Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

August 15-16, 2014: Queensland State Podiatry Conference 2014

Discussion in 'Conferences' started by Kevin Kirby, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Members do not see these Ads. Sign Up.
    Just wanted to let those of you who are interested in attending, that I will be lecturing along with Cylie Williams, PhD, as keynote speakers at the 2014 Queensland State Podiatry Conference on August 15th and 16th in Townsville, Australia.

It looks like a very good seminar and I'm looking forward to seeing many of my friends and colleagues from south of the equator at the seminar since I haven't lectured in Australia since August 2008. Can't wait!

http://www.podiatryassociationqld.org.au/announcements/2014-state-conference

2. For those who are interested in attending the upcoming 2014 Queensland State Podiatry Conference in Townsville, Australia, here are the topics I will be lecturing and doing workshops on.

Friday, August 15, 2014:

9.15 - 10:00 AM: Subtalar Joint Equilibrium and Tissue Stress Approach to Biomechanical Therapy of the Foot and Lower Extremity

1:30 -2:15 PM: The Multiple Therapeutic Effects of Foot Orthoses: Theory and Research Evidence for their Biomechanical Effect

Saturday, August 15, 2014:

9:00 - 9:30 AM: Controversies in Biomechanics and Orthosis Treatment of Pediatric Flatfoot and Adult Acquired Flatfoot Deformity

9:30 - 10:30 AM: Workshop on Clinical Tests and Techniques: The Four Methods of Subtalar Joint Axis Determination, Maximum Pronation Test, Supination Resistance Test, Orthosis Deformation Test, Barefoot Standing Orthosis Test, and Modified Lachman Test for Plantar Plate Tears

1:30 - 2:30 PM: Workshop on Walking Gait Evaluations and Modifying Ground Reaction Forces on the Plantar Foot to Optimize Function of the Foot and Lower Extremity During Gait

When I get the final program of the other lecturers (including Drs. Cylie Williams and Peter Friis) I will post up the full seminar schedule also.:drinks

Can't wait to get back again to Oz!!

3. As promised, here is the final program for the 2014 Queensland State Podiatry Conference in Townsville, Australia on August 15-16, 2014. My lovely wife and I are greatly looking forward to visiting lovely Australia again.

Hope to see many of you there!

4. Aussie_Bec

Aussie_Bec Member

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for posting! I have booked in for the conference. I really enjoyed your presentation in Melbourne in 2008 and am looking forward to listening to you again. Tony and team have put together a great program, and it will be nice to escape the cold and spend some time in sunny NQ.

Bec.

5. Bec:

Please introduce yourself to me while at the conference.

And, as far as temperature is concerned, I'm looking forward to escaping the heat of a Sacramento summer for the cooler weather in NQ!!

6. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Looking forward to meeting you Kevin, like you I'm pretty excited to escape a Melbourne winter for a long weekend in sunny Qld.

7. Cylie:

Am also looking forward to meeting you...looks like a great seminar!!:drinks

8. Looks like a good place to talk about feet for two days......;):drinks

9. The Townsville Aquarium looks pretty nice also....

10. May have to go to the Townsville Water Park between lectures just to cool off.... ;)

11. And the best one yet......Townsville at Dawn.
    (definitely will be taking lots of photos there!)

12. Looking forward to visiting the "land down under" with my lovely wife and lecturing with Cylie "Bug" Williams and my mate Simon Bartold (along with many other fine lecturers) at the Townsville Conference next week. Now, just need to do 24 hours of traveling to get there....:wacko::morning::cool:

13. LuckyLisfranc

LuckyLisfranc Well-Known Member

It gets pretty hot up there. I'll meet you for a beer in a proper North Queensland pub to cool off.

Attached Files:

14. One of the nice things about being invited to lecture at conferences is that I nearly always get to bring along my lovely wife (of 34 years) and we have a small vacation either before or after the conference and enjoy life in another country.

After about 32 hours of travel after leaving our home in Sacramento, we finally arrived at the beach house we rented here in North Queensland yesterday afternoon. Today, we enjoyed a sunrise over an island right across from our beach house, took a hike on one of the beautiful nearby beaches and saw some local wildlife (wallaby, cassawaries and a beautiful butterfly) while on the hike and a drive around our community.

Looking forward also to the Townsville conference after our vacation and hope to see many of you there!:drinks

15. It's getting toward the end of our vacation here in North Queensland before we head back south to Townsville for the Queensland State Podiatric Conference. Just wanted to show you all the beauty of North Queensland. We have greatly enjoyed our short vacation here.

First photo: Today's Sunrise Over Dunk Island

Second Photo: How Locals Launch Their Boats Here in South Mission Beach.

16. thekwie

thekwie Active Member

Watch out for those cassowaries, Kevin! They are definitely on the list of "Australian Wildlife That Wants to Kill You"!

17. thekwie

thekwie Active Member

18. Not to worry, I've been told by a reliable source (our night crocodile night hunting guide on the Hull River last night) that only one person has ever been reported killed by a cassowary...and that was a man who decided he was going to club one of them to death...will need to add him to the Darwin awards.

http://scienceblogs.com/grrlscientist/2007/01/08/when-cassowaries-attack/

19. Sadly saying goodbye to South Mission Beach after having a great short vacation before the Townsville Conference, starting Friday.

Simon Bartold, who is also lecturing at the conference, has told me that the mature boy band, "Tarsal Coalition", will possibly be getting together to perform at the conference. Should be fun.

The photo below was from in front of our rental house this morning at 7 AM in South Mission Beach. Can't wait to come back again to North Queensland sometime soon. It is beautiful!

20. It's been a good first day of lectures here in Townsville for the 2014 Queensland State Podiatry Conference. Finally got to meet Cylie Williams, PhD ("Bug" here on Podiatry Arena) who is lecturing on pediatric subjects such as toe-walking and metatarsus adductus. Her lectures were all excellent and I learned a lot.

Even though the conference has been great so far, we have had, however, an unseasonably rainy day today which didn't seem to dampen the spirits of the approximately 180 seminar registrants who asked very good questions during my lectures on Tissue Stress Theory and the History, Theory and Research Evidence on Foot Orthoses. Tomorrows schedule looks like a good one also.

One added benefit of the conference is that I've learned some new words and phrases from my Aussie friends and colleagues here:

"G-banger"
    "ripper"
    "strewth"
    "stone the flamin' crows"

I will try to incorporate these new words/phrases into my daily conversations once I return back to the good ol' US of A. ;):drinks

21. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Word of warning - might want to turn on the safe filter if you are googling the word g-banger.

Just here to help. ;)

22. Bug and me at the Townsville Conference this AM....

23. Two thirds of the Tarsal Coalition helped entertain the Saturday evening crowd at the Townsville Reed HQ Aquariaum for the end-of-conference-cocktail-party.

It was a great conference and I made a lot of new Aussie friends and got to finally meet Bug (Cylie Williams, PhD) and Scott Wearing, PhD. Many thanks to Tony Pascoe and everyone else from the Queensland Podiatry Association for making this well-organized event happen. Every one of the seminar registrants I spoke with were delighted with the meeting.

Now just have to wake up at 4 AM tomorrow to take a taxi to the Townsville Airport then travel for 24 hours to get back home to California!:eek::morning:

24. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

Good luck on the flight Kevin. It was great to meet you and be surrounded by some great speakers who share the common goals of extending excellence into practice. I also fully extend my thanks to the organising committee and even to your jacket tailor for your show time.

I would especially like to thank them for ensuring my flight home was with the North Qld Cowboys rugby league team. They made great seatmates in the emergency row exit with me, even though they did take up most of the room. It was a hard sacrifice.

Now if only I could transport some of that Qld sunshine to Victoria.

25. Donna

Donna Active Member

Best conference ever! :drinks

Thank you to the coolest presenters of the conference - Kevin Kirby, Cylie Williams, Simon Bartold, Scott Wearing, Tony Short - you were fantastic! :D

26. Thanks Donna. It was good to be around all you fun Aussies and put some faces and personalities to the names on Pod Arena. Any photos that you (or anyone else) want to send over? Would love to see some photos from the end-of-seminar-cocktail party at the Aquarium.

27. Donna

Donna Active Member

Hi Kevin,

I'll email a couple of photos to you. You might like to remember us as the crazy "fish" people at the Aquarium! ;)

Stay tuned...

Donna