Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Nail surgery fees

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Simon Ross, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Simon Ross

Simon Ross Active Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Why do pods in PP charge such a lot of money for nail surgery when an NHS pod will be paid the same rate whatever they do?

2. brekin

brekin Active Member

I'm in the public health system and have no issues re the price private practice charge for nail surgery. It's a great procedure that has lifetime benefits.

Many more inequities in health than that. I just had an ultrasound guided cortisone injection that took two minutes and was charged $290! I will get $135 back from Medicare but almost $300 is pretty good money for two minutes work. When you look at what other health professionals are charging podiatry fees are arguably too low if anything.

Cheers
    Brett

3. Anne Stephens

Anne Stephens Member

I don't think that we charge enough! If I cost out the time involved for the procedure and redressing appointments, I can earn more by doing basic Podiatric care over the same number of appointment slots. Then there's also the higher level of clinical risk, the cost of associated CPD and emergency on call arrangements to be taken into account.
    Why don't I charge more? Because at around the £300 mark, it's already quite a high rate compared with others around the country and I want to be in a position to offer it as an option within the practice without completely pricing it out of the market.
    I hope that helps
    Anne Stephens

4. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Because it's worth it!

5. Bruce McLaggan

Bruce McLaggan Active Member

The UK taxpayer picks up the bill for the overheads in the NHS. In private practice the podiatrist has to pay for all their own overheads.

6. horseman

horseman Active Member

Fees should include the professional fee for the podiatrist and assistant, the materials costs of dressings supplied a proportion of the premises costs including rent, rates, water, gas, electricty, insurances and maintainance. Not to forget the costs of CPD, steriliser certification, electrical surveys and employer liability insurance plus waste disposal costs, waste transfer administration fees and laundry. The NHS pod is paid a salary, when you add in all the rest I would say £300 seems very low?

7. Lucy Hawkins

Lucy Hawkins Active Member

When I last checked with BUPA they were charging around £1,800. The private fee is cheep, we have costs and overheads the NHS pod never sees.

8. Pauline burrell-saward

Pauline burrell-saward Active Member

Because we don't pick up a wage every month, with paid holidays/sick pay/pension /maternity pay/training days.

we have to pay for everything and still make a living.

9. Mike Plank

Mike Plank Active Member

Is it just me or is this a ridiculous question? Simon, you obviously do not work in Private Practice or you would not be asking this. Are you angling for a pay rise?