Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Observing in the nhs - updating knowledge

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by mwlfoot, Mar 25, 2015.

Tags:
  1. mwlfoot

mwlfoot Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all

I am currently trying to get back my hcpc registration and I have a lot to do given I have been out of podiatry practice for over 5 years so there probably isn't a lot that has changed with basic treatments but the way in which the service is delivered and clinical governance has probably changed a lot so with that in mind I want to simply observe a few clinics in the nhs to see how patient care is delivered so I can see first hand how things have changed since the last time I practiced.

It appears however this is a lost cause as despite having associate membership of the society my own dbs check apparently because of confidentiality which I respect is a matter of concern I cannot do this. I asked if I could just have a chat with the podiatrists when patient were not around and I was told they couldn't even do that because of industrial espionage!!!.

So is this a lost cause I would like to know if this is the case across the board to save me the time of asking many nhs just to get the same responses. I appreciate the concerns regarding confidentiality espeicially with social media but couldn't I just sign a confidentiality agreement or if the patient agrees that its ok am there or do I just need to face up to the truth. Its just not possible and am I :deadhorse:

would really appreciate any useful insights on this issue

Ta v muchly mwl

2. hannah999

hannah999 Member

Have you tried your local branch of SCP for advice, there may be people in the area who can help you out, even if it's not shadowing NHS work they may be able to give you some information. Also I seem to remember seeing somewhere in SCP information that they will help you find a mentor to help with the process of getting back into podiatry and getting HCPC registration.

3. Liz Salem

Liz Salem Member

Hi
    There are a number of NHS Trusts that are happy to accept requests from individuals wanting to observe/practice under supervision in order to regain HCPC registration, but not all Trusts feel obliged to help in this way.

The Society does have a list of mentors comprising of SCP members (both private and NHS) that have are willing to supervise and also training schools that offer some form of return to practice support. As you’re already an Associate Member you should be able to access it but if not, just contact the Education Department there. Depending on your circumstances they should be able to advise you further