Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

US podiatry student interested in practicing in UK

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Miri85, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Miri85

Miri85 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I am a 3rd year podiatry student in the US who is interested in practicing in the UK after I graduate. For the time being, I will not be doing a residency in the US. I was wondering if anyone knew what qualifications I need to have before practicing? Would I need to take any additional exams in UK? I sent an email to the HCPC but all i received was an international application.

Thank you

2. Lovefeet

Lovefeet Banned

In the UK, if you want to practice as a Podiatrist/ Chiropodist you have to be HCPC Registered. This means you would have had to complete a full 3 year Podiatry degree or have done the "grandparenting" thing but that would not apply to you (it relates to qualifications that would not affect you)

If you want to cut toenails, debride callous, enucleate corns, undertake Diabetic assessments, etc and make orthotics and work in private practice (basically do anything Podiatry-related except nail surgery and Pod POM) Then you do not have to worry about been HCPC registered. All you have to do is obtain public liability insurance. This is also no major feat.....If you do a search on Podiatry Arena, you will come across a fairly recent post regarding public liability insurance. Folk provided a list of some insurance companies out there who will insure pods, etc.

Because you are not a fully qualified podiatrist, and therefore not entitled to be HCPC registered, you must refer to yourself/ advertise yourself as a Foot Health Practitioner.....

When you apply for public liability insurance, state it is for Foot Health Practioner (not Chiropodist/ Podiatrist).

If you are wanting to work alongside a Podiatrist/ Chiropodist, in private practice, then you will have to undertake a Podiatry Assistant course through The Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrist. It is rather a lengthy long winded course....but once you have it...that's it....you can work as a Podiatry Assistant anywhere in the UK. You could work in the NHS with that qualification. There maybe a Podiatrist or two who may want to work alongside you, as your capacity of Foot Health Practitioner.

I have to warn you though....if you work as a Foot Health Practitioner.....you may likely come across Podiatrists who won't spend much time with you. Its just that you will be doing their kind of work...and will see you as a threat to their business.....

If I have to be truthful with you, if I was in your shoes, I would contact Podiatrists in the area where you going to be living and see if by any chance they would care to train you as their podiatry assistant....this would mean you won't have to spend thousands of pounds on set up costs.....If you do meet up with negativity....then just keep your head low and go it alone......But it will take time to build up a business....and have to be honest with you it may not work out.

If you do go it alone, make sure your autoclave complies with regulations and has a printer. Alternatively use single use instruments.....

If you do have difficulty in obtaining public liability insurance, let me know and i will try and find the name of the organisation that would help you...but it would mean you would have to become of member of theirs...

Have just thought of another thing....your qualification may equate to 2 years of a podiatry degree, this would mean, that if you wanted to be a Podiatrist in the UK (you could work for the NHS). Then you may want to register with a university that offers a Podiatry degree, and just do 1 year at the university, to make you a qualified Podiatrist. Don't quote me that the uni will put you into 3rd year (final year)...but your studies so far are quite advanced, so I am sure they will put you into 3rd year. You will likely have to pay overseas fees though, which are not cheap. Heads of Pod schools could be seeing pound signs in their eyes when you contact them...so haggle for a price....argument been that there is no need for you to undertake that year to do Foot Health work in the first place, but you doing them a favour....by keeping them in business.

Last piece of advice......don't forget to pack your county dictionary.......each county has slang words for certain things.....its very endearing....especially the North....Ok duck!!!!

Good luck!!!

3. You will first need to complete at least another years study before you graduate from pod school then start your residency/preceptorship before you can be Board Certified. Of course if you are studying podiatry in the US you would know that already. And if you have made any enquiries regarding practice recipocracy you will realise the initial reply to your post is complete nonsense.

Lovefeet - some of us do care about our profession. Please go away and get a life and give us all a break.

4. Lovefeet

Lovefeet Banned

Dear Mark,

For a start, your name does not appear on the HCPC website...so not sure if you are a Podiatrist or a FHP.....but that does not matter.

Yes, Mark, I thought she may require 1 year at a UK uni, for clinical module, to make sure she had the clinical skillls that The Society and HCPC so insist on...More than that she is more than "trained" as a UK Pod. Maybe you should check out how the Podiatrists train in the USA. They properly trained medical doctors...

I am extremely familiar of the UK Pod system, but not familiar with the US Pod system, only know what was told to me in lectures.

Perhaps our US expert Mr Kirby could educate us both....

In the meantime lets welcome her to the UK, and tell her that she can start to work immediately as a FHP if she gets herself public liability insurance....Is that correct Mr Russell, or must she gain HCPC registation to be a FHP?

I believe there are members of this forum (Podiatrists) who do work alongside FHPs.....

5. Isn't that strange? Neither does yours. Maybe you belong to another organisation altogether.

Attached Files:

6. Lovefeet

Lovefeet Banned

Mark.....i am looking through all my podiatry now journals and can't seem to find anything that says that Foot Health Practitioners have to be HCPC registered in order to undertake toenail cuts, callous debridement, corn enucleations, make orthotics, and undertake diabetic assessments, etc......

I am really struggling here, even with my podiatry degree, to find the information....I know i am a useless podiatrist, cos i can't even find that information....Come on help me here...so I can at least provide Mirri with the correct information.....

7. blinda

blinda MVP

Lovefeet,

This is my last post to you, so please don`t waste yours and everyones time by replying.

The `information` and `advice` that you have offered with regards to training, private practice and podiatry in general thus far, is incorrect and misleading. All of your posts are inflammatory, provocative and rude.

Please, don`t draw your swan song out any longer.

Goodbye.

If you were a swan, you`d be gone - If

8. Ditto the above

9. Lovefeet

Lovefeet Banned

Gosh, I am the only one providing Mirri with information here.

How can an american podiatry student, have to study 4 years at med school before attempting to join the realms of podiatry here in the UK, when our degree course is only 3 years. AND you do not have to then do an additional clinical experience after a 3 year Podiatry degree. That is utter nonsense!!!

You only have to do a certain number of clinical hours to meet the standard for the Podiatry degree. There is no way a Podiatry school is going to turn around and say to a 4 year med podiatry med school student, that they have to join 2nd year at a UK university.

And I am still trying to find the information that says to be able to work as a FHP you have to be HCPC registered......

Well BLinda......you have not been very helpful to Mirri.....the poor girl, is no better off with knowing what is right/ wrong in training....

Unless of course Podiatrists must not promote FHPs because it is not good for the Podiatry profession......Because FHPs are not statutory unregulated!!!!!

I would not say I was rude...just known to call a spade a -------shovel.....developed this skill when i trained at southampton university....

10. Miri:

The practice of podiatry is very different in the UK compared to the US. Very well-trained UK podiatrists wanting to practice in the US need to do four years of podiatry school and podiatric residency training before they can practice as a podiatric physician in the US. There seems at this time, to my knowledge, no recognition of academic equivalency in podiatric medical education between the two countries.

With that in mind, I would imagine that you might also have a difficult time, after getting your DPM degree in the US, to practice as a podiatrist in the UK. I would suggest that, before you assume that you will be able to move easily from your DPM degree to practicing as a podaitrist in the UK, that you do your homework by actually calling and speaking to someone of authority in the UK (you can make very cheap calls with Skype) to better determine what exactly you will need to do to practice podiatry in the UK.

Good luck.

11. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

Dear Miri it does not matter if we the Brits accept your superior qualification you will not get a work permit because you are a yank no offence. We can't work in the USA even as a waiter cos you would have to sleep with Obama to get green card. Same goes for you here . Sorry about the bad news you need to be an eu citizen.u

12. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

So love feet this means he cannot even practice as an fhp as he would be an illegal alien he cannot come on a tourist visa and work hope you can grasp this simple principle.perhaps if he Marries you this problem is easily solved..
    Dear Kevin even if the USA accepted our qualifications or if we trained at our own expense at one of your great training establishments we would still not get a work permit we basically need to marry a us citizen my wife says I cannot do this shame on her.

13. Fishpod:

Maybe you can also get your wife to teach you what a run-on sentence is. You made it through podiatry school writing like that?! Incredible!:bang:

14. perrypod

perrypod Active Member

All podiatrists are doctors by dictionary definition.The word podiatrist means physician of the foot and physicians are doctors. It is as simple as that. So it is the duty of all podiatrists to think first, lead second and then follow their own good judgement to do duty to those they serve. Why do we seek to be other than what we are?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  15. Lovefeet

Lovefeet Banned

Perry.....we don't usually refer to doctors as physicians in the UK...me thinks you maybe looking at American Dictionary......What dictionary you use,e.g. Oxford Dictionary

16. jb3

jb3 Member

Lovefeet- before you make a comment about Perrypod's post, perhaps you should check from where 'iatros' stems ? Being Greek for physician/doctor, in it's use in 'podiatrist' it does indeed mean doctor or physician of the foot. I know you probably won't believe me as I'm just a chiropodist who doesn't know her place , but maybe hanging round lots of doctors has gone to my head!! Odd really, I'm surrounded by genuine doctors at work, but hardly any physicians.....
    JBB

17. Hatefeet

Hatefeet Welcome New Poster

There is no way on earth you graduated from southampton the same time i was there.... I would have heard all about you....you mental bint..... Or have slit my own wrists listening to your inane rubbish.... You are STILL MENTAL.......................:santa: