Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Regulation of Podiatry

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Mark Russell, Apr 19, 2012.

1. For clarity, are members who hold DPodM or BSc Hon degrees registered with the hcpc, PSA or both

2. Can I assume then that you were under the impression that titles were protected and their use restricted to those holding concurret registration with the HCPC until you learned differently ........when?

3. Johnpod

Johnpod Active Member

Hi Mark,

BSc Hons Podiatrists are registered with the HCPC.... they cannot belong to the Accredited Register of Foot Health Practitioners.

Foot Health Practitioners can belong to the PSA Accredited Register of Foot Health Practitioners if they meet the entry standards. They cannot be HCPC registered.

The key to understanding regulation is the role of the Professional Standards Authority who oversee statutory regulation and accredited registers.

4. I suspect the key to understanding regulation is a continuous three-month regime of ECT in conjunction with intravenous LSD. Assuming you are fully medicated, I would imagine that another professional organisation can apply to set up an accredited voluntary register of non HCPC registered podiatrists - say a Register for the "General Podiatry Association" or similar - and claim to be "registered" as does your members..

5. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi John,

In light of recent disclosure (ie, that a non, or lapsed/former HCPC registered podiatrist can continue to use their professional title, so long as they make it abundantly clear that they are not HCPC registered), why would you not allow a qualified podiatrist entry onto the PSA accredited register?

Cheers,
    Bel

6. blinda

blinda MVP

Just spotted this;

I think I have a pretty good understanding of regulation, John. The PSA do indeed oversee (or audit, as their website states) the regulators, but they are not regulators themselves. They do not hold any legal powers and are accountable to the UK Parliament. It was good to see that the College of Foot Health Practitioners has also recently updated its understanding by changing this previous statement, so that registrants of the accredited register realise that they are not regulated by the PSA;

To this;

Regulation, eh? Madder than Mad Jack McMad, the winner of this year's Mr Madman competition!

7. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

No. You would be correct in assuming that the potential HCPC wished to communicate that assumption to potential registrants, but I for one, did not trust them an inch.
    :deadhorse:

8. Not quite what I asked, but never mind.

9. Fancy that, huh? Just another part of that wicked web, Bel. Breathtaking hypocrisy, but what else do you expect? It's all about the money....;)

10. blinda

blinda MVP

Adjourned to 26th February 2016.

11. Indeed it was...

And the 26 February is, by another coincidence, the date of the first successful appeal at the Old Bailey. I'm fast running out of currency with this one, but thank you to all of you who made the effort to come up to Preston today - I can never repay the kindness and generosity I have been afforded by any of you. But at least today, the issues between our profession and its relationship with the statutory regulator and government, have been aired in an altogether different arena - one whose view will carry greater authority than just my own. I think a good rest is in order, so may I just take this opportunity to wish you all the very best for the festive period and for 2016.

Attached Files:

12. Simon Ross

Simon Ross Active Member

Why was it adjourned? How many times in the past have things been adjourned? (my last statement is a criticism of the court/HCPC, not a question!

13. Pauline burrell-saward

Pauline burrell-saward Active Member

Mark,

Not sure why you are being so coy about what has taken place in your latest proceedings on this site.

After all you have put every thing on your own blog

14. Coy? You going to have to explain that one to me, Polly. You can always read the blog and any questions you might still have you can ask here. Is that difficult?

15. Catfoot

Catfoot Well-Known Member

Whoops, dropped a clanger!

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
  16. Catfoot

Pauline BS,
    because things aren't going his way, Nemesis is around the corner, he's bankrupt and his groupies have deserted him. :rolleyes:

He now has to decide between jumping off Knott End at high tide in front of the Isle of Man Ferry or suffering an ignoble end dying of boredom watching the wrinklies at the Royal Lytham St Annes Golf Course. Not an enviable choice.

17. Pauline burrell-saward

Pauline burrell-saward Active Member

Whats with the "Polly" I assume its either your warped sense of humour, or you are being rude

18. Oh dear, you can almost taste the bile! As difficult a time as it has been, I'm not sure I've quite reached the point of suicide yet, which I'm sure will disappoint. Even on the most difficult days - and there have been a few - I take great comfort in two things; the first and most important is the knowledge that there is a great counterweight in the profession of really decent, good people whose generosity and kindness far surpass the bitterness and spite a very small minority exhibit each time they crawl out from under a stone - and the second being whatever difficulty I may find myself in now or in the future, I know for certain that I have a much different personality than you. That gives all the comfort and reassurance I would ever need.

19. You are a good man, Mark. I'm rooting for you all the way to the end... from a continent and an ocean away. Whatever the outcome, your journey will not be forgotten!!:drinks

Merry Christmas!:santa:

20. drhunt1

drhunt1 Well-Known Member

+340 posts devoted to your legal dilemma, Mark? So either you're a glutton for punishment or really full of yourself. Judging by the way you attacked me, however, I'm inclined to believe the latter. What goes around, comes around. But take heart in the fact that you've received Kevin Kirby's "good housekeeping seal of approval". He treated me much the same way as you did...with a complete lack of respect or professionalism.

You will receive reasonable and deserved justice...of that I'm sure. Take a word of REAL advice..or leave it...your call. Treat others like you would want to be treated. Hope this helps....

21. What a sad man you have turned out to be.

22. Thanks Kevin, most gracious and generous as always. Best wishes to you and yours for 2016.

Kind regards

Maerk

23. blinda

blinda MVP

Ja, I'm sure that those on my ignore list are contributing professional and constructive posts here, as always.

Great to see so many last week at Preston Crown Court demonstrating their support. Speaks volumes.

24. drhunt1

LOL! That's the pot calling the kettle black, son. So I take it you're not going to take my time-honored advice? Your call....344 posts about you and your legal woes...and counting. Who's the sad one, again?

25. It clearly doesn't concern you that what you write on the Internet will be available for generations to come where perhaps one of your lineage might happen across an old archived page of this thread, and worry whether their genetic passport might extend further than just the physical. You jump on the professional scene with bizarre claims that quite properly were cautioned and dismissed by one of the leading authorities in the field - who you invited to comment - and what followed is the slow self-inflicted destruction of what reputation you once craved. Pick your dummy up and please put it to good use. I'm pretty comfortable with my lot, Matt - and even more comfortable in my own skin.

Good luck in coping with yours.

26. drhunt1

Let's see...I had Dr. Valmassy review my work...yet you drop an anonymous colleague's dismissal of my hypothesis as proof that my claim is bizarre? Tsk, tsk, Mark...tell me again...who's a better authority on this subject...Dr. Evans...or Valmassy? Do you REALLY want to "go there"? If you're in communication with Angela...ask her why if she's so concerned about the misdiagnosis of cancer, why she never mentioned it in her papers published in 2003 or 2008?

Remember the tombstone jpeg you placed on the growing pains blog? Your problem Mark, at least to me, is pretty obvious. Good luck dealing with those that hold the hammer above your head...you're going to need it.

27. Catfoot

Blinda,
    So, if they are on your "ignore" list how is it you can see them? The whole point of an "ignore" button is to ignore isn't it?! Do you get others to have a little peek for you, you sad person? :D

28. Catfoot

MR,

That's the most sensible thing you've said for about 300 posts, I hope you can build on that.

I'm sorry Knott End doesn't appeal to you, it's a nice place (in Summer) http://www.francisfrith.com/uk/knott-end-on-sea

29. You would certainly know that as it's not that far from you, is it? Next time I'm passing I'll drop by and say hello - it'll be a pleasure to meet such a fine fellow :drinks

30. It is. Don't think you need the shades at this time of year though..

Attached Files:

31. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

Is Mark the only individual doing anything about this whole situation? I (think I) recall podiatrists being able to show support/understanding of Mark's cause by them not re-registering with the HCPC, if this was the case did anyone not re-register?

It is difficult to keep track of the complicated legal matters of this case when the threads are interrupted by people 'talking' to each other via the internet in a manner that they would not do face-to-face.

Claire

32. Simon Ross

Simon Ross Active Member

People have done things. People have written to MPs about the situation, but the government won't listen/budge an inch.

33. Claire72

Claire72 Active Member

Hi Simon, thanks for your reply. I just wondered how many potential podiatry students have been out off by this seeming regulation minefield. We may never know.
    Claire

34. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hi Claire. In order to have a mass resignation there would have had to be support for an alternative body which could approach Parliament on behalf of the majority of members of the profession. This was attempted many years ago when all the major professional bodies in the UK agreed to create a "General Podiatric Council". In fact , a draft parliamentary bill was written. The Society, for reasons best known to itself, decided to pull out of the agreement. If you are a member of that body, you might like to ask them why, and what benefits have accrued to their members by their so doing.

The problem for the individual practitioner is that by de-registering without the back up of a body such as a "General Podiatric Council" NHS practice is closed as are privileges at private hospitals.

All the best

Bill

35. blinda

blinda MVP

Blow me down with a monkeys` uncle. It did. I`ll be interested to see any replies.

How about answering this, John?

Would it not be in the interests of the Alliance to have more registrants on their voluntary register? It`s not as if voluntarily de-registered Pods don`t reach the standard of care, is it? There are many who are disillusioned with the empty promises of the HCPC and would perhaps seek registration through a PSA accredited register. Hmm?

36. blinda

blinda MVP

No replies to my previous letter to the ed, but this months Pod Now has this response to the delegate assembly, "....defining functions in law could stifle the development of the profession.....if the Society pursued protection of function it would be unlikely to have the support of the HCPC.....Council is aware that some members have instigated their own campaigns on social media and have written to their MPs. It is heartening that there is this level of activism to protect the profession and the public, but Council does ask those members who have been pressing for protection of function to be aware of the possible ramifications that unilateral action may have."

Just one retort; Please provide the evidence that protection of function would stifle the development of the profession?. Without Council explicitly stating what those "ramifications" are, how can we make an informed decision on whether our "activism" could be detrimental to professional growth.

This suggestion is contrary to the clearly beneficial role that such protection has afforded other AHPs such as dentistry and Hearing Aid Dispensers (HAD). HADs provide an excellent model of a tiered profession that has already been granted protection of function by the HCPC. The tiers, or levels, of the HADs are dictated by training, with scope for advancement made possible by additional training, thus there is no restriction of progression for any practitioner on that recognised & designated portion on the HCPC register. The world of foot health could have the same benefits. This also exemplifies the role of the HCPC, who has within their remit, the ability to attach the essential protection of function, if they so choose.

37. Just like leaving the European Union should apparently "be a jump into the dark"... The future is uncertain, those who claim they have knowledge of a future uncertain are, at best, guessing. Whether we remain within or leave the European Union are both "jumps into the dark" since..... dah... the future is uncertain. Those that choose activism in this case also face a future uncertain, just like anyone who opposes such a venture. Only one way to find out...

Only thing I know... "the future needs a big kiss...."