Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Finding placement hard

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by PC_Pod, Dec 1, 2014.

1. PC_Pod

PC_Pod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all

I don't know what I hope to achieve from this post, maybe just the catharsis of getting it off my chest

I'm on placement in a community clinic right now (unsupervised for the first time) and I feel I am not coping very well. First off, I have never been very confident about my skills, and now the NHS 20mins treatment time is weighing heavily on me too

I will have a patient or two that I feel fine. maybe even good about, but then something will happen, or I take too long and I just fall apart completely inside.

I just feel I should give up.

Having a bad cold isn't helping matters much either!

:(

any tips/ advice? thanks in advance

2. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hi

It may comfort you to know that we've all been there - and that includes medics, dentists, nurses, the lot! Part of the process is to see if you can stand up to the pressure, because it gets worse when you are practicing independently. Basically grit your teeth and get on with it. If this sounds harsh, it's because the world is harsh. It will definitely help if you approach things as a challenge rather than a problem, and 'sniff the roses along the way' ie. enjoy what you can and discount that against the bad days!

Keep the faith.

Bill Liggins

3. PC_Pod

PC_Pod Member

thanks very much for your post. I went back the next day with the view to get on with it and do my best. I did eventually get more confident as the placement went on. It was tough at times but also a good experience. Some very grateful patients as well, which made it worthwhile. Your words weren't harsh at all

4. podcare

podcare Active Member

Surprised you carried on with a "bad cold". As a Podiatrist or a student, you also need to consider the health of the person you're treating if you're sick. Most employees would see that as a reasonable excuse for a sick day here in Australia. They all get 10 days paid sick leave annually on top of their 4 weeks annual holiday leave.

5. HUGHESA1

HUGHESA1 Member

Don't worry. What you are going through is perfectly normal. You are obviously very concientious and as a consequence you will actually be trying to do too much. I am assuming that your placement is with an NHS trust somewhere in the UK, but the same advice applies wherever you go.
    The main thing is to focus on what the patient is referred for i.e. what the referrer is actually asking you to do (i.e paying/commisioning you to do)and what the patient is actually complaining of, and concentrate your efforts on those aspects rather than trying to treat everything that you can see. No one will expect you to be able to match the performance of an experienced clinician, and do not be afraid to bring patients back if necessary.
    As for working with illness, the theory goes that you do not work if you present a danger of infecting your colleagues or patients especially those that are frail and at risk, however in the economic current climes the reality is somewhat different, I would recommend that you speak with your supervisor/line manger and discuss local policies. Hope you find this helpful, stick with it, simply by making this plea it is obvious that you have what it takes.
    Best wishes in your future career.