Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Sea Urchin Treatment

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by LindaG, Jan 6, 2015.

1. LindaG

LindaG Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Does anyone have any experience of treating Sea Urchin spike wounds? My patient stepped on one of these around 6 years ago, got the spike excised under local anesthetic by his GP and has since had what looks similar to a large painful HD at the site, over 2nd MTPJ.

So far I have tried enucleation to see if there has been any spike left in but as this started to get too painful I had to stop. I have another appointment booked to try a deep enucleation with local anesthetic but am worried about causing more harm than good as I have read a few articles about spikes penetrating the joint space so am wondering whether to refer back to GP for an X-ray. Would something so small as this even show up on X-ray?

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. plevanszx1

plevanszx1 Active Member

Hi Linda
    I have personal experience of sea urchin spines in Halkidiki ,Greece in 1985. I had a few podiatry instruments with me , specifically a scalpel handle and some blades so was able to take the protruding tops off them and level th skin down as far as possible. when i got home i was able to use a tissue nippers to further extract as they gradually emerged . i cannot remember if i applied a dressing. If i did it would have been granuflex to bring them to the surface. Later in my career i came across a forestry worker with pine needles in his foot and used granuflex to bring them to the surface for extraction with a tissue nippers. the technique with a tissue nippers is to grip the needle /urchin spine and then press the tissues downwards making the needle more prominent
    Regards
    Peter

3. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

May not be obvious on X-ray but MRI would detect.

Bill Liggins

4. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

US would be helpful as well

5. damien101

damien101 Member

Hi used to treat a patient who had a fibrous lession callus on the foot after stepping on sea urchin unfortunately all that worked for this patient was offloading and regular debridement and occasional silver nitrate there will be scar tissue present and will always have callus formation on the area

6. springyfeet

springyfeet Active Member

I know someone who had similar treatment for them as verrucae's, that is to freeze them with liquid nitrogen, just like them to bring out the remainder of the sea urchin's spines. Luckily for them, no callus appearing over the old sites, not yet but was done over 30 years ago, so possibly still time to appear.

7. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

Possibly carefully breaking down the tissue with 60% salicylic acid, using a u'd felt pad would allow deeper access?