Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Dry gauze debridement in diabetic ulcers

Discussion in 'USA' started by anthony watson, Feb 27, 2014.

1. anthony watson

anthony watson Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    hi
    Is it still common in the USA to use wet to dry sterile gauze for an aid in debridement?

I think the technique involves placing sterile gauze soaked with saline over the wound.
    Once dry it is removed with the aim of helping debride the wound.

I may have the technique described wrong as have no experience of this type of debridement.

Only ask because I was reading through some old note I had when doing my tissue viability nurse training (I am a pod) and this was described as been popular in the USA?

P.s I could be talking crap as never used the procedure but doing some reading around debridement!

Thanks
    Anthony

2. Donnchadhjh

Donnchadhjh Active Member

Hi Anthony,

Not being from the US, nor visiting there I cannot comment on its use there.
    However, I can assure you that I have seen it done in Australia as late as 2010; so I would assume it is still being done to this day - I am no longer in an environment where I get to hear about this sort of debridement. I do know for sure that the patients didn't like it much, and certain practitioners got a very bad reputation as a result.

3. anthony watson

anthony watson Active Member

hi
    thanks for the reply.
    I think it seemed to be used when an element of neuropathy was present.

must like waxing your privates !

thanks
    anthony :eek: