Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Mobile Hicaps Terminal, is there such a thing?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by sunshine4me74, Jul 12, 2012.

1. sunshine4me74

sunshine4me74 Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hello All,

Does anybody know if there is a mobile terminal that will process medicare and all other ins cards? The Hicaps terminal has to be plugged into a phone line, they do not have a mobile terminal. I'm aware some of the leading banks may provide mobile terminals but do they accept all payment card plans? Thanks!

2. PostMortem

PostMortem Active Member

Hi Sunshine,

I have a mobile EFTPOS machine that uses the mobile network, with the CBA I am able to choose between Medicare or HICAPS plus EFTPOS but not both. I believe that Westpac offer a terminal that does both, funnily enough it is the same terminal that CBA use, go figure!

A quick trawl through the various bank websites will give you the info you are looking for.

3. phil

phil Active Member

Hey Sunshine,

No such thing as a mobile hicaps machine. Wish there was, but there isn't.

Also, you technically need a different one for each location, as they are linked to your provider number.

4. theaussie

theaussie Active Member

I am a mobile pod- to get around the provider number issue, I was told by medicare (for EPC's) that I can use my home or postal address as the address/location for the provider number. Hope this helps.

5. JosephFrenkel

JosephFrenkel Member

Hi Sunshine,

I spoke to HICAPS re Mobile Terminal and the person said that the technology is available, but the health insurance funds are concerned about fraudulent use.

Its annoying and illogical because fradulent use can take place regardless of whether the terminal is mobile. Although, I could imagine inventive allied health professionals bringing their mobile HICAPS terminal to a party and swipping all their mates cards!:drinks

The Comm Bank rep I sopke to effectively told me I needed 2 terminals 1 for HICAPS and 1 for Medicare/EFTPOS. I also recall them being significantly more expensive compared to NAB.

Good Luck.

6. Heather J Bassett

Heather J Bassett Well-Known Member

Hi, does any one know or use the Westpac system? It did do quotes some time ago. Not sure if it still does. Is it cheaper than Hicpas as they have reduced their fees recently. There must be some serious competition for them to do this????

Cheers

7. trevor

trevor Active Member

I have just gone through this exercise and am signing up with Suncorp. They have two terminals available. A cable one with Medicare easyclaim/DVA, eftpos, credit card and their version of HICAPS called isoft and wireless terminal without HICAPS.
    Suncorp is much cheaper to run than HICAPS. (Rental, credit card fees and eftpos charges)
    And yes the health funds think allied health providers are out to get them , so no portable operation is allowed.

8. 7Pod7

7Pod7 Active Member

Trevor,

Did I see you include DVA as an terminal usage option? I am stil patiently waiting on DVA to join the rest of Medicare claiming already available. I use HICAPS currently at one of my locations.

9. trevor

trevor Active Member

7Pod7,
    Yes,
    I understand from this site that DVA can be done via a HICAPS terminal only.

We use Front Desk practice management software and medicare online.This allows us to claim EPC bulk bill, DVA and Medicare easyclaim where we bill the customer the full consult fee and then make the rebate claim for the PX.
    With the BB claim this is batched at the end of the day so if the PX has used up their 5 visits you wont be paid by Medicare. You find this out later, then you have to try and have the customer pay you :pigs: .
    If you use the easyclaim method you do not have this problem.
    Using a terminal only there is lots and lots of button pushing. the practice management software route is much quicker and easier.

With our Suncorp terminal we do not have medicare working properly yet. However this is a Medicare problem not Suncorp.
    My son, a dentist, is also having problems with Medicare, where they dont pay sometimes. This happens at random. Medicare blame HICAPS and HICAPS blame Medicare. He is out of pocket LOTS. His is a stand alone HICAPS terminal installation.

10. 7Pod7

7Pod7 Active Member

Trevor,

Thanks for the run down. I'll bravely swipe a DVA card tomorrow through my HICAPS terminal and see what happens. I'm used to doing the 12 Medicare steps without error so long as I don't get tempted to talk to the patient (to kill the silence).;)

One day I'm sure I'll get to practice mgt softwear. Work part time.

11. quirkyfoot

quirkyfoot Active Member

Hi all,

just resurrecting an old thread to see if any changes have occurred over the last couple of years. Has there been an update on a mobile HICAPS machine? Will there ever be one?

Cheers,

Paul.

12. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Hi Paul,

Commonwealth Bank and Healthpoint do a MOBILE terminal which does EFTPOS and Private Health Funds. Although it must be docked to claim private funds I am told through the internet. All EFTPOS transactions can be done mobile and wireless.

13. quirkyfoot

quirkyfoot Active Member

Thanks Paul,

Will look into this further.

Cheers,

Paul.

14. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Yes, a mobile HICAPS machine is available. I am personally using it.
    However, only certain funds will permit the claim to go through whilst the terminal is off the base station in mobile mode. NIB permits it, but several funds do not.
    Overall it has been a good experience using it, but more funds need to come on board and allow mobile functionality.

15. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Yes, a mobile HICAPS machine is available. I am personally using it.
    However, only certain funds will permit the claim to go through whilst the terminal is off the base station in mobile mode. NIB permits it, but several funds do not.
    Overall it has been a good experience using it, but more funds need to come on board and allow mobile functionality.
    If a fund does not permit mobile claiming, a message appears on the terminal screen saying "mobile claiming not supported by **** health fund, return to base station".
    And all EFTPOS and Medicare claiming/rebate is available in mobile mode.

16. andersonkchan

andersonkchan Active Member

Hi Surfboy,
    looking at being a mobile CDM homevisits pod provider :)
    would you mind telling us which financial institution you are with for your mobile HICAPs terminal?
    thanks in advance.

17. surfboy

surfboy Active Member

Hi I am with HICAPS using a mobile HICAPS terminal.

18. dyfoot

dyfoot Active Member

HICAPS is part of the NAB group, so the financial institution is NAB.

19. andersonkchan

thanks mate!

20. andersonkchan

thanks mate!