Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry Approved Shoe Standard www.podiatristapproved.com

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Paul Bowles, Jan 8, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    So in Australia TARGET - a well know go to store for things on the cheaper side of life, have started promoting and selling $29AUD school shoes (by comparison a very good quality pair which I personally recommend retails for approx. $120AUD)

I seen the television advertisement the other night and thought what a good idea, I wonder who is endorsing it. Today I seen a pair of these shoes and the following tag was attached:

[​IMG]

The website is privately registered out of the USA and is absolutely embarrassing considering its content and appearance.

My questions are:

1) Who really is www.podiatristapproved.com?
    2) How much damage is this doing to the public?
    3) How much damage is it ding to Podiatry?
    4) Where are the professional bodies in all of this?

Disappointing!

2. Pes Perfectus

Pes Perfectus Member

What are the shoes like, Paul? I also saw the ad but haven't gone in to check them out yet

3. Paul Bowles

They are worth every dollar of their $29 price tag pes perfectus! Would appear its not that hard to work out who owns the site (thanks Craig):

Open http://www.podiatristapproved.com/ In firefox go to: Tools > Web Developer > Page Source

Explains everything :)

4. toughspiders

toughspiders Active Member

They come with a free USB too!!! In the shape of a thong!

Flossie

5. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

DAM, l think l will give up making my school shoe range if l cant have that approval on my shoes also (HUMOR)

Paul, we just had a run in with an importer of school shoes who on their website claim to be Australian made, they are not, in fact we are one of l think 2 left doing so, l mentioned ACCC to them and the claim disappeared.

The battle to get these things changed is worth it, but sadly the BTS season will most likely be over before you can get it removed.

In reality they may only need one pod on staff to say they approve it.

As a point of interest, have you thought to ring the retailer direct and suggest their error? it might be enough to get them to react?

l wish you luck!:drinks

6. Paul Bowles

Thanks David, I'm not concerned with the shoe quality, the public can judge that. I'm more concerned with the "false" and potentially misleading insinuation that the profession of podiatry approves these shoes. The example here I discussed with AHPRA yesterday was:

Lets say I go out and start to sell a new fast food cheeseburger. 100% beef pattie, lots of salad, sauces, cheese and an egg - I'm going to call it the Healthy Burger. I have a friend who is a dietician "endorse it" because its full of salad and wholemeal bread. Then I release it and market it everywhere saying "Dietician Approved".

Is this misleading the public to think it is healthy and approved by dieticians everywhere? Yes it is. Would this ever be allowed? No.

The fact is if it IS "Podiatrist" approved then THE Podiatrist should have their name on it. I think if you do the little exercise above and see who is hosting the website (and inevitably who must own part or all of PASS then I also think there may be a direct conflict of interest.

The problem here is the way it is marketed - it is misleading. I have had a response from APodC who have stated they raised similar concerns last year with target and the owner of podiatristapproved.com

7. Boots n all

Why aren't you concerned with quality Paul? the public dont always understand quality until they have a problem, e.g sole falling off or foot injuries.

If l was a Pod l would be concerned about the quality, remember its your "brand" that has approved it, "Podiatry approved" will be taken as an overall aspect to the shoe, the shoe has been approved by Podiatrist, do you?

Brands are hard to build and easy to trash

Just went to their website, they are breaking some of their own rules

"Have your foot measured standing up."
    Well thats not going to happen at Kmart or Target any time soon

On one page....
    "Shoes should be comfortable when you first buy them, they shouldn't require a breaking in period.

On another page...
    "Wear your new shoes in gradually...... will help you to avoid blisters and make wearing your shoes a much happier experience"

Make your mind up!

8. Paul Bowles

That's the exact issue David - i didn't approve it, the profession hasn't approved it, a group or an individual business has. Even you guys should be up in arms about this right?

With regards to quality - there is a myriad of rubbish on the market, my patients are educated on how to spot it.

9. Boots n all

Whilst l feel your pain,:empathy: as l found earlier with the company that lied about being Aussie made and the continual lie made by that retailer that claim they have never met a foot they couldnt fit:boxing:, this particular subject "Podiatry approved" does not cross anything that we do, its just another shoe in the market place with all the others.

Its a cheap discount product that is not measured and fitted, l havent seen the shoe to know what the quality is like, you can send me a pair of you like, so l cant comment on quality for the moment, but its not on our radar.

Again, l do feel your pain and if you think there is anything l can do to help you with this situation let me know.

Have you rang the retailer introduced yourself and made your point and ask them to remove the tag, you might be surprised what Dr Paul Bowles can achieve on the phone:butcher:

10. Paul Bowles

Thanks David, Don't get me wrong its not just me, I posted this on my facebook page the other day and have had over 100 Australian pods contact me since. I don;t want it to sound like I am the hunter here, I am not, I am merely the one asking the questions.

The shoes I couldn't care about at all - I agree with you (and when you see them you will see) they are a cheap product aimed at the lower socio economic community. The problem I have is that they appear to be misleading the public by implying that the shoes are in someway approved by Podiatrists.

APodC are aware of it and I am sure they will take action. I doubt we will see the podiatrist approved logo around in its current form much longer.

11. Boots n all

Good on you Paul, while you are at it see what you can do about that other mob
    "Never met a foot we couldnt fit"

12. APodC

APodC Active Member

[Check4SPAM] RE: URL Attempt

The APodC's position is that generally the public interpret an approved standard as being one set and approved by an independent and credible organisation. The manufacturer then manufactures to meet that standard.

In our view, a standard established by a podiatrists in the way that this has been established is misleading.

We have asked both Target and the owners of podiatristapproved to review their advertising as we believe it's misleading. We will continue to pursue the matter over coming months if they continue to advertise in this way.

http://www.linkedin.com/company/australasian-podiatry-council

13. Paul Bowles

100% agreed - thanks APodC for following this up! Well done!

14. Boots n all

Saw them on TV last night for the first time.

You do realize that if your action is not swift it will be over before you start, the BTS season finishes Feb 4th this year(for most schools return then) and the product will be moved off display, until next year when they do it all again.

15. APodC

APodC Active Member

Thanks David. We're aware that they're likely to try and string out any action.

16. APodC

APodC Active Member

We've now been informed by the person who created the Podiatry Approved Shoe Standard that the advertising has now ceased and that they don't expect to see it used again. We'll be monitoring the situation and will take more decisive action if it reappears.

17. Paul Bowles

Its ceased because everyone is BACK to school!

18. Boots n all

l was going say that also Paul:empathy:, but thought better of it... just read my prior reply:D you know it was going to play out that way:rolleyes:

19. APodC

APodC Active Member

We agree that they likely dragged it out to get past the start of the school year. More importantly, we have indications from the creator that it will no longer be used.

20. Paul Bowles

Agreed David - but you know me I just say what the community thinks. Good to see if I "promise not to do it again" I can probably get away with anything. Sets a good old precedent doesn't it.

David to you want me to "Approve" any of your companies footwear as a Podiatrist? :bang:

21. Boots n all

Sounds good Paul, what sort of cost are we talking about here:drinks

22. thekwie

thekwie Active Member

Target: At it again

{THREADS MERGED}

I seem to remember last year, Target were advertising "podiatrist approved" school shoes, and were eventually told to pull them, as there was no evidence anywhere that any podiatrist wanted anything to do with them.
    Just walked into my local Target boutique to find that the shoes are back on the shelf, with the same dodgy tag referring people to the same dodgy website, which hasn't even been updated and still contains the same contradictions!

www.podiatristapproved.com
    ARRRGGGHH.
    :bang:

My question is this, if they were told to pull the TV ads, surely still having the swing tags on the shoes is equally an issue?

23. APodC

APodC Active Member

I've asked for an urgent response from Target as we were assured it would not be part of this years campaign.

24. Boots n all

From the 12 Jan 2013
    l tried, but l cant help myself...l told you this would happen back in 2013, tigers/target dont change their stripes for anyone.

This year the BTS season will finish Jan 28th for most, good luck.

25. Paul Bowles

Now David about that endorsement deal we began to discuss last year....... ;)

26. APodC

APodC Active Member

I’ve received an email from Target’s legal counsel today affirming that the shoes were inadvertently still on the shelf and that all reference to “podiatry approved” will be removed immediately. All stores have been sent a compliance survey to ensure they have complied with the removal request.

I think it’s important to highlight that while this may seem a small win, it demonstrates how critical it is to have a strong and united voice for the profession. Organisations can’t make claims of approval that can’t be justified and we’re pleased that Target took our concerns seriously this time around before the matter was referred to the ACCC.

27. björn

björn Active Member

And the big supermarkets assured ACCC they would play nice, and the Oil companies assured they were playing fair, real estate agents aren't under quoting, Metro are running their trains on time, jobless rate is "only 5.x percent" (because 1 hour a week is considered working !!!) and custom orthotics cure cardiovascular disease (joke).

The world is so full of BS, and until examples are made there will be a continued flow of it.

I'm sorry APOD C for my cynicism, but I'll wait for the beginning of next year where we see how apologetic Target really are.

28. APodC

APodC Active Member

Hey Bjorn,

You're allowed to be cynical. We'll keep fighting the good fight anyway.

Cheers.
    Damian.