Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

What is the difference?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by foot rott, Mar 23, 2014.

1. foot rott

foot rott Banned

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    once a Pod is HCPC-registered that's it. Fully accepted and accredited by our regulatory body.
    Nowadays the only route into Pod is via a Pod degree.

There is not a cat in Hell's chance of FHPs being HCPC-registered (imo).
    2014 Individual Member - Expert Witness Institute.

Email: dmholland@dunelm.org.uk

Correspondence Address: David Holland, The Nuffield Hospital, Scraptoft Lane, Leicester LE5 1HY.

Hi David
    Hope you don't mind me using this bit of one of your posts.
    Reading the thread it was in it seems some clarification could be useful.

So AW asked about the difference in Podiatrists who are registered with the HPC and if the group trained by an organisation called SMAE were the same.

I may be wrong but I think although we are HPC registered the standard of training needed to work in the nhs is a full time 3-4 years course.
    The old State Registered thing.

to be honest apart from that i don't know what the difference is?
    Not met any FHP are they the same as Foot care assistants?

Seems that anyone can get the Hpc to register them?

please enlighten me guys

Thanks Ed:D

I am up early as had tooth out on fri OUCH even had to pay for the pain!!!!!

2. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

HCPC registration is all that is needed for a Pod to work in the NHS.
    The HCPC ensure that each registrant is up to speed with training and CPD.
    If you don't believe me check with them.

Any NHS manager who chooses not to employ a Podiatrist because of their previous training is acting unfairly, and quite possibly illegally.

3. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

Hello Ed

Check with the HCPC over the 'grandfathering' clause. Basically, all the previous grads (HPC reg. or CPSM reg.), previous diplomates (CPSM reg., of which I am one, although I went on to get a degree) and all of the non CPSM reg. who were determined to be of the appropriate standard were admitted on to the HPC - now HCPC - register. In other words, they are all of a standard determined by the HCPC to be employed within the NHS. I completely agree with David. If a Trust refused to employ an HCPC registered pod on the grounds of previous education then they would be acting in a discriminatory manner and therefore unlawfully, just as they would be on the grounds of age, race, sex etc. However, such inquiries are best directed to the HCPC since anything written on these pages is an opinion only, and as such cannot be taken as accurately reflecting the HPCP legal position.

Bill Liggins

4. foot rott

foot rott Banned

thanks for the replys.

Are you guys sure? as never met anyone in the NHS who came via one of those courses.

So back to my question there is no difference?

You can study with the SMAE part time (had a look at the website) and then work in the NHS.
    seems strange to me but ""hay ho changing times and all that!:eek:
    Ed

5. Brechtae

Brechtae Welcome New Poster

Hi All,

Having just completed the FHP course with the SMAE I can tell you that the qualification does not allow you to register with the HCPC. If the only way you would be allowed to work for the NHS as a foot health practitioner is with HCPC registration, then currently the only way is via a podiatry deg. However I understand that the SMAE are working toward a conversion course that will enable FHP's to be accepted for registration with the HCPC.

I issue the industry may have in the future is that there will not be enough foot health practitioners (Podiatrists) available to work in the NHS such that they will be forced to look at other ways of providing a service. But this is just my opinion.

Regards

Antony

6. Kaleidoscope

Kaleidoscope Active Member

Foot Rott

That is NOT what everyone is saying!

Since 'grandparenting' scheme occurred years ago (which was a one off I believe?) the ONLY route into Podiatry (and therefore private and NHS) was through the 3 year Degree route. Thats (possibly) why you havent come across them.... as it was years ago.

So lots of people started off with diplomas and/or SMAE training (years ago) and then either did top-up Degree OR were grandparented onto the register.

Hope that clarifies things.

Cheers
    Linda Russell

7. foot rott

foot rott Banned

but you can still train part time with the SMAE and be hpc reg (I think) is this the same as a degree then?

8. foot rott

foot rott Banned

sorry got it wrong about smae fhp course.OOOps

what are those MSSch people I see with HPC reg?

9. blinda

blinda MVP

The first mechanism of grandparenting chiropodists was around 1938, I think. Subsequent implementations occured with the introduction of the Professions Supplementary to Medicine Act in 1960 and then again with the current HPO.

I doubt very much that will be the last.

Oh, and as I said before; I worked for the NHS as a grandparented pod, before I graduated from uni........Their requirements were that I held HPC registration and demonstrated a standard level of competence as an experienced podiatrist.

10. blinda

blinda MVP

Hi Antony (we appear to to have an influx of your namesake, of late ;)) and :welcome: to the Arena.

Thanks for providing some interesting info from your perspective.

However, I do respectfully disagree with the above. I don`t think it`s a case of not enough practitioners interested in foot-health, as there are many graduates from the 13 schools of Podiatry in the UK, annually, to fill NHS posts (along with the unregulated practitioners) - all looking for work. `They`, that is the Gov`t, are already "looking at other ways of providing a service" by employing cheaper AHP`s/assistants/FCA`s in the NHS to reduce spending.

11. W J Liggins

W J Liggins Well-Known Member

No, and no.

As suggested, if you are having problems understanding the previous, very clear posts, please check with the HCPC.

W J Liggins

12. davidh

davidh Podiatry Arena Veteran

Troll, Bill - he's gone.

13. Podess

Podess Active Member

Hello Brechtae,
    Could you give some more information about this,

because I understand that the only way for HCPC Registration is via a Podiatry Degree and I don't see any more info on the SMAE website.

Thanks

P