Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

History of Soccer boots blog

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by Cameron, May 27, 2014.

1. Cameron

Cameron Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    netizens

Its that time again when the World elite meet to battle play the beautiful game. Currently updating the History of Soccer Boots blog

http://fitba2014.blogspot.com.au/

toeslayer

2. Trevor Prior

Trevor Prior Active Member

Cameron

Really interesting blog and as detailed as ever. I saw the similar link threads below and note that you discussed the 3D cad cam boots back in 2006 (before I was a member). The boots in question were the Assasins and the stud plate was laser sintered the technique from which 3d printing has emerged.

The difference with this, compared to traditional manufacture techniques, was that the stud plate was the orthotic and thus contoured so the last was individualised.

I note at the time that Kevin referred to his visit to Nike and they certainly had the ability to use this technology although have only just produced a boot with studs manufactured in this manner.

Indeed, this technology was initially termed rapid prototyping as it was used to develop prototypes quickly. I believe we were the first (or one of the first) to use it to actually make a product. It holds great promise for orthotics but the current technology in this regard is a little crude.

The subject of the boot was raised on this forum recently and, as the technology becomes more common and accessible, the cost of production will reduce and be more feasible for a range of products.

There are lots of reasons why it has not happened as yet but the joy with the technology is the ability to vary the thickness of the material at any site so one can vary flexibility , redistribute, control etc..

You may have worked out by now that I was the 'Prior' in Prior 2 Lever and there is readily available information on the boot and I would be happy to provide any detail you wanted if you thought it worth including in your blog.

best wishes

Trevor

3. Cameron

Many Thanks Trevor and much appreciate your informed comments. I would be absolutely delighted to include a guest post from yourself on the blog.

Cheers again
    Cameron

4. Trevor Prior

Trevor Prior Active Member

5. Cameron

6. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

I have just lost a fabulous patient who played for major teams in the 1950's and 60's. When he was training, he had to wear a slipper on his dominant foot, and a football boot on his non-dominant foot. In those days the balls was made of thick leather and got very heavy and very muddy as the game progressed, so choosing to kick with a slippered foot was quite brave.