Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Is it time to quit?

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by smellyfeet, Mar 26, 2013.

1. smellyfeet

smellyfeet Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Long time observer, first time commenting, so please bare with me. :dizzy:

being a new grad, I have been working for a private establishment for the past 3 months. Since the start of my contract with said company, i was not told about the "marketing" services they provide at a cheaper price. As i'm a contractor, I see pretty much 5/15 of my patients at no cost, thus no remuneration for myself.I have spoken to the manager who's brushed it off saying its a good networking tool with GP's and a great way to practice my debriding skills, which personally does not sound like a well off deal for me to accept. I have have just finished training with the company and have recently been offered another position, and wondered what legitimate resignation reasons I could provide without being too blunt.

any type of advice would be appreciated.

2. why provide them with anything - just say I quit and move on , anyone who wants you to work for free does not deserve any sort legitimate discussion on your future or past.

If you had of decided to work for free then ok , just quit and move on

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Active Member

Just move on, put it down to experience. If you have made the effort to express your frustration in public - then it is time to move on.

4. blinda

blinda MVP

5. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Does your contract mention this 'pro bono employer work'? If not then there may be a legal case. To be honest, you would probably spend much time and money fighting it, but on the face of it, you can certainly use the fact as a legitimate reason for resigning.

I agree with the other comments, there is no justification for demanding that you work gratis; if you have been offered a better deal, then walk.

Bill Liggins

6. ukpodstudent

ukpodstudent Member

my token resignation letter goes something like 'I am writing to inform you of my intent to resign from my post as....due to a change in my circumstances I no longer feel that I can continue in the role.
    It has been a valuable experience working for the company and I would like to wish you all the very best for the future.

it severs ties without going into any reasons why and still maintaining good terms in case you need a reference ;-)

7. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have been around long enough to observe shortages of podiatrists; oversupply of podiatrists; to the Uni's being accused of training too many and also periods of not training enough!

During the last shortage in Australia, a few yrs back, there was a lot of discussion what to do about it. The Universities can't produce a whole lot of new grads next week.

One thing noticed at the same time was the figures that showed the average amount of time a podiatrist spent in the profession was actually quite low...I proposed that the solution to the shortage of Podiatrists was to extent the average time that a podiatrist spent in the profession by one yr .... problem solved.

I also proposed at that time, that the average time that a podiatrist spent in the profession was directly proportional to how well they were treated in their first job.

Ironically,those who were complaining the most about the shortage and not being able to get staff were those who treated new grads the worse .....don't figure

....yes, it's time to quit. Get a better job.

8. antipodean

antipodean Active Member

Reminds of a practice owner in the 90s who commented to a lecturer that his pod school was producing arrogant graduates with unrealisitc expectations (new grads were expected to go letter boxing if there were appintment vacancies). You would be surprised by just how many pods have a horror story about their first job, glad that you just want to chuck your present job as podiatrist and not your career as a podiatrist.
    I'd keep the letter positive in tone, but the fact is that the expectation gap about the requirements of role is profound. Don't be frightened by the leaving a job especially your first so soon is a black mark on your résumé. That classic line is indenture tactics 101.

9. Schumacher

Schumacher Welcome New Poster

I have to say, working for nothing or below true cost whilst relying on other means to supplement your income to your practice de-values your profession and yourself. Your employer sounds to be one whom utilises lower waged professionals in order to build themselves a bigger profit. Get a new post and then move on!

10. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

Any services provided for free or at a lower cost simply reinforce an idea that foot care should be free or is low value. It is not sound marketing and will only attract patients who are unwilling to invest in their care. Definitely time to move on. I had many different positions including 4 part time locums and 2 full time jobs before I found my current and my current employer did not care that I had to move around a bit to find a good fit. :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  11. Ideology

Ideology Active Member

These things can be complicated. Sounds like you believe you are a contractor, not an employee. An employee has a legal right to be paid for the work they do and the appropriate authority will enforce that. AS a contractor I assume the rate at which you will be paid is clearly defined and the other party does not have the right to impose pro-bono work on you without consent. But it sounds to me like you are an employee rather than a contractor and your employer my have tax and other issues.

You are an employee if:
    1. If you can be told what to do and when to do it
    2. If you have an obligation to complete the work, that is you can't just decide not to do it
    3. If the work can only be performed by you and you can't ask someone else to do it

And if any of these exist
    - works set hours, or a given number of hours a week/month;
    - is paid by the hour/week/month;
    - works at the employer's premises or at places determined by the employer;
    - is not allowed to work for others (especially competitors); and could be dismissed.
    Then despite the presence of a contract, you may be an employee rather than a contractor, and employment law would apply, not Civil or commercial law.
    If you can find another job do it.

12. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

Where is the oversupply of podiatrists? Around the cities where the Unis are training them?
    Look further afield if necessary, locum work, rural or interstate.
    There is PLENTY of work out there if you are willing to give it a go.
    Didn't you do enough free treatments at Uni?
    All the best!

13. vegetarm

vegetarm Member

If a course was booked (and paid in full) by an employer 3 months ago and an employee resigns a few days before the course (however still working out 5 weeks notice), are they eligible to attend?

14. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

Good point by Ideology there

Might i add, that i think if they supply you with your equipment to do the job at hand then you are also classed as an employee (unless you lease it)

If you are an "employee" they are obliged to pay you annual leave and super etc