Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Advice needed please-clinical work and non-responder to Hep B vaccine

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by Bambam, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Bambam

Bambam Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi everyone,

Stupid question alert!

I was wondering if there are any/many of you that don't have Hep B immunity? I've gone through 4 years of uni to find I am a non-responder to the vaccine and now feel unsure of my future! I have tried to sign up to agencies and they need a certificate proving immunity of which I don't have! I don't know who to ask for advice on this. I realise this is just one of many blood-borne diseases and on one hand think just get on with it but as I also know, this is the most common I am a bit lost! :craig: Can anyone offer any advice?

Thank you

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Re: Advice needed please

I asked on a Facebook group about this and got some responses:

- how many courses have you had? A lot of non-responders apparently do respond on subsequent shots

-providing documentation that you had the shots may be sufficient

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Re: Advice needed please

Here is the policy from NSW health:
    http://www0.health.nsw.gov.au/policies/pd/2011/pdf/PD2011_005.pdf

I know you in the UK, but I assume most health authorities will have a similar policy.

4. Bambam

Bambam Member

Hi Craig,

Thanks so much for your help with this. I have tried 3 lots of vaccine, the latest being Twinrix which is Hep A & B. I am awaiting blood results of this one but was told it was unlikely to work. I really feel that this immunisation should be done prior to embarking on a career choice and not find out at the end of it that it has not worked. I know if I continue I will be working with additional risk and just don't know if I can face that or if I'm blowing it all out of proportion due to having no-one to talk to regarding this :bang:!

Thanks for the info.

5. Carolh2202

Carolh2202 Member

Hi Craig, I, too am a non-responder. My background is nursing and for years occ health would persuade me to have another course 'to see if it works this time' it never did!!!
    In the end I refused more courses, I am careful but have never had a problem in the 40yrs I have been a health professional. I have taken blood, sorted out bleeding wounds etc and just make sure I follow all sensible precautions. Good luck hope you have as much fun as I have! Carol

6. DamionH

DamionH Member

Hi Bambam,

I too am a non-responder to vaccines and so far I've not had any problems. I think if you can provide evidence of the vaccines and evidence of being a non-responder that should be fine. It has been for me so far.

As Carol said, just exercise all of the usual precautions.

Cheers,

Damion

7. SChad

SChad Member

Hello BamBam

Please don't worry - when future employers are asking for you Hep B vaccine history, they are simply wanting to know your status - so that your risk of infection and post-exposure prophylaxis can be managed properly in event of an inoculation event.

In a past life (before I had my children!) I was a UK registered Clinical Scientist working in Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (including GUM clinics and routine HepB Ab/Ag testing labs)...and Iam a "non-responder".

As far as I was concerned, I presented my Hep B vaccination history to Occupational Health Departments. I was aware of my status, took the same precautions as usual (you have to remember all the other blood borne viruses we are not able to vaccinate against!), and in event of a "needlestick", I knew to seek HBIG, and HbAg testing of patient etc as priority.

Its just so that your future employers can manage your health under their employment. As long as you present your vaccine history, I cant imagine why it would be a problem. For your own peace of mind, I would contact the occupational health departments of your local hospitals or have a look at their policies online.

Best of luck with your future in podiatry,

Sarah