Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Dry needling VP's

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by BestyPod, Mar 27, 2013.

1. BestyPod

BestyPod Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I will be doing some dry needling at uni for the first time in a few weeks and was hoping to read a few papers on it first. I must be looking in the wrong places as I can't seem to find anything. Can anyone recommend any to me?

Many thanks

2. Griff

Griff Moderator

3. blinda

blinda MVP

4. BestyPod

BestyPod Active Member

Just the job, thank you :)

5. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi Betsy

Not sure if you are referring to acupuncture "dry needling" for VP or if you mean multiple puncture needling for VP. In the case of the former there may well be very little and, in addition, any search might be skewed because dry needling is very much linked with acupuncture (for many conditions). May be more helpful to you to change the search term and leave out dry needling.

6. Shane Toohey

Shane Toohey Active Member

Yes Besty,

Ian is clarifying your query. The 'dry needling' you are probably going to do at uni will be using acupuncture needles to try and release 'trigger points' to improve function and reduce pain. The 'needling' of VP's is done with hypodermic needles to create an eschar which may take the VP with it as it dries up and eventually comes away. I personally dont use acupuncture needles to treat VP's as I think there are quicker ways of dealing with the problem, generally.

Cheers
    Shane

7. Seamus McNally

Seamus McNally Active Member

Good man Shane. Thought you would be too busy packing for trip to Ireland/ England, and having done podiatric acupuncture with you last year the post title caught my attention. Yes, I dont think it is the first time there has been confusion between Western Medical Acupuncture ( aka dry needling) and 'dry needling' of veruccas.

8. blinda

blinda MVP

.....which is why we should not refer to the verrucae needling method, first described by Falknor in 1969, as "dry needling", IMO.

9. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

....agreed Bel.

10. poppet

poppet Active Member

just to add my conclusion to this problem; i simply call it verruca immune stimmulation therapy...VIS Therapy for short. i then explain the older and slightly confusing term of 'dry needling'. pts seem to appreciate it!

hope that helps someone?!
    karen aka poppet

11. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

I guess I'm confused.
    DRY NEEDLING. How is it done and what is the goal.

Steve

12. lmcgeo11

lmcgeo11 Welcome New Poster

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to this and I am in need of help to find papers for verruca.
    Does anyone have access to 'Needling- a treatment option for recalcitrant verrucae pedis.'

It is by B. Skilton and Z. Mehar and was published in the May 2011 issue of Pod Now- I just can't get access to it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Laura

13. poppet

poppet Active Member

Hi Steve,

its probably easier to refer you back to my thread entitled mosaic verrucae...help with treatment.

karen

14. Shane Toohey

Shane Toohey Active Member

Hi Steve,

I think the term 'Dry Needling' was first used to describe the use of needles to release myofascial trigger points without injecting anything. This was an adaptation of the techniques described by Travel and Simons, your compatriots, whose books "Myofascail Pain and Dysfunction, the Trigger Point Manual, Vols 1 & 2" became bibles for this approach to treat musculoskeletal pain. Their technique involved ther injection of miniscule, .5ml, of local anaesthetic. Subsequent practice indicated that it didnt seem to matter what was injected and and then that just the penetration of the taut muscle band with the needle and no injection worked as well.
    It was not then a great leap for practitioners to start using acupuncture needles instead of syringes and achieve similar results.
    The term 'Dry Needling was then used to also indicate that the needling was not being done as Traditional (Chinese) Acupuncture. It has been used then as part of a movement/approach called Western Medical Acupuncture which incorporates other needling techniques being used with a science approach and not being based on Traditional.
    Interesting nevertheless that their is in the traditional literature going back into antiquity a 'muscle and sinew' treatment that is remarkably similar to the system above. However it has not been used much in the way acupuncture has been taught in the west.
    Overall the techniques are simple to use and often produce remarkable reductions in pain. It falls easily into the competency of podiatrists.
    I hope this helps with some perspective because the term 'dry needling' really has a common usage that is not precise.
    You see how easily the term is confused with the needling technique adapted for VP's where nothing is injected.

Meanwhile Seamus, I am in the Emirites Lounge in Dubai with next stop Dublin, all the best, mate

Cheers
    Shane

15. drsarbes

drsarbes Well-Known Member

Hi Shane
    Thank you for the explanation.

Steve

16. Len

Len Member