Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry Student looking to volunteer

Discussion in 'Teaching and Learning' started by future_pod, Feb 28, 2013.

1. future_pod

future_pod Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi all,

So I have made the leap of faith and decided to study Podiatry at the Uni of Newcastle after working in banking for more than 10 years. Uni will commence in a few days. As a mature age student I'm thinking of volunteering at a private or community podiatry clinic a day every week to get me feeling comfortable and settled in the podiatry environment and industry. I'm not sure what health skills i can offer them as I have essentially nil at the moment but Im hoping they will take me as Im a podiatry student. What does everyone think of this idea? Many thanks.

2. fishpod

fishpod Well-Known Member

good luck . unfortunately you have nothing to offer untill you are qualified as you are not insured have no skills and add nothing to the buisiness . somebody may take you as a clerical slave or a data input clerk.

3. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Active Member

Hey
    Dont get disheartened by earlier comment. I worked as a Podiatry Assistant at a local NHS Trust during the Summer holidays all throughout my 3 years at Uni (Although I had to apply like everyone else - it certainly helped that I went on placement with them my first year and they liked me enough to offer me the job!) I just did simple nail-cutting though and had my own clinic and I was also happy to do paperwork, sorting out files etc, as it all helped me gain experience! Some PP will also employ you on reception and as your knowledge is gained, you could sit in with Pods and learn that way.

Just a word of warning though..... don't do too much work outside Uni if you can help it as the first year is certainly full-on and those that either partied too much or worked too much very quickly fell by the wayside! You usually only get one day off each week and that is often taken up with all the reading necessary to remain on top with all that you must learn in order to progress into the 2nd year.

Good luck with your studies

Regards
    Linda

4. jb3

jb3 Member

Hi Future pod,

Am I right in thinking you must be doing your pod degree in Australia ? Good luck with the course, it can be a rewarding career - you get out what you put into it.

BW
    JBB

5. Ros Kidd

Ros Kidd Active Member

I would probably contact a large teaching Hospital say....Liverpool perhaps....and ask if you can go during holiday breaks. They are a busy crew but it is the finest Podiatry Dept in the southern hemisphere. Best of luck.
    Ros Kidd

6. Pod Shin

Pod Shin Member

Hey,

In the summer after my first year, I shadow Podiatrists at Kings College, London at the diabetes clinic. The experience was amazing as I gained insight into how diabetes can have an effect onto the foot and seeing different healthcare professionals all working together to care for the patient. I would look into your local community and hospital podiatry team and speaking to managers/team leaders about possibility of shadowing.

Good luck in your career in Podiatry,

Shin

7. future_pod

future_pod Member

Hi all,

Just letting everyone know I have successfully completed 1st year of Podiatry at Newcastle Uni, in Australia. I'm loving the course and don't mind the long hours of studying. It's so medical, feel like studying medicine to be honest. The next 2 years are going to be tough as the focus will be only on the foot. A lot of pracs and lab work. Any tips is appreciated. Happy New Year all!