Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

New graduate feedback

Discussion in 'Podiatry Arena Help, Suggestions and Comments' started by fostera, Mar 5, 2012.

1. fostera

fostera Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I have just recently graduated, and have started my 1st job as a podiatrist at a private clinic.
    Although I have had lots of positive feed back, there has also been some negative which has been difficult, as in the student world of podiatry you are usually not exposed to this.
    Just wondering if others have experienced simillar? and how you learned to accept and move on from the negative feed back?

2. ackers

ackers Member

Re: new graduate

Hi Fostera,

Negative feedback is always hard to take, but will always be there whether you are a new graduate or in the job for decades.
    Sometimes people just don't like you and sometimes you didn't do as good a job as you thought you did.
    I find that after coming out of my swearing room( 5 minutes or so)
    I look at what points were brought up, discard the personal stuff, and keep hold of the technical points to do better next time, so at least that mistake is not made again.
    Always believe in your skills.
    And a good whisky after work.
    Ackers

3. twirly

twirly Well-Known Member

Hi Fostera & :welcome: to Podiatry Arena.

Negative comments are harsh. Try to put a positive slant on the comments if possible. The patient has obviously told 'you' what they were less than happy with. This is a good thing. If they tell you , you have the opportunity to fix it. If patients are unhappy with a service & fail to let the provider know then often you are the last to find out there is a problem. I talk through the proposed treatment with each patient & ask if there are any specific problems. At the end of the treatment I always ask if there is anything I may have overlooked. This gives the patient the chance to point out any oversight without being confrontational.

Very few (if any) pods will please all their patients all the time. Constructive criticism can be helpful in helping you refine your skills. You learning how to deal with it is the key to gaining confidence & not feeling inferior. You worked very hard to get where you are. Keep learning & enjoy what you do. Also worth attending regular meetings if you have a local pod' group. Always good to know others experience much the same challenges.

All the very best,

Mandy.

4. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

I found when I first started a couple of pts didn't want me to treat them again, as they felt I hadn't done a good job 1st time round. On both occasions I asked them to give me another go as I was still developing. Both agreed, and they did get a better treatment 2nd time. You have to sometimes ask the pt why, and try to address it. What University doesn't teach you is the different skin types/textures etc, which only really comes with experience.

5. mamatootsies

mamatootsies Member

Hi Fostera, & welcome!
    It's lovely to hear you care what your patients say- there's something wrong if you don't.
    My first job as an associate replaced a male podiatrist who had treated his patients for many years and had not given much notice to his patients so I was often greeted with a scowl! I always do my best with treatments and was mortified when my first patient rang my associate saying I'd not done a satisfactory treatment. I arranged a return visit the following week, and treated the missed corn and made a fuss of the patient. As Mandy wisely wrote, I then pointed out to my patients that I was a different clinician, and trained at a different School, and was getting to know over 150 new pairs of feet & their owners. I make a point of reassuring the patients I will not be offended if they point out their treatment requirements and following the review appointment my previously unhappy patient decided to rebook me regularly for the rest of the year... try to get something positive out of every experience you have. Noone's perfect. We've got a long way to go, but there's always Podiatry Arena for words of wisdom... and when feeling Low there's always the page of comments patients make to bring the smile back! Keep caring. :)

6. Tippy

Tippy Welcome New Poster

Hello.

I am a student and my feet will be in your shoes in a couple of months when I graduate.

Thank you very much for your post as I am sure there are many new pods that can appreciate what you are going through. It is also good to hear some views of very experienced people on how to work with feedback.

You must have excelled with your studies as over the last few years a huge part of my learning has been from critiques by my supervisors, other students, patients and placements. I am hoping my corneum statum is getting thicker to the negativity but remaining viable to the lesson that is imparted to me.

I am not sure if the negative feedback has been from patients or head/podiatrists. Some days it is harder than others to learn via feedback. I guess it is harder for whoever is imparting the information be it client or practitioner if they have stess on them be it work or life.

Sometimes it is you, sometimes it is them but one thing is for sure if you have only just graduated there is always something to learn. I personally hope that the learning never stops as that is what part of my inspiration for doing podiatry is in the first place.

Thanks again from a fellow soon to be grad.

7. fostera

fostera Member

Thank you to everyone for your comments and kind words:eek::eek:.

You have all highlighted some great stratagies that I am now putting into practice.

Thankyou for all your support it has made me feel a lot better about the work I am doing and has helped me not to take things personally:eek:.

8. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

There is nothing worse than getting negative comment.

It is all too easy to make excuses such as "the patient was a tool anyway"

However, there will seldom be no reason for the criticism and the most important thing that you can do is to learn from it. I like the suggestion of meeting with the patient to discuss issues.

Some of my most loyal patients are ones who I have had trouble with initially so don't give up on them.

Good luck

9. LSHutch

LSHutch Member

Foresta,
    I'm in a similar position having graduated last year and have been in a private clinic for a bit over three months.

I've had a few pts not say anything to me, only to find out that they've booked with one of our other pods at reception for whatever reason. I have found that the majority of these cases have been that the pt has been to one of the other pods before and that my treatment is not identical. Generally there is nothing wrong with what I've done, it's just not what they're used to.

I've even had one pt tell me that I couldn't have removed her HD entirely because it wasn't bleeding! Sometimes previous experiences are the greatest factor to whether they see you in a positive light.

All the best!

10. beekez

beekez Active Member

Hi fostera,

There is some great advice there already. In my experience most issues I have had or my colleagues have had generrally is in regard to communication breakdown. Sometimes it is the patient sometimes the practitioner, i like to cover the proposed treatment thoroughly so the patient is well informed. The few times when I have had negative comments has generally been when running late or under pressure and this has been lacking the patient may have a different expectation. Like twirly I always ask if there is something I have overlooked and always advise the patient to contact me if it does not respond as predicted or they are not satisfied, sometimes you don't always get it perfect but if the patient feels comfortable to tell you, you can then fix it, if they walk out the door and don;t come back they tell everyone of their negative experience.

Good luck with it!

11. Atlas

Atlas Well-Known Member

There should be a hint of tough-love in the university scenario IMO. Learning is about preparing you for the peaks and troughs of life.

One analogy is parenting. In the "old" days, it was sufficient to get the wooden stick out and give your kid a whack for over-stepping a line. That is an anachronism, as "we" have become smarter, more civilised and full of psychobabble.:sinking: Positive reinforcement etc. etc.... This approach is now evident in most homes, and schools. But, when I was young, there was an element of 'fear' and respect toward teachers for instance. These days, when a rogue student doesn't fear a teacher, it's game over.

One of my first mentors would bluntly reply "that is crap" when commenting about a physio technique that I was administering. Somehow, I took it easily because I knew he wasn't stepping up at the expense of stepping on someone.

You admitted to getting a lot of positive feedback as well as the odd curveball of criticism. Sounds like a fair mix from afar.

The interesting test is to see how the giver (of criticism) accepts criticism etc....

Ron Bateman
    Physiotherapist (Masters) & Podiatrist

12. Peter

Peter Well-Known Member

This has been a refreshing thread. The opening poster will be all right in the long run. Any newbie in this field who asks the question they did, is showing consideration to themselves as a professional practitioner, and the the patients/customers/clients etc they treat. Criticism is levelled at everybody in health care, knowing you did the best you could will give you a restful nights sleep. I dropped a clanger once when working at Catterick Garrison, but had to swallow my pride, inform the Unit Medical Officer and the pt themself. All ended well, but I learned if its my mistake, I have to fix it myself. Thats how we learn once away from University

13. Disgruntled pod

Disgruntled pod Active Member

Communication is essential in patient:practitioner relations.

With VPs, I am realistic from minute 1. I tell them the truth and always quote what Ivan Bristow told colleagues of mine on a dermatology course.

I have heard of one chiropodist in Hackney being rubbish. You know why: yes, you're correct, they did not give a footbath and nice mosituriser at the end. Patients perceptions for you. Ridiculous and petty!

Whenever you hear that someone was not very good, ask the EXACT reason why they were not.

I once heard of a GP who was very good because he drove a very expensive car, wore immaculate suits, always straightened his suit before he entered the patient's house, and always said, "don't worry Mrs. Jones, Dr. X will make you better." the pateints thought he was a really good/fantastic GP with an excellent bedside manner. Funny that, except for very basic stuff, his colleagues thought that his diagnostic skills were basic, and his treatment plans were not much better!

14. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

I often tell my new patients that their feedback is necessary for me to best help them. If something isn't working for them, I need to know so I can do better next time. If I've missed something, speak up. I'm not perfect and clinic schedules get hectic. Good chart notes are essential, if you don't list the lesions you are more apt to miss one second time around. And also notice when one has "gone missing" woo hoo! Podiatry works!

Just remember you are not the person who has to live in those feet for the next 4-6-8 weeks, they are. I try to do every job as I would want it done if I lived with the feet attached to me, and generally get much more positive feedback than negative. And more of the "hard to treat" multiple corns tend to switch to my schedule, the easy ones tend to be loyal to their first treating practitioner.

15. carolethecatlover

carolethecatlover Active Member

Are youkidding? You never got negative feedback at uni? I got nothing but, not to mention the sarky remarks from the younger students!!!!
    However, in work, I only get good feedback.
    What uni did you go to?