Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Earn CPD points towards the Accredited Podiatrist Program

Discussion in 'Australia' started by admin, Dec 8, 2007.

1. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The Australasian Podiatry Council's Accredited Podiatrist Program requires that at least 30 hours of Continuing Professional Development (CPD) be carried out over two years with activity from at least two of the categories of CPD. More information from APodC is here.

Now that Podiatry Arena has installed the software to earn CPD Points for activity here, activity on Podiatry Arena can be used as a Type Two activity. More on how Podiatry Arena's CPD Points works is here.

Podiatry Arena will provide a certificate of how points are earned and convert the points into hours for the purposes of accreditation (more).

Registered members, when logged in can see the number of CPD Points they have under the welcome panel on the top right of each page.

2. Trent Baker

Trent Baker Active Member

Admin,

Come 1st July, how do we log the CPD points with the rego board? Do we just write them in our log book as 'Podiatry Arena CPD'? I guess it won't be hard for them to varify the points anyway.

Trent

3. admin

Trent

Thats the purpose of the certifcate we can produce (and your points total is lowered when we do it). The certificate has the www address to the information here so they can understand how the algorithm works at calculating the points --- the conversion to hours is extremely conservative (so coservative some people may not be happy with what we allocate). I think we need to be conservative until this form of CPD is acceptabe. Afterall, how much have you learnt here that improved patrient care????

4. Trent Baker

Trent Baker Active Member

I agree that keeping it conservative is the way to go. I have to say I'm glad to hear that the points are reduced when tranfered to certificate format. They are pretty easy to accumulate. I've really only recently started getting back into this site after spending most of my spare time managing a practice expansion. After a couple of days, reading and commenting I noticed the CPD points thing and was surprised to see how fast they had accumulated.

Never the less I'm really glad to see that this may be an acceptable way to accumulate points. It is a very valid avenue for discussion at the very least. It's also very accessable for those of us in private practice who are often looking for convenient avenues of communication. I have read several threads that have lead me to research papers which are also handy and contribute to Professional development.

I actually have learnt ideas and methods that may improve patient care. Reading responses by the likes of Payne, Kirby and Menz has to rub off atleast a little, doesn't it? :)

I'm enjoying it either way Admin. thanks for the answers.

regards
    Trent

5. admin

They accumulated fast because you not only read and learnt, you contibuted to others learning in the Preload the Hallux thread and as others replied, you get some credit for that as well. I still tweaking the weighting of different thing in the algorithm and still not 100% happy with it. For eg Newsbot has accumulated 63 000 points and they are not even a person (they are several people who help me out); they accumulated that many points because of the weighting given to starting new threads that get lots of replies (which they do a lot of) ....we will get it right one day.

6. MarkC78

MarkC78 Active Member

Are you able to give us an idea of how the conversion from points to hours will work? That may help some of us decide whether we actually need to order a certificate or not.

Thanks
    Mark

7. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

At this stage, its the incredibly conservative option of 1 point = 1 minute; it may change later as this form of CPD is more widely accepted and we have more adjusted and fine tuned the weighting of all the factors in the algorithm.

8. podtiger

podtiger Active Member

I've just made a post regarding this topic. With the new mandatory regualtions that came in on July 2010 it s become imperative to keep a log book regarding this. The 1 point =1 minute rule of thumb is a handy guide there.
    thanks,
    podtiger

9. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

Dear Admin:

I saw on the AHPRA Podiatry Guidlines for CPD.

file:///C:/Users/Lenovo/Downloads/Podiatry-Guidelines-for-continuing-professional-development%20(1).PDF

Page 2.
    That 20 hours are needed each Year 10 hours from 2 categories. This Differs from the 30 hours in 2 years as you have quoted in your post. Which one is correct? Also which Category does Points from Podiatry Arena fall into. Does it fall into more than one category? Could I do an Online seminar from Portal (10 hrs) + Points from Pod Arena (600 points approx) to fulfill my obligations for CPD for the Year? Or are they the same category so I could so one or the other but could not count both.?
    Please advise.