Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Teaching Local Anaesthetics

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by Jill, May 17, 2014.

1. Jill

Jill Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    We have been using "foam feet" to teach local anaesthetic techniques to our undergrad students. These "foam feet" are now becoming a bit the worse for wear but to date we have been unable to identify a source to purchase some more. We have purchased some Huddersfield models but the students prefer the "foam feet" so any suggestions re where we can contact to purchase some would be much appreciated!
    Many thanks
    Jill

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

I can't supply that information, but pigs feet are cheap and give a much better sense of skin penetration.

All the best

Bill Liggins

3. Jill

Jill Member

Thanks Bill, that had also been suggested by a colleague who is a podiatric surgeon but he thought the skin was maybe a little tough! But will be worth a try.
    Kind regards
    Jill

4. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Ay, well, 'is patients are probably t'weak southerners. Oop north in 'Uddersfield they're'made of stronger stoof.

All the best

Bill

PS. My uni. is oop north in t'Sheffield!

5. Deka08

Deka08 Active Member

So, what happened to stabbing each other? Great way to understand why someone throws up when you pushed a piece of steel through their toe without injecting any LA.

6. When I was learning injection techniques at CCPM back now over three decades ago, we initially used oranges to help get a feel of the extra resistance that was present when puncturing the skin in injections. This should be a lot cheaper than pig's feet and smells much better. However, there is nothing like students practicing on each other's toes...this is the best way to learn.

7. Jill

Jill Member

Many thanks.
    I too trained in the day when we practiced on each other, and believe there is nothing to compare to this for several reasons however this is no longer permitted for ethical reasons.
    Jill

8. blinda

blinda MVP

`Tis a shame. We weren`t allowed to practice on each other, but I spent most of my summer hols, as a second year, `experimenting` LA techniques with a private practioner and also practiced on myself...great for empathising with what you`re administering to your pts.

Cheers,
    Bel

9. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

When I left Salford in 1987, I had been their anaesthetics tutor for two years. This was the time when it was becoming clear that practicing on your colleagues was totally unacceptable. Put simply, a surgical procedure with no possibility of a therapeutic outcome. After a short time of the orange game, we simply let them loose (at the time - no idea about now) on real people. That is what happens in medicine - why should we be any different?

Last edited: May 20, 2014
  10. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

You could try Langer (I once bought a latex foot model off them once, that might be what you are referring to?)

11. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

12. Jill

Jill Member

Thank you all
    Still searching :eek:
    Jill

13. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Hi Jill,

This site may be worth contacting. Not least of all because the foot injection model they advertise was
    Nothing like a little name dropping. :D Perhaps they could adapt for l/a techniques.

http://limbsandthings.com/global/products/foot-ankle-for-joint-injection

Kindest regards, Mandy.

14. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

Kevin

We used oranges on my course and, silly me, after injectiing the orange a few times had a pool of 'juice' in my hand which i quickly slurped the juice off my hand and of course numb lips tounge and throat ensued - OOPS! :eek:

Dave Smith