Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Medihoney.

Discussion in 'General Issues and Discussion Forum' started by C Bain, Mar 22, 2005.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:
    Antibacterial honey for the prevention of peritoneal-dialysis-related infections (HONEYPOT): a randomised trial
    David W Johnson et al
    The Lancet Infectious Diseases, Early Online Publication, 10 October 2013

2. NewsBot

Articles:
    Topical application of the bee hive protectant propolis is well tolerated and improves human diabetic foot ulcer healing in a prospective feasibility study
    F.R. Henshaw et al
    Journal of Diabetes and its Complications; Available online 7 August 2014

3. NewsBot

Articles:
    This clinical trial was just registered:
    Manuka Honey for Wound Care

4. NewsBot

Articles:
    Honey as a topical treatment for wounds.
    Jull AB, Cullum N, Dumville JC, Westby MJ, Deshpande S, Walker N.
    Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015 Mar 6;3:CD005083

5. Tracy.gill

Tracy.gill Active Member

I really appreciate replies and glad to have more information on recent reviews. As a lone practitioner I don't have the time or luxury of conducting trials, but work to my scope of practice where possible but if I have a wound that doesn't heal by using iodine etc I then use honey or propolis from my own hives. I also have had patients with various allergies to iodine or want another alternative so I use my clinical judgement in what medicaments or alternative methods I use.

6. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

Sorry to rain on the parade but if you don't use medical grade honey then you are opening up a legal can of worms. Also it may have been used since B.C but DM is a fairly new comer. DM T1 died without insulin and DM T2 would probably only existed with the wealthy obese. DM foot ulcer probably rarely existed in the good old days. If a patient with a diabetic foot ulcer looses a leg anything that you have used will come under scrutiny. I think on the packaging (from memory) it says may be used for minor wounds. DFU's are potentially limb threatening I don't think a judge would say it's a minor wound. If you experiment with non medical grade honey then have good insurance.
    My 2 cents worth.
    Ros

7. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Efficacy and Safety of Natural Honey on the Healing of Foot Ulcers: A Case Series.
    Mohamed H et al
    Wounds. 2015 Apr;27(4):103-114.

8. drhunt1

drhunt1 Well-Known Member

I use sugar/betadine paste to treat diabetic ulcers with great success. It's cheap, easy to make, easy for patients to use on their own and has been extensively studied, but back in the mid-'80's. Sometimes "old school" works just fine.

9. Don ESWT

Don ESWT Active Member

Would it not be advisable to do vascular screening on patient first. Clear any blockages first to allow improvement in blood flow. Make sure patients has GIVEN UP smoking, drinking, and has their diet monitored and proper closed in footwear. But above all the patient MUST BE COMPLIANT. If they are not prepared to follow this path you must notify their GP immediately

Don Scott
    Grafton

10. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

Seemed to have missed poster# 48 methods at Liverpool HRFC. What level of EBM? Cochran? RCT etc? DFU"s are so multifactorial and complex that at the end of the day the dressing only forms a small % of the care plan. Saving a few cents on a dressing perhaps, but if your not going to use medical grade products why bother with sterile instruments?
    Ros

11. drhunt1

drhunt1 Well-Known Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956799/

Is the DFU sterile?

12. NewsBot

Articles:
    A Randomized, Controlled Clinical Trial of Honey-Impregnated Dressing for Treating Diabetic Foot Ulcer.
    Imran M, Hussain MB, Baig M
    J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2015 Oct;25(10):721-725.

13. NewsBot

Articles:
  14. NewsBot

Articles:
    Topical honey for the treatment of diabetic foot ulcer: A systematic review
    Ramya Kateel et al
    Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice; Article in Press

15. NewsBot

Articles:
    Manuka honey in wound management:
    greater than the sum of its parts?

R. White
    JOURNAL OF WOUND CARE VOL 25, NO 9, SEPTEMBER 2016 (full text)

16. NewsBot

Articles:
    Topical propolis improves wound healing in patients with diabetic foot ulcer: a randomized controlled trial.
    Afkhamizadeh M et al
    Nat Prod Res. 2017 Aug 22:1-4. doi: 10.1080/14786419.2017.1363755.

17. NewsBot

Articles:
    Effectiveness of using sialang honey on wound bed preparation in diabetic foot ulcer.
    Herianto Ritonga S, Masraini Daulay N.
    Enferm Clin. 2019 Feb 4.

18. NewsBot

Articles:
    A Brief Review about the Effect of Honey on Diabetic Foot Ulcer; from In
    Vitro Studies to Clinical Trials

Fahimeh Khosravi et al
    Research Journal of Pharmacognosy (RJP) 6(3), 2019: 85-91

19. NewsBot

Articles:
    Honey dressings for diabetic foot ulcers: overview of evidence-based practice for novice researchers
    Joseph Lewis Foster, Amanda McNaughton
    Source

20. Leigh

Leigh Member

There are lots of companies Colin, you can even buy it on Amazon. I use the dressings from Advantis.

21. NewsBot

Articles:
    Effect of honey dressing in the management of diabetic foot ulcers: A meta-analysis
    Shaoting Li et al
    Int Wound J. 2023 Mar 30

22. NewsBot

Articles:
  23. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Use of Medical Grade Honey on Infected Chronic Diabetic Foot Ulcers-A Prospective Case-Control Study
    Adéla Holubová et al
    Antibiotics (Basel). 2023 Aug 24;12(9):1364

24. NewsBot

Articles:
    The impact of wound pH on the antibacterial properties of Medical Grade Honey when applied to bacterial isolates present in common foot and ankle wounds. An in vitro study
    Carla McArdle, Shirley Coyle, Derek Santos
    J Foot Ankle Res. 2023 Oct 2;16(1):66.

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Effect of Honey, Aloe Vera, and Hydrocolloid Dressing on the Healing Process of Murine Excisional Wounds
    José Enrique Hernández-Rodríguez et al
    Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2023 Nov 15

26. NewsBot

Articles:
    The Influence of Honey and Hydrogel Products Therapy on Healing Time in Diabetic Foot
    Wael Mahmoud Searan et al
    Int J Low Extrem Wounds. 2024 Feb 29