Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Australian pods adopting Dr Title

Discussion in 'Australia' started by JAYNES, Nov 13, 2010.

1. JAYNES

JAYNES Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all
    I have been looking at the codes and guidelines on the AHPRA website.
    For advertising we can adopt the title Dr if (podiatrist) is used after your name, i am interested in if any other podiatrists will adopt this title.
    Would this help that some of the public would stop perceving podiatrists as just toenail cutters? i would like to hear from other podiatrists if we should all adopt this title.

Thank for your time and i look forward to any replies.

Jaynes

2. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

3. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Oh no not this topic again!!!!!! The last thread gave me nightmares.

:deadhorse:

4. I thought our discussion about our american friend the Dentist was quite funny.

5. Tuckersm

Tuckersm Well-Known Member

Also from AHPRA

I have highlighted the areas, that I think, means we should not be using the title.

6. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

Good point.

But somehow I don't think all of the people who have a Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery, or Bachelor of Dentistry, etc. , will stop using the "Dr" title. Clearly these qualifications are not 'verifiable' doctorates. Those practitioners may only lay claim to 'credibility', through a quirk of historical courtesy.

So, I would suggest, there will prove to be varying interpretations of AHPRAs policy that will be open to yet more debate.

Lets see if chiropractors, dentists and medical practitioners pay any heed to this policy, then our profession can make its own determination.

LL

7. Sarah B

Sarah B Active Member

Do our patients really care what title we use?

Personally, I think not. In my experience the main factors that influence patients' perceptions include things like the ability to explain our diagnosis & management plan, behaviour that is consistent with trustworthiness, interventions and advice that is effective, and of course whether or not the patient feels they like the practitioner.

I have enough confidence in the validity of my qualifications to have no desire to use anything other than my everyday title.

Maybe the public will stop associating the word 'podiatry' with toenail cutting when podiatrists cease to receive public remuneration for that function. If that happens, who will carry out this task, while we busy ourselves with all of the more important tasks that are more in keeping with our training?

By the way - do physios have this same discussion about massage, I wonder?!

8. Paul Bowles

Ah yes, LOL what was his name again? Good point, that was an excellent discussion! I retract my point above, lets dig this puppy out of the ground and start running it around again! It gave me some great laughs last time....

....on topic (Dr Weber and I do get off topic occasionally) I don't know one Podiatrist in my area using the title - and besides Podiatric Surgeons in NSW I don't know of any Podiatrist using it either.

Does anyone have any examples in NSW of Podiatrists publicly adopting this title in lew of a PhD?

9. amcheli

amcheli Member

the solution is simply changing the name of bachelor in Podiatry to doctor of podiatry...because that what seems to be the problem, not the competencies it's the name of ones degree.

10. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Pod in Vic love it. I struggle with it.
    I did a whole lot of work for mine so use it most of the time in professional practice on written info only and rightly or wrongly bite my tongue when I see a new grad take it on. I get their argument and respect their right to do so, doesn't mean I have to agree with it.

I agree though with Sarah, I don't think our patients care.

11. Paul Bowles

Interesting enough this topic came up at the end of last year in a staff meeting - not about the use of the title "Dr" though, about the use of the title "Podiatrist". Due to clinic expansion, restructure and several other things our discussion centered around our clinic even using the word "Podiatry" anymore. Most of our patients didn't care what we were - they just knew we were all good at fixing foot problems and that's why they were referred to us or came to us.

What the practice admin people took away from that? If you are good at your job - honestly people do not care what you call yourself!

12. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

Further to that Paul. Respect is what you earn not what an exam result or title gives you.
    Ros

13. Paul Bowles

In saying that I notice recently in some media releases by certain "union" based Podiatry organisations they refer to a Podiatrist with no University qualifications as a "Dr". Go figure.....