Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Professional indemnity insurance in Australia

Discussion in 'Australia' started by rhetoric66, Apr 25, 2009.

1. rhetoric66

rhetoric66 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi All,
    I'm a UK pod heading to Queensland in the next few weeks and about to start the state registration process. I was sent some details about Guild's services for professional indemnity insurance, can anyone tell me if this would be a good choice???
    Also, do I need to join the Australian Podiatry Association?
    Thanks,
    Scott.

2. DaVinci

DaVinci Well-Known Member

Guild is the "preferred" or the "endorsed" insurance (or something like that) of the Australasian Podiatry Council.

Coming from another country, I would strongly suggest you join the Australain Podiatry Association (Qld), especially for the support network it can provide. However, joining is not compulsory (though it might be to access Guild insurance?)

3. markjohconley

markjohconley Well-Known Member

Goodaye Scott, going private, I take it?

4. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi Scott, if you want insurance from Guild you do have to be a member of the State Association (at least here in Vic) I would assume it is the same up there}.

5. wear84

wear84 Member

Scott

If your a member of the Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists in the UK then your still covered by the insurance they provide while working in Oz.

Could save you some money if you've already paid your fee's with them for this year.

Chloe

6. rhetoric66

rhetoric66 Member

Goodaye Mark!
    Yeah, it looks that way. I've never been to oz so I'm basing this on what I've found on the internet and what mates are telling me but it seems that most opportunities are private, what am I going to do with all that money?!!!
    Cheers,
    Scott.

7. NIKO

NIKO Member

Hi there,

the APODA is a member association, it is not a regulatory body, therefore it is not a matter of law as to whether you have to join. I would recommend that you do join the Association from a representative perspective but also do have to declare that I am a member of the Board. Nevertheless, feel free to contact your local association.
    Regards
    NIKO

8. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

There is some on going debate about value for money in relation to the association fees and what you may get for it. In Vic it is very city centric, over $800 a year to join and the indemnity insurer that they use is more expensive than the alternative that I use. I find I don't need to know how many Melbourne practices are for sale each month, nor how many city locum positions are available etc. If you are the type of person who will use a reference/library service provided by them you may get something out of it. I have found so far that going to other types of education opportunities is actually more educational and less expensive than going to the association run ones.....but that is just me....and I'm a little odd.
    regards Phill

9. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

l dont believe you need to be a member of the APODA to get Professional indemnity insurance, but you should check it out with them yourself, very friendly and helpful people.

http://www.guildgroup.com.au/

10. delpod

delpod Active Member

I have just gone through this process only a matter of months ago.

Guild Insurance is affiliated with the Australian Podiatry Council. Each state has its own branch of the APodC and thus is also affiliated with Guild. You DO NOT have to be a member of the APodC/State branch in order to be elidgeable to take out a Guild policy, however you recieve a 50% discount on your premiums if you are an association member.

The other competitor is AON whose policy prices are 50% less than guild's (from memory) which works out to be roughly the same as the association member discounted prices.

In the end I decided to join the association not only because of the HUGE guild discounts, but also because they give you regular updates inregard to professional development which is a useful resource IMO. I do agree that the Association could improve the way things are run but to my knowledge they are quite under-staffed most of time.

cheers

11. craig2002

craig2002 Member

Hi Scott,

The previous post re: Guild v's AON, is pretty much on the money. Have you got work lined up? If not the company I work for is looking for podiatrists at the moment?

Cheers,
    Craig

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    There is quite a difference in price; BUT one of them is more proactive in providing resources for prevention of problems; one of them has in-house lawyers available to answer immediate queries if something happens; etc ... I guess you get what you pay for.

13. delpod

delpod Active Member

exactly. i actually hadn't heard of "the other one" until i was told about them which is why i made the choice that i did ;)

14. pommypod

pommypod Member

Barton is that you? ApodA is not compulsory but would cover you is my understanding but you must be registered with QLD health board to work in QLD (each state has its own board) and you will need a medicare provider number and a blue card to deal with children.
    You,ve got my email address :):bash:

15. fili

fili Welcome New Poster

Hi Phill. What alternative insurance have you chosen?
    regards fili

16. fili

fili Welcome New Poster

hi Phil. What alternative indemnity insurance have you chosen to be with ?

17. Simone Lee

Simone Lee Active Member

also remember everyone that allegations of a sexual nature are not covered in guilds policy or standard insurance house policies. it is covered with aon and if you join insurance house as a member of the association.

18. TL74

TL74 Active Member

When I started working I was a member of The Podiatry Association and at that time AON was their preferred insurer. When I found the fees for the Association starting to become expensive for me I didn't rejoin but I stayed with AON. I am also a remedial massage therapist and use AON for my insurance there as well. Thankfully I have never had to use them in a legal sense but any of my dealing with them have been positive.

19. pgcarter

pgcarter Well-Known Member

Hi Folks,
    I have used AON all the years I have been registered and thankfully never actually needed their services, so while their fees have come up a little lately I cannot comment on how good they might be if it came to trouble.
    regards Phill Carter