Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Free CPD

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LindaG, Jan 11, 2015.

1. LindaG

LindaG Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi,

I have just become self-employed and as such am on a very tight budget at the moment. I have fallen behind a bit on my CPD activities, I participate on this forum and read journals/articles but that is about it and I'm not sure that this is enough for UK HCPC standards. Does anyone know of any free or cheap CPD courses available? I know Langer has a couple which I plan to do but these don't carry a lot of CPD points.

Thanks!

Linda

2. Ella Hurrell

Ella Hurrell Active Member

You can check out some of these free courses - http://www.judithbrowncpd.co.uk - a great online resource with lots of relevant content.

It is worth noting though, within their standards for registrants, the HCPC don't stipulate a number of "points" or hours that registrants have to meet. Their wording states "We do not need you to undertake a certain amount of CPD (for example, to do a number of hours or days). This is because we believe that different people will be able to dedicate different amounts of time to CPD, and also because the time spent on an activity does not necessarily reflect the learning gained from it." (from http://www.hpc-uk.org/assets/documents/10001314CPD_and_your_registration.pdf ) so don't get too hung up on meeting a certain number of points. They do stipulate that it must be from "a range" of activities though - so we do need to vary the sources and types of CPD undertaken.

Hope this helps :)

3. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

Hi

Judith's stuff is good and useful and above comments on HCPC requirements is right but they do look for your cpd to be clearly reflected in document form so worth doing things you feel you reflect and write up on.

I think the Primary Care conference is free each year and this might be a good place to go and listen up on various subjects.

http://sterlingevents.co.uk/about-pc.html

Although the HCPC do not require a set number of hours it might be worth checking what the COP might require or recommend, from their perspective, as amount of time spent on CPD.

All the best.

4. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

FREE CPD - CPD is innocent!! :D

5. Cheered me up after a crappy day when one of my favourite patients passed away.

Don't change, Dave.

This is for you Steve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztk2lvTN7ZA

6. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

So many abreviations here that it reminded me of the middle few lines in this gem from Amatuer Transplants

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  7. fayp

fayp Member

I tend to sign up for the BMJ online course apx May one year, then the year after do my CPD with them before May, that way you get two years worth of CPD for the price of one, as CPD is annual.
    They are very good and you print your own certificates and reflections. You then just need to find a first aid course to attend if you wish to keep your LA cert.
    But I do agree for those of us in part time PP, CPD is a big cost.