sense, part of my caring for the patient. They usually came back to me anyway for more basic treatment, so I never lost out and had a good relationship with a couple of SRCh's who had LA qualifications - which was not universal at that time. So I would agree with the OP.

8. APodC

APodC Active Member

There was a doctors co-operative a few years ago in NSW who had a fairly widespread program of demanding volume based payments, purportedly under the threat of withdrawal of all business albeit evidence of this was hard to come by. I believe the scheme went bankrupt once people understood what was happening which suggests most health practitioners find the practice distasteful. The Medical Board at the time issued warnings against the practice.

There was also this case http://netk.net.au/MedicalBoard/Board2.asp in which a physio was disciplined by the registration board for seeking commissions. My advice is don't touch it.