Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry assistants ?

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by JuliaB, Feb 4, 2013.

1. JuliaB

JuliaB Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello,

I am just completing my last two papers of a Bachelor of health science standard pathway at AUT and I have become interested in studying podiatry. I was wondering if there were any potential job opportunities as podiatry assistants to get a foot in the door that way?

2. there are lots available but it doesn't pay well.

3. lmilburn

lmilburn Member

Also this wouldn't necassarily lead onto a job in podiatry - you would still need to do the 3 year degree

4. JuliaB

JuliaB Member

Thank-you for replying to my post. Yes I am aware that I need to do the podiatry Degree in order to practice as a podiatrist. I am at the moment trying see if there are any podiatry assistant opportunities
    available in N.Z. This way I could gain some experience in the field before and potentially alongside my studies.

5. lmilburn

lmilburn Member

Good luck and have fun in N.Z.

6. Greg Fyfe

Greg Fyfe Active Member

Sounds like your looking to get a feel for what Podiatry is like after the completeing the course.

I'd suggest you ring around your local podiatrists and see if you can sit in. Possibly you've done this already.

I don't know that there are many "podiatry assistants" in NZ. Considering Podiatrists are a relatively small group I imagine ringing around may be the best way to find whats available.

Another option may be to contact Podiatrists that work in the public sector eg DHB or PHO.

Regards

Greg

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  7. GarethNZ

GarethNZ Active Member

As far as I am aware Podaiatry assistant's haven't been given the all clear in NZ yet. There was a vote and was voted against to my knowledge.

I'm with Greg, try talking to a few Pod's in Auckland - if you want some names of people to talk to/sit in with in Auckland send me a message - gareth@southernsportspodiatry.co.nz That way you can get a good feel for different aspects of the profession.

Gareth

8. omg 123

omg 123 Member

hi Gareth
    What are the job opportunities in NZ for UK trained Pods?