Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Request for Ability to Delete Contributions from Certain Posters on Podiatry Arena

Discussion in 'Podiatry Arena Help, Suggestions and Comments' started by Kevin Kirby, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Craig and Other Podiatry Arena Moderators:

I, for one, am tired of reading postings from certain individuals here on Podiatry Arena who seem to delight in trying to elevate their own status by degrading the contributions of other posters or by continually making idiotic comments regarding barefoot running.

Because of this, I would like to request that each member of Podiatry Arena be given a "Delete Contributions from Certain Posters" button that would give each one of us the option of deleting all the postings from certain individuals so that:

1) we are never notified when they post on Podiatry Arena, and,
    2) their postings are never seen on our computers when we log onto Podiatry Arena.

In addition, I would like to have a new list made for the opening page of Podiatry Arena that lists the names of those Podiatry Arena posters who have been most chosen by other Podiatry Arena members to have all of their contributions deleted. This list would put the poster that has had the most requests to have all their contributions deleted from Podiatry Arena at the top and would have the top of these individuals listed. A list such as this will send a very clear message to these annoying individuals that their negative or idiotic contributions are destroying the otherwise friendly, intelligent and cordial discussions we have here on Podiatry Arena.

What do others think about this idea?

2. Boots n all

Boots n all Well-Known Member

KK said
    "1) we are never notified when they post on Podiatry Arena, and,
    2) their postings are never seen on our computers when we log onto Podiatry Arena."

Problem with this is when others reply to the "poster deleted" that you cant see(option 2) you may think the next poster is having a go at you and not the "poster deleted"

KK said
    "the opening page of Podiatry Arena that lists the names of those Podiatry Arena posters who have been most chosen by other Podiatry Arena members to have all of their contributions deleted."

And this one maybe seen as bullying, also if enough "Barefoot zealots" got together, they could get your name on that list also, its open to abuse.

It sounds like you are really p1ssed at the moment KK, just ignore them

3. Hello Kevin et al;

I certainly agree with the drift of what you say - there are some recent posters who seem to take delight in dengrating the discussion, which is a great shame as it spoils what could be one of the most valuable academic resources for fututre generations of podiatrists all over the world. I cannot think of anything worthwhile that Shavelson, Rothbart et al., have brought to the various topics they have debated - other than a curious insight into various personality disorders - more worthwhile to the student of psychiatry than podiatry.

I would have thought the rules on posting were adequate enough to deal with the ordure that smears some debates - but I suspect that editing the forum has almost become a full-time thankless job in itself. I don't envy Craig and the rest of the moderators in the slightest. I guess the danger is that people will simply drift away and find another forum where discussion can take place on a relatively intellectual and professional basis, politely and respectfully. Regrettably, I feel the need to endure such behaviour less and less these days - the primary reason my contributions have diminished in the past year.

A delete button would help - a decade without internet connection in Alcatraz woluld be better.

All the best

Mark

4. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

This is a very rough calculation, but the top 15 posters this year make up 40% of all the posts going on podiatry arena compared to the other 85 who make up the other 60%

Perhaps simply ignoring(neither positive nor negative comments being made) anything by the particular contributors might make them less inclined to be excessively combative/self promoting/zeolots.

I am also losing interest in certain threads which I would have otherwise enjoyed following and I think it is a shame really as it devalues this brilliant learning resource if the good commentary is constantly diluted by pointless bickering

Robin

5. I actually have come to the thinking that it is ignoring these individuals which has created the problems we face today.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Ignoring has not changed the situation for the better. All that it has achieved is to allow their frankly lunatic ramblings to go unchallenged. It might well be time to start pointing out the flaws in their logic and arguments once more. If only I could be arsed....

It requires a concerted effort on all parts, and I have been as guilty as the next in allowing Eric to carry the torch of sanity on his own for too long. I'll take a look at the posts where my name has been used recently and over the next day or two I'll respond as I think is appropriate. I sincerely believe that others should do the same.

However, I won't be responding to the private message that Dennis Shavelson sent to me a couple of days ago.

6. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Simon,

I don't think that you exposing the flaws in the posters to whom we are referring will have the desired effect. I cannot count how many times I have seen someone ask these people to validate their arguments and the thread spirals into tit for tat arguments that take threads well away from where they started.

I might be in the minority but is the deviation away from the thread which is tiresome. I'm all up for a good argument and a bit of banter/slanging, but not in the threads in which they appear. It is this that I don't think can be regulated. Every thread turns into a discussion as to why one paradigm over another is more relevant(or worse)

7. Which is why I stopped responding- my questions were unanswered, the logic was flawed and the product promotion was shameless. I think then, it might be time to look elsewhere and let the lunatics run the asylum.

8. Ian Linane

Ian Linane Well-Known Member

I have for a good while tended to be selective who I read in any given thread. It works for me.

Those who contribute to a thread, and are in the ilk of Dennis etc, are skipped and ignored, primarily because their responses can tend to lead to responses and counter responses that often stray away from the thread.

I don't know that another forum is the answer, especially as there is a wealth of information on this one that can be mined and further contributed to by the good minds on here as Mark has indicated (besides which I might not be allowed on another one).

If someone wants to disagree with Kevin K, Simon S, Robeer etc that's fine, indeed welcomed by them and others I'm sure, but when such a person shows no sign of reasonable change of opinion or fails to support their own adequately and harks back to their own way is definitive I mentally place them in a folder and skip their responses in threads

Just my way of dealing with it.

9. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Si ,KK , Robin et al,

These tossers are Trolls nothing more, nothing less with the sole purpose of disrupting this forum IMO.
    There are two answers -

1,Moderate the posts out
    or
    2, All Pod A posters dont respond, just ignore the posts or a combination of the two.

I agree these people have created a disinterest with many of us which is a shame but I dont believe in walking away from problems....

Perhaps thats just me :rolleyes:
    cheers
    D;)

10. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

Ok Si, You win :bang:

Just looked at it seen "who's away with the fairy's" as per usual :mad:

Yep agreed just destroying the Arena.
    Cheers
    D;)

11. I've been away with the fairies for years Del, just tired of a tool ruining my fairy time. I used to enjoy this place. I tried to "take the higher ground" because people told me `I should. **** 'em they're idiots...

12. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

I give lessons in away with the fairies Si, its my age :wacko: but I'm still around to tell the tale.
    We both know I have been at war on here many times over the years and have won and lost many an argument. The one thing that has taught me is to mellow out and remember "its just a forum dear" so chill to that level, walk away recharge the batteries and come back refreshed to take on those that disrupt for their own ends.

Or

Just tell em to Fcoff and done with it :D

Cheer up mate all is not lost :cool:

Many of us watch in awe and are educated in the process, never lose sight of that.

Thank you:drinks

Cheers my friend
    D;)

13. I think there is a very simple solution to all this.

I think Dennis, Brian, the barefoot posse and the rest all make some very interesting arguments. Valuable too, because they challenge us to think WHY we believe what we believe. They've been some of my favourite threads.

Thats said, when they pop up in every damn thread, whether relevant or not, its undeniably annoying!

So my suggestion would be to tighten up on the moderation in terms of keeping things on topic and relevant. If Dennis wants to start a thread on FFT, then good luck! Nothing wrong with that. When Dennis pitches in to a thread on foot reading with "yeah but at least you read it which is more than you did for FFT" then thats an off topic and should be deleted.

Same with barefoot running. If its a thread about barefoot running, go nuts. If its a thread about something else that someone is trying to divert INTO a barefoot running thread, then wipe it.

That way, people who want to discuss these things can, and those who don't won't have it pushed at them. Keeps the infomercials away from the sensible debates.

That and keeping this a thread for foot health PROFESSIONALS, not hobbyists.

14. I still want a button where I can delete all of Dennis Shavelson's postings on Podiatry Arena so I never have to read his drivel again. That would make me extremely happy.

15. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Here you go Kevin

Attached Files:

16. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

I already broke my new rule of ignoring the cognitively deficient because I just cannot look in the other direction when presented with such absolute bull puckey. Kevin is too polite, if I had my way we'd slaughter one diseased animal to protect the herd.

17. I must have reduced my posting and reading on here by 80 %

as is well know as I said this a few weeks ago and it has been quoted

Barefoot

and Dennis have taken over.

here is one solution a barefoot sub forum

the 2nd is not that simple

we have an ignore button but that does nothing to stop the thread from being railroaded.

deleting the posts will not have any different effect.

And Del has suggested more Moderation - but then that needs to be across the board, and if I start an NHS thread - well we all know how that would end up.

it would also make this place quite boring - I love a tune in the middle of a thread or a little banter. Then everone gets upset with over moderation and free speech

the solution I see and it depends on the program Craig uses for the forum, but I know it exists.

If a poster is trolling they can be put under moderation where all posts must be moderated before seen by the forum.

It works very well on another forum I moderate on ( not much social life me ), but it takes a team

at the moment

we have Admin
    Admin 2
    2 Mods

but in reality we have one 1 person who does everything

just my 2 cents

18. David Smith

David Smith Well-Known Member

I think free speech is a rule of thumb that should be jealously guarded.

'A Book of French Quotations' noted a letter to M. le Riche (February 6, 1770) in which Voltaire is quoted as saying: "Monsieur l'abbé, I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write"

We have a natural right to make use of our pens as of our tongue, at our peril, risk and hazard. ~Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique, 1764

The peculiar evil of silencing the expression of an opinion is, that it is robbing the human race; posterity as well as the existing generation; those who dissent from the opinion, still more than those who hold it. If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth: if wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error. ~John Stuart Mill, On Liberty, 1859

Dave Smith

19. I have no problem whatsoever with Dennis posting here. Nor ed, nor Brian. So long as it's in relevant threads on relevant topics. Let's not become what some accuse us of being!

20. RobinP

RobinP Well-Known Member

Robert, I agree completely with the above and I do think we risk being accused of being closed minded to new ideas

However, I think the situation with Dennis is more difficult in that he believes(rightly or wrongly) that his particular way of classifying.....well everything it seems.....is relevant to any discussion with regards to biomechanics.

So desperate is he to try and have his theory of "Centring" accepted by the podiatric community as a whole that he continually provides a foot typing approach to anything under biomechanical discussion. As a member of this forum this is his right. However, threads where this is brought up rapidly descend into the reopening of arguments with regards to the validity of foot typing and what Foot Centring Theory actually is.

As it happens, I have similar difficulties with a lot of what Paul Coneely writes. I don't know Paul, but I know that he is a well respected practitioner and many people have benefitted greatly from his teachings(myself included)

However, much of what he says is beyond my understanding. His viewpoints are regularly contradictory to the general consensus and his treatment methodology is different to how many of us think. But, I don't see the same thing happening to Paul as happens with Dennis

I'm not sure what the solution is but there is clearly some strong feeling about this.

Robin

PS - Paul this is not in any way a criticism of anything that you write on this forum, it is simply to demonstrate that you provide similarly less conventional solutions to problems/discussions that make this the valuable resource that it is, BUT without causing threads to spiral into name calling and slanging

21. David:

Can't agree with you here in all cases. If someone yelled "Fire" in a crowded auditorium, should we stifle their ability to speak due to your wanting to give everyone "free speech"? If someone called another person dirty, disgusting, obscene names in front of their children, should this also be allowed since we should give everyone "free speech"?

No. Free speech is an ideal that has many exceptions, including what goes one here on this academic website we call Podiatry Arena.

This is an academic forum meant to discuss issues relating to podiatry. The owners of this forum have the right to edit or censor or even kick people out of their forum if they feel it is detracting from the goal of their forum.

I like Mike Weber's idea that certain people have abused their right to post on this forum since their incessant arguments are turning people away from wanting to contribute to the forum due to their inability to have a civilized discussion. These certain people should have all their posts screened and if they can't stay on topic and continue to self-promote their trademarked and patented products by making straw man arguments against many of us, then these posts should never see the light of day, or the poster should be banned.

Otherwise, I will find another forum to contribute to that is more tightly moderated so I don't have to deal with the Trolls of Podiatry. I'm getting too old for their BS.

22. DTT

DTT Well-Known Member

I have to say that I think this is getting out of hand so can I suggest we ALL take a step back from this subject and cool off for a while ??

I see no sense in destroying what has taken years to build because of a few idiots that ruffle feathers or dent ego's.

Trolls are on all forums and I can say from experience will, once they have seen to cause the desired irritation, follow and carry on wherever you go.

Our enjoyment and this learning medium should not be lost to them so please....

All together Deep Breath and retire for a while till you have recharged the batteries. please.:drinks
    Cheers
    Derek;)

23. Dave and Colleagues:

I thought of a better analogy why "free speech" is an ideal concept but not tolerated in an academic environment.

Imagine a large classroom of 200 students listening to a lecturer trying to explain a difficult physics concept for an hour. During this hour lecture, one student out of the 200 repeatedly asks questions of the lecturer which have little to do with the lecture subject but is more done either because he is ignorant or is badly wanting attention of his own. As a result of the constant interruptions from this one student, not only does the lecturer become frustrated but also the students who are earnestly trying to learn the subject become annoyed and tune out the lecturer and cease learning.

But wait, "free speech is a rule of thumb that should be jealously guarded". So we should allow this student to have free speech during a lecture at the expense of the multitudes who are suffering as a result of his repeated inane questions during the course of the lecture? Of course not.

Just as in a crowded classroom, on an academic website such as Podiatry Arena, a single person who is disruptive can negatively affect the learning environment so drastically that neither the teachers nor the students feel as it is worth their time to continue on teaching/learning in that disruptive academic environment. I am very close to that point of not wanting to continue on if certain individuals are going to be allowed to continually disrupt this wonderful academic environment at the expense of all others on this forum.....all for the cause of "free speech".

This nonsense simply must stop.

24. David Wedemeyer

David Wedemeyer Well-Known Member

Beautifully stated Kevin. Free speech is one thing but habitually disruptive, obtuse and irrational arguments aren't covered under free speech. They annoy everyone equally at some point, I believe the word is harassment? We all have a right to peace as much as other have a right to free speech I feel. Unfortunately, the internet provides a medium for the socially disabled to frustrate the masses. Before someone says "you can just change the channel" that is the greatest fear of many of us I bet? War of attrition?

25. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

I am hearing all the comments and will take them on board and continue to monitor the situation.

BTW, the whole concept of "free speech" is generally a constitutional or implied right of citizens to be protected from the government. Podiatry Arena is not the government and is a private organization, so freedom of speech does not apply.

26. David Smith

Kevin

Obviously I agree that being disruptive is not good and that is why we have a moderator. Clearly our moderator(s) does not agree that Dennis constitutes a disruptive influence otherwise he would have deleted or banned the offender.
    It would seem to me that the moderator(s) does have a rule of thumb regarding what can and cannot be said on this forum and are careful not to be over zealous.

We can ban someone here but then we will have no access or idea of what theories they are putting forward and no influence or input or ability to rebuke or rebut the views put forward. So on some other site their views may go unchallenged and so gain a strong following that is difficult to break.

Regards Dave

27. David Smith

Kevin

Personally I don't like Dennis's crazy, illogical, badly written, ill thought contributions and so for that and other reasons nowadays I try not to engage with him. I think he is well enough discredited by his own words and I don't see people lining up for advice on biomechanics from him on this forum, whereas they/ we/ me included are always pleased to get good sound advice from yourself and other distinguished posters here. We, most of us, are able to tell the dross from the gold nuggets, even at this distance, and we know who to get those nuggets from.

Cheers Dave

28. SarahR

SarahR Active Member

I am tired of the people who try and make their "discovery" or method the preferred and accepted way of treating patients. It is quite off putting and I wonder if their patients actively roll their eyes during the pitch. I have seen it before, however the clinician tends not to notice as they are wrapped up in their delusions.
    I thoroughly appreciate the efforts of those who teach theories and concepts that are actually useful clinically and work in the real world. These mature published authors don't grandstand or denegrate the ideas of others and aren't out to be the latest "celebrity" podiatrist, but simply post to help us figure out what will work for our patients based on their research and experience without having to learn it the hard way too.

We can all tell the difference when reading, and I do roll my eyes when I see these posts. It would be nice though labour intensive to have admin pre-read their posts, screening out the crud that could hijack the thread. Or if the behaviour continues, temporary vs permanent ban on postings?

29. Sarah:

Great posting! Excellent!!!:good::drinks

30. David:

I don't worry in the slightest about the Podiatry Trolls having enough influence elsewhere to "gain a strong following that is difficult to break". As someone who has devoted countless hours on Podiatry Arena trying to teach very important concepts to podiatric professionals, I find that my main frustration is when our very good, educational threads are hijacked and sidetracked by these Podiatry Trolls so that teaching and learning cease to occur and, as a result, lurkers quit viewing the threads because of the constant arguments. This makes the contributors to Podiatry Arena not only less likely to use their valuable time to post a message, but also makes the lurkers less likely to visit this great website to learn.

I know that we are on the same page, David, but sometimes, in order to benefit the vast majority of members of an academic website for medical professionals such as Podiatry Arena, a few individuals may have to be "shown the door" to voice their opinions and marketing of their products elsewhere or have all their postings prescreened before publication. In this fashion, Podiatry Arena can continue to be a valuable academic resource for the podiatric profession that is a pleasure to visit, rather than a rabble of arguments with little to no educational value.

31. CorneHaast

CorneHaast Member

O.K. I can agree with that, BUT would a lot of you also stop with that "old boys" off-topic talking. It's so annoying. I think this forum is very interesting, but keep it for what it's ment for. Thanks in advance.

32. madmacaw

madmacaw Member

I very rarely join in any of the threads on here as I simply do not feel that I have the experience to do so. However, that lack of experience does not stop me from reading what others write. There are a few on here who blatantly "like the sound of their own voice" and will not listen to or answer others who challenge them :wacko:. Personally, I think that they are idiots and so I simply skip their postings. Deleting them could potentially cause further complications in following a thread.

How about instead of deleting a user, adding an option similar to the "thanks" button which could be a simple "thumbs down" tag to show immediate displeasure :hammer: to the poster in that particular instance? This could be then backed up with a reply to the thread or not.

Please don't shoot me down - just a thought.

33. I like that thought

34. blinda

blinda MVP

A 'slap!' button. Cool. Reminds me of a conference call between some members here a few years back.

35. I think if you are going to give a thumbs down, you should have to reply giving reason why.

36. We don't for thanks...

37. madmacaw

madmacaw Member

As I said, if you wish to reply you can.

IMO, some people on here are so funny that I snort Coca-Cola down my nose, whilst others blatantly are stroking their own egos and need a smack - either with a written dressing down or with a "thumbs-down" button for when words are not worth the effort or they are too pig ignorant to take on board what others are actually saying and you feel that you are :deadhorse:!

38. Tkemp

Tkemp Active Member

I personally love the "old boys" banter.
    :drinks