Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

PM&S 24 vs PM&S 36 Training (USA)

Discussion in 'USA' started by conerned future DPM, Dec 3, 2005.

1. conerned future DPM

conerned future DPM Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello I am a concerned 4th year podiatry student and wanted to receive the honest opinions of podiatrists who are in currently in practice. Now is the time for me to interview with several residency programs and I am trying to decide if I should complete a PM&S 24 or PM&S 36 program. For those of you who are unfamiliar with these terms a PM&S programs offers one year of primary podiatric medicine and one year of forefoot surgical training; while a PM&S 36 program offers one year of primary podiatric medicine and two years of both forefoot and rearfoot surgery. My dilemna is that my career goals are to become board certified in forefoot surgery by the ABPS and to be well trained in wound care. I plan to either join a podiatry group, buy in to a practice, or join a multispecialty group in the state of Florida where the scope of practice is up to to the tibial tuberosity. I am in my late 20s and would like to start a family in approximately 3 years (after my residency training). All of these goals could possibly be achieved with a PM&S 24. I have been approached by a PM&S 24 program that is very interested in me and admittedly only focuses on forefoot surgery. All of the DPMS are board certified in forefoot surgery. It is located in the city I would like to practice, but I wonder if I would miss the rearfoot training down the road. I have heard that there are some rearfoot surgery fellowships, but they are few and far in between. If there is anyone out there that could offer me some good sound advice...I am all ears! Thank you

2. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Its a no brainer

Do it all. If you settle for less there will come a time when you will kick yourself.! ;)

3. This is a fairly easy question to answer. If you want to do rearfoot and ankle surgery as a podiatrist, then make sure that you get a residency program that will train you in these procedures because it is very difficult to get this type of training while in private practice. However, many podiatrists are very happy and very content in just doing forefoot surgery and less complicated rearfoot cases, like I do.

For the past 17 years, I have helped train all the 3rd year residents at Kaiser Sacramento in biomechanics and sports medicine in my private practice. Whereever these gifted residents practice, they will be the top foot and ankle surgeons in their area. However, this does not necessarily mean that they will be happy and content. This sense of well-being, that most of us spend a lifetime trying to acquire and optimize, arises from many other diverse sources, other than whether we are able to perform ankle fracture or triple arthrodesis procedures in our practices.

Good luck in you future training.

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

5. podiatrist100

podiatrist100 Member

Someone can be in practice many years, board certified by ABPM treat 1000's of patients and have great patient reviews and still be denied a program to participate as a podiatry resident. If you get any program you can become licensed. After many years in practice and after being board certified by ABPM if one works hard it is possible that one may even be able to net $50,000 for a year and who knows they may even net more.
    Podiatry.com is a wonderful website.
    What about Podpost.us that might have some suggestions.
    Bottom line is if you are able to get a residency that is fantastic. Also if there is another job outside of a podiatry so a spouse can help this might be wonderful. There are some podiatrists that might even be able to maybe even net more than $100,000.
    Bottom line is medicare lists all the gross payments made to podiatrists physicians in the NY times it is public knowlege. Then you gotta factor in income from other sources and all the expenses.
    Good luck.
    A resident makes great money and the longer the program perhaps the longer you have a wonderful salary without expenses. These are my own personal opinions.

6. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

Podiatrist100, what does your post have to do with a student asking if he should invest two or three years in a residency program? The vast majority of Podiatrists that I know make well over 100K after expenses even in this climate of managed care. Perhaps your not cut out to be in private practice but please do not bring your negativity to Podiatry-Arena...keep it on Podiatry.com.

Steven

7. podiatrist100

podiatrist100 Member

Podiatrist100, what does your post have to do with a student asking if he should invest two or three years in a residency program? The vast majority of Podiatrists that I know make well over 100K after expenses even in this climate of managed care.
    Some students want to know if they should have a 2 or 3 year program and finances can play a good part in the decision. I thought a 3 year program was better because there is an extra year of a high amount of income that might be more than $50,000. I thought netting $50,000 per year would be a good accomplishment. Please forgive me if you disagree.
    Bottom line is you may know of many podiatrists that make well over 100k however the NY times that listed the medicare gross amount of money some podiatrists have made in a certain year from medicare as less than $50,000 and all that is needed is to look up this public information.
    Please forgive me if you feel I was being negative.
    As far as private practice I love it and feel podiatry is a wonderful field because one gets the opportunity to help others.

8. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

LabGuy / Podiatrist 100

You do realize, you are debating / advising over a question asked 9 years ago?

9. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

Some students want to know if they should have a 2 or 3 year program and finances can play a good part in the decision. I thought a 3 year program was better because there is an extra year of a high amount of income that might be more than $50,000. I thought netting $50,000 per year would be a good accomplishment. Please forgive me if you disagree.

Its not 2005 now but 2014 (Yes, Dieter, I knew this thread is 9 years old) and a 3 year program is a requirement now in the majority of states. Even if it was not, deciding on a three years vs two should not have anything at all with being paid 50K for the third year. Its not about the money, rather the enhanced credibility a 3 year program will give you in the eyes of the medical community not to mention increasing your experience in and out of the operating room. It is not knowledge that is power but wisdom which is the appropriate application of knowledge which comes from experience and that is priceless.

Bottom line is you may know of many podiatrists that make well over 100k however the NY times that listed the medicare gross amount of money some podiatrists have made in a certain year from medicare as less than $50,000 and all that is needed is to look up this public information.

I did not know that NY Podiatrists only saw patients with Medicare insurance. I wonder where the patients who are younger than 65 with private insurance go for care of their feet? Come to South Florida where Medicare is treated like gold as most patients signed up for Medicare Advantage Plans and are paid 40% of what Medicare allows.

Please forgive me if you feel I was being negative.

Students and residents read these forums and it does not benefit them to read
    those that feel they were wronged or struggling financially. Forums are about educating, motivating and inspiring others. This is not a place to seek therapy.

As far as private practice I love it and feel podiatry is a wonderful field because one gets the opportunity to help others.

If you love private practice and seeing thousands of patients that love you then after 30 years you should have an extremely busy practice from all your patient referrals yet your posts imply that you are struggling financially.

I would suggest to move from the stern to the bow and start creating the life you want with the cards you were dealt. Perhaps, you may want to throw away your cards and pick new ones. Its your choice as your the creator of your reality.

Steven

10. podiatrist100

podiatrist100 Member

Perhaps, you may want to throw away your cards and pick new ones. Its your choice as your the creator of your reality.

A podiatry residency would be new cards. Yet if recent graduates are given residency spots then it is quite difficult to get those new cards.
    But you are right in that it always pays to be optimistic. There might one year be a residency surplus and guess what, my chances and circumstances may change and I just might get lucky. It may take 5 or 10 years but eventually this just might happen.
    I wish to thank Lab guy for all your kind caring advice. Also happy holiday.

11. podiatrist100

podiatrist100 Member

Perhaps, you may want to throw away your cards and pick new ones. Its your choice as your the creator of your reality.

A podiatry residency would be new cards. Yet if recent graduates are given residency spots then it is quite difficult to get those new cards.
    But you are right in that it always pays to be optimistic. There might one year be a residency surplus and guess what, my chances and circumstances may change and I just might get lucky. It may take 5 or 10 years but eventually this just might happen.
    I wish to thank Steven for all your kind caring advice. Also happy holiday.