Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Info wanted on emmigration

Discussion in 'Canada' started by LBFoot, Jan 8, 2014.

1. LBFoot

LBFoot Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi I'm a uk pod 8 years qualified. I'm thinking of working in Canada I know where I could work but I need more info on where to find jobs visa etc, how much I can expect to earn. I'd be coming on my own with my 13 year old son. Any help with finding out as much as I can and I'd be really grateful.

2. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  3. MJJ

MJJ Active Member

We have several UK trained pods in Saskatchewan and would welcome more.
    http://www.scop.ca/

4. omg 123

omg 123 Member

Hi

How do you find work?
    Is it self employed or contract / NHS type work?

God, I would love to work in Canada.

5. omg 123

omg 123 Member

do you stick to the fee schedule as a standard or do prices differ?

6. simonf

simonf Active Member

in most provinces private practice is the model you would be working in.

I guess you could try charging what you like, but in reality the rates that insurance companies agree is the rate you bill - patients would be liable for the difference between your fees and the covered amount - which unless you have a massive reputation would mean that your neighbour would get more business than you

7. Dieter Fellner

Dieter Fellner Well-Known Member

With Canada 'under-served' we had a coffee table discussion. The consensus was it isn't all that easy for a DPM to plug into the (surgical) system due to rules & regulations. All the same, I'm curious to have an insider perspective. Can the DPM work in Canada, how is surgical work organized. Is it feasible? My suspicion is, there are road bumps, since few seem to make the move.

8. simonf

simonf Active Member

Dieter,

I think it is conceivable that a DPM could work in BC and alberta, but funding is a possible issue, plugging podiatry into the the province provided healthcare in Manitoba seemed problematic when I was looking at this a few years ago, but each province is dufferent and US based education of DPMs is established in BC and AB

regards

9. Bruce McLaggan

Bruce McLaggan Active Member

10. MJJ

MJJ Active Member

Dieter, Saskatchewan has a few DPMs working here but not surgically. The framework is there but nobody has taken advantage of it. To perform surgery here you would need to register with the Saskatchewan College of Podiatrists and also get a podiatric surgery permit from the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan. The road bumps would be funding and getting ER time.