Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Age UK chiropody

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jonnorthants, Jul 1, 2014.

1. jonnorthants

jonnorthants Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I picked up a couple of leaflets today from Age UK advertising chiropody locally at £15. The first leaflet was a local one for the area and the second a national Age UK publication. Both publications made it clear it was chiropody that was on offer. I ve no issue with Age UK advertising a nail cutting service but its my understanding that they use volunteers trained in basic nail cutting and not chiropodists. Does anyone else on here know anything about this? If they are advertising chiropody and not employing chiropodists then this would seem to be misleading the public. I d be interested to know if anyone has raised this with Age UK or the HCPC. Thanks

2. Gpaint

Gpaint Welcome New Poster

I understand in my local area they use nursing staff who are trained by NHS staff I think challenging Age UK would be quite difficult.

I am a new graduate and desperate for work, there are no NHS jobs in my area and it would appear that there is lots of competition in private practice including Age UK. The difference is Age UK can't use blades, using the word chiropody is probably debatable and as long as they do not say they are chiropodists I am assuming that is legal.

3. jonnorthants

jonnorthants Member

Thanks for your reply Gpaint and good luck with getting work. I ve been self employed for years and yes it can be difficult getting started but well worth it! In some areas there is a shortage of NHS chiropodists so that might be an option for you.

4. h-pod

h-pod Member

Hiya,
    I used to work in an area where the low risk patients were given a leaflet for Age UK 'nail cutting' service. I think it was a one off £5 registration fee and £13 per treatment done by an Age UK volunteer.
    As far as I'm aware they use single use instruments and they used one of our rooms at an nhs clinic on a day we weren't there.
    I found it a good service for those who wanted to come more often but couldn't afford £30 a go.
    But everyone was made aware that it wasn't podiatry/chiropody and that it was a volunteer with some degree of basic training.

5. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

It isn't debatable. Ring the HCPC and ask them - inform them of whats happening in your area - get your local Branch involved. Get your professional body involved - do something about it;) .

6. Simon Ross

Simon Ross Active Member

and what have SCP and the SMAE done about it then David?

7. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Nothing, and they'll continue to do nothing unless membership apply pressure.

Look (as the politicians say) - I'm not at all bothered. I didn't start the thread. I'm not worrying or complaining.
    Just advising.

8. FootmanJ

FootmanJ Member

I recently enquired about a post advertised by AgeUK on this site.
    It was for a Podiatrist, but the pay rate was too low for me to consider.
    The services mentioned in this thread may therefore be being carried out by a HCPC-registered Podiatrist. In which case there is nothing that can be done against the devaluing of the services we provide.

9. goofyfoot360

goofyfoot360 Member

I work closely with Age Uk on their nail cutting service in my area and have done for 10 years. I decided to become involved with them rather than against them, it is a useful service for those people that need a simple nail cutting service and can't afford regular Chiropody. I make it very clear what they can do and can't do, when to refer and to whom they should refer. They have to keep up to date records, record each treatment clearly and concisely and so far it is working well...I would much prefer this service to the unregulated "foot health practitioners" . I run update and training sessions twice a year, am available to the volunteers for advice, and of course get referrals to my clinic for the people that they see who are unsuitable for their footcare service.

Working with them is preferable to working against them, most of their volunteers are ex nurses or ex healthcare..even one retired GP,

As a Podiatry student or a newly qualified pod...it may be a good strategy to involve yourself in your local age uk scheme...lots of opportunities going begging...

10. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Goofyfoot,

It`s great that you can find something positive from the nail cutting provision (which undoubtedly does provide a very valuable service) and please realise that I`m not criticising you personally...but, they are still `unregulated`and many have less `training` and experience than some FHPs, FCA`s, etc whom are also ex-nurses and other retired healthcare workers.

I have friends and colleagues who are also involved with Age UK and they have a similar view to yourself, which I fully appreciate. However, my personal irk is the NHS policy to discharge patients into the community and promote Age UK instead of recommending their colleagues in private practice.

What is your policy with regard to pts who become `high risk` or merely require more than a simple nail cut? Do you refer any that you can`t see in your own clinic to your colleagues in private practice or to the NHS via their GP?

Cheers,
    Bel

11. goofyfoot360

goofyfoot360 Member

Hi Bel
    I really don't like the fact that Age UK are part of the NHS referral pathway either...it really does gall me, and I did voice my opinion when I got the chance, but it fell on deaf ears. I'm involved because I believe I can help steer the service in the right direction. We need a voice at every level, and we need to keep lines of communication open if we can.

I deal with everything I can in my clinic, especially if they are referred as "high risk" from Age UK, it allows a little bit of gentle education as to what our position is in the 'feet business" , a number of patients I receive from age Uk are not aware of the difference between us (pods) and them(nail cutters) so it is a chance to explain what we are about, and the level of our qualification.

I do refer on if it is out of my comfort zone, I refer to colleagues in private practice where I can, or via NHS podiatry when necessary.