Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Groupon

Discussion in 'Practice Management' started by lottie, Nov 18, 2013.

1. lottie

lottie Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Groupon has anyone had any experience of the company? I just wondered as a
    podiatrist in my local area has advertised and is selling half price chiropody treatments, when I looked at his advert he has sold 250 of them! Can thissort of advertising pay and does this sort of marketing have any lasting benefit to a private practice.

2. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Many regulatory boards in the US have determined that this is fee splitting and illegal FYI

3. Lab Guy

Lab Guy Well-Known Member

That is probably true, David. With that aside, you have to give 50% off, and then 50% of that goes to Groupon for advertising your offer. If your normal fee for orthotics is $400 then you have to charge $200. Groupon then pays you $100 from the $200 Groupon that your patient bought.

Do you want to make just $100? Do you really want those kind of patients that are looking for the cheapest Doctor? Do you think your Groupon patients are going to respect a doctor willing to discount his services so much? Do you really think your going to get repeat business or referrals from Groupon patients? Food for thought.

Steven

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    I have no direct experience, but do the maths:

1. Spend $5000 on advertising; gain x number of new patients and $x of revenue; a certain % will become regular patients and/or refer other new business --> more $

or

2. Offer $5000 of cheap consults via Groupon/Living Social/Cudo/etc; loose money on providing those consults; you will gain x number of new patients and $x of revenue; a certain % will become regular patients and/or refer other new business --> more $

Put systems in place to test. Is it worth it?
    Do you want to be the one that offers the cheap consults --> image issues

5. seanpincus

seanpincus Member

Its illegal advertising in South Africa

6. AlanCawthorne

AlanCawthorne Member

I helped a friend of mine out get through his groupon offers, as he told then to limit the sales to 100 and they sold 200. He had to honour the sales, and barely made a profit. The patients I saw on his behalf had only purchased the treatments a they were cheap. In honesty, some had travelled further for the cheap treatments, and would have paid less in petrol by visiting a local podiatrist. I didn't see many patients who would come back on a regular basis. Also, my friend was having to delay his regulars to fit the groupon people in. I know a few podiatrists near me who have used groupon, And some think it gets lots through the clinic, but I don't feel it brings in the type of long term patient you want to attract. I saw some people who actually bought the offer because it was cheap, and didn't know what it was for! Seriously! I don't feel they work for Podiatry, as it reduces the value of the service you offer. If four podiatrists within a 10 mile radius use groupon, these people will bounce between the offers. They don't pay full price, and never will. BTW. You can exclude certain services or products from your offers, i.e. does not include biomechanical assessments or orthotics. Groupon I'd not for me as a podiatrist, but would be interested in other peoples experiences.

7. AlanCawthorne

AlanCawthorne Member

All future replies will be done via my laptop - and not my smart phone, as it seems to throw extra letters / words in randomly! Maybe a new thread regarding technology and the clinic - how much does it realistically help! :drinks

8. Jose Antonio Teatino

Jose Antonio Teatino Well-Known Member

In Spain it is illegal to offer discounts on the price of a health service.
    There is free money and you can charge little but offer no discount on the value of service.
    It is considered unfair competition and is punishable by professional associations.

9. Kara47

Kara47 Active Member

I thought it was also illegal to offer discounts in Australia. Lottie doesn't state her country of origin?

10. smellyfeet

smellyfeet Member

Don't do it. From my experience, patients on groupon deals are just that. deal patients, once off. I used to work in a clinic that offered these deals. patients came in and paid their appointments online. I at the time, worked on commission, and didn't get a cent for those appointments. horrible horrible experience. I still have nightmares! :bang:

11. Blue123

Blue123 Active Member

I understood that this form of marketing as a health professional was unacceptable. I guess as a self employed practitioner and being your own business you can indeed do what you like and charge what you like, however I believe that as stated above you will need to dramatically increase your prices in order to make this groupon deal profitable....in other words dont do it.