Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

podiatry admission tutors plea to keep jobs

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by fishpod, Apr 21, 2016.

1. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    This months podiatry now magazine contains a most interesting article about podiatry admissions to university. It basically states there are not enough applicants for available places many places go through clearance, they will accept less bright students to fill places , ie bums on seats, and that these students are more likely to drop out thus lowering the universities rank in the league tables and eventually the unis will drop podiatry as an option. the effect of this will be to put podiatry lecturers out of academic jobs. It askes us all to recommend podiatry as a good career to boost the numbers of brighter applicants. the major problem i forsee is that bright applicants can work out they are competing for patients with forces trained on the dark side and after 3/4 years training and 50 grands worth of debt might be at a slight disadvantage. I am not sure what can be done to arrest this slide any ideas.

2. Grow some balls.

3. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

......oh dear.....oh deary, dear. Is this really how we roll on Podiatry Arena? Perhaps the brightest of students are saving their ?50k after popping on this UK forum and catching glimpses of the profession illustrated by such podiatry advocates?

What (ffs) do you mean by 'grow some balls'?

Claire

4. blinda

blinda MVP

Yet, it`s OK to post condescending comments, with abbreviated profanities in brackets?

A dictionary quote that most bright students will be familiar with http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=grow some balls

fishpod is whining and griping about the same ol`with the usual anonymity...so a suggestion of `manning up` is appropriate, in my opinion.

5. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

'condescending comments' pots & kettles......

So, if fishpod were not posting anonymously his/her concerns would be worthy of a considered response; or is it the whining & griping of an article published in Podiatry Now that is not worthy of discussion according to the comment Police?

I put my profanities in brackets to ensure my comment was posted. Balls grown.

6. blinda

blinda MVP

Dare I say "Suits you".

Personally, I think any push for greater awareness of our profession is a positive move.

So, what is your contribution to the discussion of the article in Pod Now?

7. Claire

My comment was directed at the profession not the individual. When podiatry develops a clear sense of purpose and takes responsibility for determining its own future, rather than leaving the critical decisions regarding its establishment, training and practice environment to others - politicians, civil servants and lawyers - then we may see a better future for clinicians, educators and the general public. That's what I meant by growing some balls.

Best wishes
    Mark

8. blinda

blinda MVP

I sit corrected and, oddly enough, in complete agreement.

9. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

Mark. Thank you for your clarification. I am, like Belinda am in complete agreement with your response. It is a complicated subject and I do consider it vital that a discussion be had about it; the future of podiatry in the UK.

10. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

Belinda
    As I am re-reading the article now my first comment would be directed towards the Society 'shutting gate after horse has bolted', but that would be one idiom too many, and would constitute the type of unhelpful negative comment I am quick to complain about.

11. blinda

blinda MVP

Yeah. But, sadly true.

Maybe this wake-up call of threatened uni/research posts will fuel determination to put members wishes and the profession forward, instead of blindly following orders from the dizzy heights of Government.

(FFS, Craig. When you gonna sort out this problem with question marks and s**t? The editing is a pain in the a**e! )

12. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

The article requests readers' thoughts, and I note sadly that as at the time of writing there are no comments. I wonder why that would be?

13. blinda

blinda MVP

Probably the same reason that readers did not comment on the Nov issue of Pod Now, where the HCPCs` revelations in their published "article by Jonathan Jones, Stakeholder Communications Manager at the Health and Care Professions Council, answers your questions about the misuse of protected titles and the action the HCPC takes against those who imply they are HCPC registered when not registered....", CLEARLY disclosed that a non, or lapsed, HCPC registered podiatrist can continue to use their professional title, so long as they make it abundantly clear that they are not HCPC registered.

Nobody wants to rock the DoH boat, least of all those who claim to represent us.

14. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

When I eventually found the article on line, I made a comment.....it is awaiting moderation.

The article states that the 'working group' & Algeos agree that a big part of the problem with recruiting undergrads is the lack of an understanding about Podiatry among the general public. When in fact the Algeos survey only questioned their members (podiatrists) and not the general public. (If I drew a conclusion like that in my research project I would have been beaten...with a stick).

Whilst lack of awareness of podiatry in the general public is a huge concern, further research needs to be carried out, or the correct questions need to be asked of the right people, to determine the actual factors that prevent students from applying.

Claire

15. So what do you think the reasons are that make podiatry such a difficult undergraduate course to sell?

16. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

If I was looking at paying my way through an AHP undergraduate course now, I would look at the demand for that profession and the (predicted) number of jobs available at the end of it. How many nurses must there be compared to podiatrists? If I was going to get into debt up to my eye balls I would aim for job security at the end of it.

Podiatry as an undergraduate course was a dream; namely variety. One minute I was in the lab grinding down my finger end, next minute discussing athletes foot with a teenage boy, learning about pharmacology, then off to use my kind and caring hands and connecting with a patient for 20 minutes, creating my own treatment plan with the aid of my autonomous mind, and chatting about the state of the local bus service.

Even our (male) lecturers were the best looking out of the AHP bunch at Uni.

17. Maybe the young school kids are reasonably astute and can see the final product (us) then make the blindingly obvious decision for themselves? Perhaps they read the Internet....