Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatrist arrested on sex charges

Discussion in 'Australia' started by NewsBot, Nov 17, 2011.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    The Examiner is reporting:
    South Launceston podiatrist facing sex charges
    Full story

2. Brigette

Brigette Welcome New Poster

This just disgusts me, both as a woman and Podiatrist.

Brigette.

3. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

I have no knowledge of any issues nor persons involved in this case.

However, it poses some relevant questions with respect to clinical practice.

In this case, we have a Podiatrist colleague whom has been subject to dire allegations and subsequently facing serious criminal charges. He has been placed in custody.

QUESTIONS:

As practitioners operating often by ourselves, is it not the case that all it would take is for a 'nutcase' patient to misinterpret a comment or action, and thus make an allegation?

What do we do in our practice to protect or safeguard ourselves, from allegations of unprofessionalism or otherwise???

For instance, I know of GP colleagues that ALWAYS consult with the surgery room door left open. - Dentists, for instance, always have a dental nurse alongside them all day. However, we are often in the treatment room on our own with the patient with the door shut.

What are your thoughts on this, colleagues ??

4. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

l have raised this issue with my son many times, he is not studying to be a Pod but an Osteo, the client is always half naked and your in the room alone, door shut.

In this day and age it screams danger.

You couldnt have a camera in the room but you could have an audio recording device going, "For training purposes" just like you hear on the phone when you ring a large company, declare it at the reception desk to avoid legal complication.

You might even through in the "For training purposes..and client review"

5. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

6. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Thanks, Boots n all and mr2pod.

That second article in mr2pod's post is bloody worrying.. "Mr ******** is alleged to have touched the woman's breasts and inserted his finger in her anus in the course of the Podiatry appointment." -

I really do hope that the Tasmanian Podiatry Association is at least providing some support to this Podiatrist whilst he has been remanded in custody.

It surely does raise some very real questions about safeguarding ourselves in our practices.

Posters here have been very quiet with respect to this thread.. But it really does warrant some discussion.

The tape recorder idea isn't bad at all, but I suspect it's not legally possible???

7. Boots n all

l record clients quite often as part of assessment with the Dartfish system, l ask for consent as it is part of the assessment process as l am sure many Pods do also.

Surveillance camera's run in stores all the time for security issues no consent asked for, is yours not a training/security issue?

l think it will be how you present it and plan to use the recording.

The big company that records your phone call when you call them, say its for training, but its mostly to protect themselves from "She said he said" they have an exact recording of what was said at the time.

Humor
    Showing your age there "Surfboy" l dont think my children would know what a "Tape" recorder was.

8. brekin

brekin Active Member

This is a very true picture:

Attached Files:

9. posalafin

posalafin Active Member

I think the more relevant question is how many podiatrists who haven't sexually assaulted (or any other assault for that matter) have been accused of doing so?

Sometimes we over react to things that happen. The reality is there are literally millions of patient examinations undertaken on a daily basis by a plethora of health practitioners. The majority of these examinations occur with only the practitioner and the patient present. How many accusations are made against health practitioners? How many are substantiated? In how many of the cases is the practitioner guilty?

Cameras, tape recorders, open doors,....Don't fiddle with what you aren't supposed to & don't partake in any conversation that could be misinterpreted by clients as being of a sexual nature. By my way of thinking a podiatrists hands should be nowhere near a patients breasts, and their fingers cetainly shouldn't be anywhere near a patients anus.

10. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

it's interesting how an accused but as yet unproved offender is named and shamed. Whilst there are cases of proven murderers/ offenders who cannot be named "for legal reasons".... sigh.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  11. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Couldn't agree more. Very unfair.

12. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Hahahahaha! Touche!!

..Geeez i am turning into an old bastard

13. Boots n all

Yes, hopefully that happens to all of us;)

14. Hoppo

Hoppo Member

Innocent until proved guilty!!?? If he is innocent he would be feeling pretty hard done by, but if not he deserves to be where he is.

No one knows what went on in that room apart from who ever was there (obvious I know). I am not saying this is the case here but have been told that there are unscrupulous people who want to make some easy money - (who would of thought). So rather than rob a bank they make an appointment with an allied health professional who does not have adequate financial personal protection, with the house and business in their name and no trust fund - so they check out who is vulnerable. After the appt with said health professional - they visit a lawyer and bingo - law case or settled out of court...

15. Rob Kidd

Rob Kidd Well-Known Member

There are two issues to make comment on here. Firstly - to Brigette (and others) above, it disgusts me too - but please let justice take its course - it disgusts me if he is guilty. I am male - but fail to see its relevance. Second, according to the newspaper article, found at http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...ceston-podiatrist-on-sex-charges/2362141.aspx

His names was ................ ...................... This name is not on the register of practitioners, nor on list of cancelled practitioners. Rob

16. jos

jos Active Member

"His names was ................ ...................... This name is not on the register of practitioners, nor on list of cancelled practitioners. Rob"

Yes it is- he is on the list of registered podiatrists.

17. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Well, yes. This would not surprise me.

18. Rob Kidd

Ha! Spelt with one R - not two as in the report. Rob

19. Rob Kidd

One never knows where the boundaries are. I used to do a Saturday morning surgery for my friend Mandy Macdonald in Gladesville - Sydney. This is in about 1997. One morning I had to do a biomech exam on this girl - about 30 - and while she was lying down on the plinth, I (after asking permission) pulled up her sweater to see the waist line of her jeans. At this point she made a comment that she had had a zip problem - her fly zip was broken and the top edge of her underwear was clearly visible. What does one do next? I decided that adult behaviour was the way forward and said some thing like "if it dosn't bother you, it doesn't bother me". The examination was finished with no further issues and we parted company as adults. I recognised all the issues raised in this debate - but once in a while - common sense must prevail. Rob

20. Brigette

Brigette Welcome New Poster

Justice will take it's course as he had admitted to the crime.

It's a shame that everyone has to try and protect themselves, either as clients or practitioners.

Brigette

21. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Brigette, you are publishing completely incorrect information.

From the Launcestion Examiner: "Mr Williams pleaded not guilty to both offences before magistrate Robert Pearce in a Launceston court yesterday".

22. mr2pod

mr2pod Active Member

Brigget it would be good if you could clarify how/why you believe he pleaded guilty
    Surfboy - the article you quote is dated 18 Nov 2011, but also states his court hearing will be 25 Nov 2011, so Brigette may know more on the issue.

23. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    the 17th Nov article from The Examiner said:
    http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...on-podiatrist-facing-sex-charges/2361540.aspx

The article from 18 Nov said:
    http://www.examiner.com.au/news/loc...ceston-podiatrist-on-sex-charges/2362141.aspx

24. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Does anyone know the outcome of the court appearance on 25 November?
    I tried to look through the Launceston Magistrates Court transcripts but could not find the case..

25. NewsBot

Articles:
    I am trying to contact the Examiners court reporter.

26. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Its going to trial:
    Full story from Yahoo! News

27. NewsBot

Articles:
    The latest:
    From ABC news

28. Admin2

Admin2 Administrator Staff Member

The latest from The Mercury:
    Full story

29. NewsBot

Articles:
  30. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

Podiatrist guilty of sexually assaulting patientABC April 12, 2013, 8:11 am
    A Launceston podiatrist who was found guilty of sexually assaulting one of his female patients will be sentenced next month.

Terence Williams, 40, had denied charges of aggravated sexual assault and indecent assault, relating to a patient consultation in 2011.

A Supreme Court jury took two hours to find him guilty of sexually assaulting the 30-year-old woman at his Kings Meadows clinic, but cleared him of a charge of indecently assaulting her.

During sentencing submissions his lawyer Charmaine Gibson requested a psychological report on her client.

Williams will be sentenced in the Supreme Court in Hobart next month.

31. DAVOhorn

DAVOhorn Well-Known Member

Dear All ,

Over 20 years ago i asked a new patient to remove her shoes and socks and have a seat on the couch.

She had completely undressed and was on the couch naked. I walked staright out of the clinic room and got the female practice manager to ask the lady to put her clothes back on. I also wrote the incident on to patient notes and also completed a formal incident report and asked the manager to do the same.

The Lady was very embarrassed and appologised, however i asked for a female witness to sit in with me for the appt.

I also arranged for her to be seen by a female member of staff in future.

This did happen over 20 years ago when i was reasonably fresh out of the factory, and thus still a bit naive.

Over the years we did have a few incidents where female pts had forgotten !!!!! to wear undies under the skirts dresses. Again incident reports completed and pt put over to female staff.

I do not believe i have ever met a pt who would consent to a rectal examination by a Podiatrist.

Hmmm wonder what sentence will be?

David:drinks

32. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

33. NewsBot

Articles:
  34. Launcestonpatient

Launcestonpatient Welcome New Poster

I happened to have been a patient of Terence Williams and found him to be an exceptionally good podiatrist. His surgery he operated out of was at the far end of the practice away from Reception, and to be frank had I been the sole male in the surgery I would have requested the surgery nearest the receptionist's desk. "There is no smoke without fire" and the obvious cliches prevail, but I find it incomprehensible that this man put his profession and integrity at risk and whilst admitting to the offence committed I wonder what pressure had been placed on the guy in question as far as the law was concerned. Having to resort to charitable accomodation together with loosing his relationship and possibly having his visa, deportation and registration revoked seems a complete waste of the man's ability. Lets face it there are some strange women out there also!.
    I sincerely hope that the British Podiatry Board will give him some consideration before removing him from their register.
    There is much more to this than meets the eye I am sure!

35. Boots n all

Can l ask how do you know he has had to" resort to charitable accommodation together with loosing his relationship"? l dont see that any news article anywhere.

36. Launcestonpatient

Launcestonpatient Welcome New Poster

37. NewsBot

Articles:
    Podiatrist's ban backdated
    Full story

38. NewsBot

Articles:
    Press Release from Podiatrists Registration Board:
    Mr Terrence Williams – disqualified from applying for registration for three years.