Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Obtaining a license to practice Podiatry in USA/Illinois

Discussion in 'USA' started by spiller, Jul 14, 2014.

1. spiller

spiller Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

I realize this is a topic which has been discussed a number of times on these forums, but I have some specific questions that i'd like to clarify, so please bare with me. I am an Australian citizen and board registered podiatrist in this country. I undertook a three year bachelor degree here (completed over 7 years ago). My wife is an Illinois native and we are looking at our options for returning to the USA to live.

The visa side of things should not be an issue for me. My concern is my ability to continue my work as a podiatrist. Obviously its somewhat of a different profession in the US with a much higher level of schooling.

From what I was led to believe, you cannot practice podiatry in any US state without a license for that particular state (different to Aus which is now regulated by a single national board). So, I did some research into obtaining a license for the state of Illinois. I even rang the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation which is responsible for regulating Podiatry in Illinois...

I phoned the IDFPR and explained my circumstances and they directed me to a specific set of criteria for Podiatrists from "outside jurisdictions" who require "endorsement" of their current license (in order to be granted an Illinois license). In summary I would need to sit three separate exams and complete a year of post graduate training.

Does this apply to podiatrists from international countries? It seemed like perhaps the IDFPR rep I spoke to was confusing this with Podiatrists applying from other US states. I guess it depends on the interpretation as there was no literature specific to international applicants, just the broad categorization of "applicants from outside jurisdictions".

I always thought I would need to have studied within the US but now i'm not sure? I would like to know. The three exams and a year of post grad. is an attractive option, however going back to school for four years plus three years residency may not be possible for me. Especially considering my qualifications are over 7 years old and I would need to refresh general eds just to be even accepted into a US school.

Is there an organisation other than the IDFPR that I can speak to who can give me some more specific information about licensing in Illinois?

Also, do ALL podiatrists in the US tend to actually practice surgery on a regular basis or are there some that wish to focus on other areas of podiatry and never perform surgeries (despite being qualified to do surgery)?

Many thanks.

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    It will not be possible for you to get licensed with an Australian qualification in the USA.

Consider looking into a pedorthic license

3. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

Craig is, of course, quite right. I also made the move from England with surgical qualifications. The US makes no exemptions possible and rules are laid out by the Office of Professions setting out requirements per state. It's 4 years of school and three years residency is now compulsory for Board certification eligibility. That being said, it is possible, in principle, to complete only 1 year of residency but you can never hope to obtain either the medical or surgical board qualification. Which is a major drag since you may require approval from insurance carriers and also for hospital privileges.

And yes, there are those US Podiatrists who prefer a non surgical practice.