Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Biomechanics of Santa Claus carry a heavy sack of toys

Discussion in 'Podiatry Trivia' started by NewsBot, Dec 28, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot The Admin that posts the news.

Articles:

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    It not just the Christmas edition of the BMJ that has amusing research:

Jeopardizing Christmas: Why spoiled kids and a tight schedule could make Santa Claus fall?
    L. Donath, R. Roth, E. Lichtenstein, C. Elliot, L. Zahner, O. Faude
    Gait and Posture; Article in Press

2. rdp1210

rdp1210 Active Member

Went to the site and looked at the methodology. The text doesn't state exactly, but the picture looks like he has the sack slung over one shoulder. This would certainly pull the CoM off to one side and also move it posteriorly, both of which would markedly affect all spatial-temporal parameters. I believe that the sack needs a major redesign, and if so it could markedly decrease the millions of workman-compensation claims filed every year by department-store santas.

BTW - what child needs 20KG of toys?

Best wishes,
    Daryl

3. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Daryl, do you have children?

As a parent of two VERY active boys, 20kg is nothing. Add up the odd bike, skateboard, scooter, yo-yo or 4, helmets and wrist guards and knee guards for all things than will take skin off, 3-5 pairs of undies and socks, a few lego packs and then uno or jenga or enough board games to make the children believe that they can survive school holidays without a Nintendo or XBox, 20kg is nothing. (just saying).

But then I'll just slink out with my new years resolution being that of a Christmas Edition publication one day.

4. rdp1210

rdp1210 Active Member

I have 4 children and 6 grandchildren.
    Daryl