Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Podiatry or Occupational Therapy?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by slogan69, Jul 2, 2014.

1. slogan69

slogan69 Welcome New Poster

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Hi, I am having a real dilemma over my career decision. I am in my early 40's and through family circumstances have not had the chance to retrain until now. I have been planning since last year to undertake the BSc Podiatry but in the past had also considered OT. However, I have become increasingly worried that I will spend 4 years on my podiatry degree and the employment situation is not good and I will be back to square one financially. Whereas OT as a postgrad is only 2 years but a lot of money in tuition fees but the employment opportunities are much healthier. Anyone else had a dilemma before going into podiatry because of the worry about job prospects, especially in the NHS?

2. cmatt

cmatt Member

Both OT and Podiatry should be NHS funded (I think?) courses so the tuition fees shouldn't be the deciding factor.

I'm not sure that the reported job shortages are as bad as people would make out- though it seems to vary regionally. I know about half of my year have found jobs now, and we graduate officially next week. Some of them have band NHS posts, some are due to start as associates in Private Practices, though a few people are setting up on their own.

Maybe try and gain some work experience in both areas to help with your decision (especially if you can build links with local trusts or private practitioners- making yourself known to them early can only help you in a few years when you start looking for jobs).

3. slogan69

slogan69 Welcome New Poster

Thank you for your reply. Can I ask what part of the country you are in as those sound like good employment numbers from your course. Could you also tell me if many of the students who found jobs were mature students. The reason I have the difference in funding is that the OT course is postgrad and you can become qualified in 2 years but there is no funding at postgrad level.

4. cmatt

cmatt Member

Ah that makes sense. I'm in the South of England. Over half of the students on the course are mature students, and of the students that have found jobs already its pretty even between the mature students and those that started at 18.

5. rosherville

rosherville Active Member

These two professions require different aptitudes, without knowing you it`s impossible to advise what you`d be comfortable doing.

Hopefully you`ll get a chance to observe both and then, after a few days, it should be clear to you which you want; if it`s not I`d look for something else !

Regards