Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry Shadowing/Work Experience

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by tinkertinker0612, Oct 10, 2013.

1. tinkertinker0612

tinkertinker0612 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I am applying to do the Podiatry degree next year and need to do some shadowing but I am banging my head against a brick wall with it.

I have contacted every podiatrist I can find and only two people have been willing to help me out. They have then changed their minds.

I have contacted different podiatrist via mail, email and phone.

Does anyone know why podiatrists are so against shadowing?

Thanks

2. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Tinker,

First of all :welcome: to the Arena. This is a great place for students to reflect on their learning and absorb the wealth of knowledge freely available. Wish I knew about it when I was an undergrad....

I regularly have potential students shadowing my practice, the only requirement is a positive/enthusiastic attitude and a willingness to travel to Winchester, Hampshire.

Cheers,
    Bel

3. tinkertinker0612

Thank you for the welcome. ;)

I have contacted every Podiatrist in the area and further afield and I dont seem to be getting anywhere. I am either ignored, told they will get back to me with dates or a straight no.

I am really starting to panic because its a requirement to have completed some shadowing before I can be considered for the course.

I just dont understand why they are so against it in my area. :wacko:

x

4. blinda

blinda MVP

So, take me up on my offer. PM or email me, but please don't send kisses. At least not until I know you better;)

5. sam_wallwork

sam_wallwork Active Member

Have you tried contacting your local NHS? We quite often have people shadowing

Sam

6. Ian Drakard

Ian Drakard Active Member

I've had people in shadowing in the past and would be happy to in the future.

If you give an idea of your area you mught get some more offers

7. Ditto - I'm in Lancashire

8. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Active Member

TinkerTinker

You REALLY should take Blinda up on her offer! She is so welcoming and knowledgeable and happy to answer questions and give you helpful tips. When I shadowed her (I came from Kent to Winchester) it was an insightful day that I'd love to repeat!

Its really strange that Pods near you didnt want you to shadow them - as Ive done it recently and I must say it keeps you on your toes and helps you brush up on the current state of your knowledge as you really have to dig deep to answer them questions - which is good for everyone!

It is really important that you DO shadow others before embarking on the course - as it can be a tough 3 years and its good to know from the outset what you are letting yourself in for! Having said that Im really glad I completed the course and two years post graduation Im still happy in my choice.

If you can get NHS shadowing under your belt too it would be great - so don't delay and follow up on your current offers.

The very best of luck
    Regards Linda

9. spike123horse

spike123horse Active Member

Im in Hartlepool in the frozen north east & we are happy to have prospective students. Someone did it for us, so we're happy to pass it on

10. Tim VS

Tim VS Active Member

Ditto. Based in Kent I have had a few prospective pods shadowing me and am happy to do my bit.

Regards

Tim

11. tinkertinker0612

I didnt know there had been replies on this thread.

Thank you to everyone who has replied and your advice I do appreciate it. :)

12. PodBex

PodBex Welcome New Poster

Hi Tinker, I'm a first year student.

That's a real shame you are finding it so hard to gain some shadowing experience, I think every Southampton podiatrist I asked last year replied and offered me a couple of hours of their time. I was surprised just how many agreed actually.

My only worry was I couldn't get any NHS experience at all, but in the end I had about 2 weeks of experience with a few different private Podiatrists and all my interviewers were happy with that.

13. spike123horse

spike123horse Active Member

I think that they just need to know that you are aware of what the job actually entails? to try to cut down on the amount of drop outs??

14. PodBex

PodBex Welcome New Poster

Yes I think so. There are a couple in my year who did no shadowing at all which I thought was surprising.

15. LeilaMJ

LeilaMJ Member

Hello Bel,

I was reading through some threads and I've seen on one of them that you are willing to take on someone to shadow you.
    I was wandering if I could intrude and ask for a chance to shadow you if that is possible?

I would really love to shadow a podiatrist, in addition to that I really need to also, as it's a part of the university entry requirements. :D

Any help or information would be beneficial.

Thank you very much

Kind regards,
    Leila M J Aouani

16. LeilaMJ

LeilaMJ Member

Hello Tinker,

I am in the same position as you at the moment, I tried everywhere in Liverpool without success. I am now searching for shadowing opportunities outside Liverpool, anywhere in the UK is good.

Have you had any luck eventually?

Thank you :D

17. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Active Member

Hi Leila (and other students/pre-students of Podiatry)

If you can get down to shadow Bel you will learn ALOT - I really enjoyed my time visiting her practice. It all depends if you (or others) don't mind travelling a bit as you are coming from Liverpool I presume?

I am happy to offer a shadowing experience to students in Kent (SE London) - and will probably have a bit more time on my hands to talk atm - as I've literally just moved into/furbished a High Street Clinic. For although my regular (mobile) patients are still coming to me - there are a few more gaps than usual as it takes a while for the locality to check out where and who I am! [So I would have more time to answer deep questions lol].

Good luck with your studies and, above all, enjoy them!

Cheers
    Linda Russell
    Linda Russell's Foot Surgery
    @ Swanley Health Clinic
    38 High Street
    Swanley
    BR8 8BQ

18. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Leila,

No intrusion at all. Got a whole lotta stuff going on at the moment (daughter`s wedding in 3 weeks) so PM me to arrange a couple of days after 25th October.

Cheers,
    Bel

BTW, I`m currently reading Lila, could be an omen ;)

19. Adrienne

Adrienne Member

Leila, have you tried the NHS in Liverpool or South Sefton, I used to work there and they are a really lovely bunch. I am in foundation degree and pre reg nursing, ODP and midwifery teaching now so I've no direct patient care otherwise you would be welcome with me.

20. JonathanH

JonathanH Member

Belinda kindly allowed me to shadow mid June 2014 - she's really kind and approachable (and totally worth the trip to Winchester all the way from Aussieland) :)

Be sure to carry a big smile :)

21. LeilaMJ

LeilaMJ Member

Hello everyone again! :D

Thank you so soooo much for all of your help and offers. I would happily take them ALL :D I'm so grateful, over the moon even!!

I will PM you to arrange a suitable time for me to visit. Thank you so much again :D

22. LeilaMJ

LeilaMJ Member

Hello Adrienne and thank you for your help. I have tried the NHS in Liverpool, and I secured a place on a 3 day inclusive hospital placement in Aintree, but it was only for Physiotherapy XD which isn't what the universities are asking for really. I just thought it would be better than no clinical experience at all, every little helps! :D

Thank you very much for your help though. All the best with your foundation degree :D