Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

Star Wars: Episode VII

Discussion in 'Break Room' started by BEN-HUR, Apr 30, 2014.

1. BEN-HUR

BEN-HUR Well-Known Member

Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    I'm not aware of a Star Wars thread. There have recently been news releases regarding Star Wars: Episode VII... so here it is. This will be a much anticipated film... being the 3rd & last trilogy (Episodes VII, VIII, IX).

The cast details have been announced - somewhat... details here: Star Wars Cast Announced -

I haven't been casted :mad:... as yet :rolleyes:... & thus get the opportunity to act alongside one of my favourite actors - R2-D2.

There is even a Wikipedia link for Star Wars: Episode VII: Star Wars Episode VII Wiki.

The above link is quite detailed & will no doubt be a good source of info over the next 18 months.

[​IMG]

2. Paul Bowles

Paul Bowles Well-Known Member

Must. Contain. Star Wars. Nerd. Explosion!!!!!!

On a more interesting note - there is still ONE lead female to be announced as cast - i'm hearing it is Jennifer Lawrence - who was in London during the table read this week.... Time will tell!

3. BEN-HUR

Well the mock trailers have already surfaced for Episode VII. The following is probably the more creative of the bunch (albeit, footage taken from a few sources)...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2016
  4. Orthican

Orthican Active Member

As someone who went to the original 1977 Star Wars theatre release 11 times I would say that I too am awaiting this new trilogy. I only wish I had bought two of each of the toys from then instead of one and kept the original toys in their packaging. Particularly the jawa. Who knew?

5. Tina Pilna

Tina Pilna Active Member

My parents certainly didn't! I had a Princess Leia, while my brother had all the others. If still carded, it's worth a fortune now!

6. BEN-HUR

I was only 6 when Star Wars (A New Hope) came out. I still remember sitting in the cinema (in 1977) for another movie when I saw the trailer to Star Wars - I was blown away :eek: - the Stormtroopers, the Lightsabres, laser guns etc... I turned to mum & asked... "can I go & see that"... "no" was the reply. Can't even remember the movie I saw - but remembered the Star Wars trailer. I don't know for sure if the following trailer was the one we got in Australia... but looking at it now, I can now understand why mum wouldn't allow a 6 year old to see it (the trailer doesn't really capture the spirit of the movie)...

When Empire Strikes Back came out, it fortunately coincided with my birthday. The family got in the Ford Falcon (aka Millennium Falcon ;)) & drove to the cinema. About 2 blocks away there was this line of people on the footpath. We thought, that's odd, what's the line for... the line continued on around the corner & into the cinema... for tickets for Empire! Needless to say, tickets were sold out :empathy:... & we saw some movie about a man & a boy lost in the Australian bush.

When Return of the Jedi came out, the local cinema (in its wisdom) decided to have a Star Wars marathon. They played A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back & Return of the Jedi... back to back :rolleyes: .

I had most of the figurines. I remember the Jawa with its cloth coat. I kept the figurines in 2 shoe boxes. It must have been about the mid 1990's when I realised that the original figurines were attracting some big money - particularly in its original packaging. I asked mum where were the shoe boxes with the Star Wars figurines... she had given them away :mad:. I doubt I would have sold them - but still!... Spaceballs noted other creative activities...

Fortunately I had some figurines stored in other areas (in X-Wing, Snowspeeder & TIE-Fighter models) i.e. Luke in pilot gear, Han Solo in Hoth gear, TIE Fighter pilot, Stormtroopers, Yoda.

I still have a 20" Millennium Falcon model replica (with lights) unmade (in its 1979 box)... which has to be worth a bit now.

That's one figurine I didn't get - Princess Leia. I was a young boy at the time... I just felt uncomfortable buying what really was a girl doll :eek: to me at the time. That said, by the time Return of the Jedi came around, Leia had what was an unusual affect on me - particularly in the Jabba the Hutt slave costume.

However, I do have quite a lot of Star Wars bubble gum cards (in good condition, with a hint of bubble gum smell)... from the first trilogy (they bring back memories). Not sure how much these would be worth now.

7. BEN-HUR

8. Paul Bowles

9. BEN-HUR

10. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

I wonder if luke starwalker needs orthotics?

11. BEN-HUR

The title of the upcoming 7th Star Wars instalment is:

The Force Awakens

Disney reveals Star Wars Episode VII title:

12. BEN-HUR

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - official trailer:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer - a classic recipe trailed subliminally across the taste buds:

Star Wars: The Force Awakens Official Teaser:

Well the narration is a bit corny... but the X-Wings (which look the same 30 years on) flying over the water looks great... & that 3 directional Light Sabre looks intriguing... then you have the Millennium Falcon - still flying!!!

Then there's this trailer... which looks official...

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Black Friday Trailer 2015:

13. Paul Bowles

That second video is fake......alot of the content is from the video game trailers for Destiny

14. BEN-HUR

Thanks Paul. Some of those mock trailers are pretty impressive... with the aged Harrison Ford & Max Von Sydow together (in relative dialogue) I thought it could have been the real deal :eek:.

I must keep in mind, the Star Wars fan base would have their fair share of techo geeks who would be quite capable of pulling such videos off :cool:. After all, we're not talking about ummmm... the Twilight fan base ;).

[Note: not referring to The Twilight Zone (that's really cool - particularly the '60's original) - but that vampire saga]

15. Paul Bowles

The parts with Harrison in the fake video are from Enders Game. I would be pretty sure we wont see much of the original three cast (Ford, Fischer or Hamill) until the very last trailer before it hits theaters, probably October next year. There should also be a short trailer around April/may next year id imagine, probably attached to the Avengers Sequel. I'm hearing from sources in London that be prepared for a few surprises in the mix.....possibly Bernard Cumberbatch, Jennifer Lawrence, Daniel Craig and Billy Dee Williams (Lando himself)

16. BEN-HUR

- Carrie Fisher appears to be concerned (princess -> drama queen :boohoo:)...

Carrie Fisher thinks 'Star Wars' is cursed (link)

Fingers crossed R2D2 remains safe.
    Anyway, Ford should be recovered by the December release.

- Details of the second Star Wars VII trailer...

Star Wars 7 Trailer: How Han Solo And Luke Skywalker Will Be Revealed (link)

17. BEN-HUR

Star Wars VIII is due for release on 26 May 2017 - 40 years & a day after Star Wars: A New Hope (episode IV) was released in 1977.

There will also be spin-off (standalone) movies from the Star Wars Trilogies, the first one is called 'Rogue One'... which is rumoured to be released December 16 2016.

Details here: Star Wars Episode 8 details announced.

Star Wars IX is scheduled for release in 2019... with the second standalone film rumoured to hit theatres in between in 2018.

As for Star Wars VII... production appears to be good according to Disney CEO Bob Iger - Bob Iger: 'The Force Awakens' Will Be "Worth The Wait"...

I've been reluctant to post potential Star Wars spoilers... but the following is on episode VII opening scenes... just to whet the appetite (not a serious "spoiler" but still)...

Note: all potential spoilers will be marked as such with warning (this can be a serious issue :butcher: - probably will be the first & last anyway)...

***Spoiler alert - don't read further or click on link to remain in the dark :cool:
    Click on link (here) to read the remaining...

18. BEN-HUR

The second Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens trailer has now been released...

Looks impressive...

19. BEN-HUR

20. BEN-HUR

Some people take their Star Wars faarr tooo seriously...

But hey, there's no harm in that (at least, I hope not :empathy:).

21. BEN-HUR

Time for another short break in the Star Wars universe (I need a bit of that reality :rolleyes:)...

JJ Abrams Swears 'Midi-Chlorians' is Never Uttered in 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'...

Disney Execs suggest lowering expectations for Star Wars: The Force Awakens internationally...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
  22. BEN-HUR

The third Star Wars: The Force Awakens Trailer...

23. BEN-HUR

With the opening getting close now, there is plenty of material around involving spoilers... particularly in relation to Luke Skywalker's involvement in Episode 7... as interesting that is (particularly one video) I don't want to post such material here due to potential (if true) spoiler content (best I didn't see it myself). Anyway, the following is a combination of trailers... with footage/scenes I've not seen... yet no spoiler material...

24. BEN-HUR

'The Force Awakens' receives the following rating thus far (97%).... http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2015/12/the-force-awakens-receives-97-fresh.html?m=1.
    I personally found the storyline was a bit odd, the acting was a bit odd (now "odd" doesn't mean bad by any means). It was visually spectacular (which is what you'd expect)... & worth seeing more than once or twice. 'The Force Awakens' is better than the prequel trilogy (1, 2 & 3)... but doesn't quite have the same spirit as the original trilogy, particularly 'A New Hope' (4) & 'The Empire Strikes Back' (5)... but that's my personal opinion (without wanting to give anything away)... & like I said - worth seeing.

25. bernardbrook

bernardbrook Member

Nice. Thanks for the feedback. Well, it's the big thing now, from merchandising to everything. Hope the ratings would hold true for most people. I understand if it won't have the same emotional impact as the earlier films, that's usually the case nowadays anyway. Transformers comes to mind too. Everyone would probably say that the first one is the best one, even though the director and staff and cast apparently already tried bringing back the spirit of the first one to the latter movies. But hey, if it's still entertaining, and I trust your opinion on "visually-spectacular" and "worth seeing more than once or twice" and is "better" than the prequels, then that's worth watching for me. Anyway, for me not all movies should be that deep or sensible, sometimes it just has to be fun. That's sometimes why we watch movies anyway, to have fun and relax. Thank you! Will try to watch it as soon as I can.

26. BEN-HUR

Your welcome 'bernardbrook' (& welcome to Pod. Arena).

I saw the movie at the starting time of "12:01am" on the 17th... after a busy day at work. The local cinema was showing 4 screenings at around that time... the place was packed... even the police were there (to keep things in order).

Anyway, my personal views of "odd" storyline & "odd" acting may have been influenced by my tired state. Maybe it was that I feel that some of the actors weren't right for the roles (i.e. Adam Driver as Kylo Ren)... then again, I felt Han Solo (Harrison Ford) & Leia Organa (Carrie Fisher) interaction within the film looked awkward... even C-3P0's acting looked awkward :rolleyes: Hence will have to see it again at a fresher state.

However, R2-D2's acting (as usual) was impeccable! Certainly an Academy Award nomination (at least) this time! [Crikey... if Russel Crowe can get one, surely R2 & Tom Cruise should have 2 or 3 by now!]

27. bernardbrook

bernardbrook Member

Haha. Nice to hear. Were there cosplayers too? Haha. I'm pretty much a geek too, so I'm pretty much into these stuff as well.

I've also heard from a friend who just watched that it was a great movie nonetheless. And speaking of the robots' acting, how's BB-8? It is like the mascot of this episode. Been seeing lots of merchandise of it too. I've been hearing from people that it's really cute. Hehe.

Yeah, I guess when the DVD or Blu-ray comes out, try to watch it again. I'm pretty sure you'll appreciate it more. Because that's really true, your state of mind at the moment affects how you see things. That's what happened to me before on The Lord of the Rings. I watched it when I was still quite young and since they were such long films, I got sleepy and didn't quite grasp the sense of the story. And along the way I met friends who are so into LotR, and I've wondered what is with this franchise anyway. So I gave the franchise another shot after more than 10 years and wow! Really worth the hype after all.

So, try to get a nice couch weekend and probably re-watch it. I'm pretty sure you'll find more fun in it. Haha.

28. BEN-HUR

I've seen it twice... & my previous views pretty much remain unchanged (hence it wasn't the influence of fatigue). In short... just wasn't all that interesting & inspiring. Yes, it was eye candy... but there needs to be more than the visual element from such a history/story line pertaining to the original trilogy. The following article has views I resonate with & makes some valid points... http://www.msn.com/en-au/entertainm...force-awakens-stinks-and-heres-why/ar-BBo2oKT

Having said that (i.e. a 2 hour trailer)... I thought "The Force Awakens" does potentially set the scene for an interesting episode VIII (i.e. development of Luke Skywalker's role/history... & more R2D2 :rolleyes: ).

Not only creativity is an issue... but thought provoking... challenging concepts (& who gives a @#$% about the P.C police!).

[​IMG]
    However (in relation to the above meme... & in defence for R2), from memory... I believe both C-3P0's & R2's memory were erased at the end of episode III (hence Mr Lucas covered that ground).

29. BEN-HUR

The following video I found very interesting... highlights references (sometimes hidden) within the "The Force Awakens" (Episode VII)... & explains the background & leading events to episode VII. So if (like me) you were a little bit disappointed in the storyline of episode VII... the following could well make future viewing a bit more interesting...

... & bit more academic (i.e. background info on the universe of Star Wars). Speaking of which (i.e. academic)... the following link has 'academic' papers on the world (universe) of Star Wars...

5 Out of this World Star Wars Papers:

Such as...
    4. Darth Vader Made Me Do It! Anakin Skywalker?s Avoidance of Responsibility and the Gray Areas of Hegemonic Masculinity in the Star Wars Universe:

5. The Skywalker Twins Drift Apart: