Welcome to the Podiatry Arena forums

You are currently viewing our podiatry forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view all podiatry discussions and access our other features. By joining our free global community of Podiatrists and other interested foot health care professionals you will have access to post podiatry topics (answer and ask questions), communicate privately with other members, upload content, view attachments, receive a weekly email update of new discussions, access other special features. Registered users do not get displayed the advertisements in posted messages. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our global Podiatry community today!

1. Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Have you considered the Clinical Biomechanics Boot Camp Online, for taking it to the next level? See here for more.
Dismiss Notice
Have you liked us on Facebook to get our updates? Please do. Click here for our Facebook page.
Dismiss Notice
Do you get the weekly newsletter that Podiatry Arena sends out to update everybody? If not, click here to organise this.

It's no secret...there's money in podiatry

Discussion in 'Podiatry and Related Books' started by Craig Payne, Sep 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  2. William Fowler

William Fowler Active Member

Interesting. How relevant to the UK is it?

3. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Yes Tyson is Australian, but his reputation in practice issues is second to no one. I have not read the book (only just ordered it), but Amazon.com did let me browse it online after the purchase (something I not seen before). From what I looked at it is relevant to other countries; there does appear to be a few Australia only issues, but insignificant in the grand scheme of the book.

I see Amazon.uk have it, so they obviously trying to sell into the UK market:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...SIN=0992557909&linkCode=as2&tag=aldribvao0-21

Its not expensive - £15.87 (my book is going to cost a lot more!)

4. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
  5. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

I believe that the reason so few podiatrists in the UK earn decent money is because we undervalue our skills.
    I recently treated a chap who'd trodden on a Weaver fish in Pembroke. It's barb had penetrated the sole of his foot, his GP had put him on hospital-level antibiotics. After 4 days of total agony, he saw me. I drained an eggcup full of pus from the sole of his foot, removed the barb, cleaned up the area, dressed and padded it. He was fine from then. Without my intervention who
    knows what he would have endured...
    That treatment was priceless to him (able to return to work etc.) My fee is £45 - value for money I think, but many of my colleagues charge far less.
    I read an interesting article about the relative position of patient/practitioner in dentistry compared to patient /practitioner in podiatry. We sit in a subservient position, treating the most reviled and unclean, and overlooked part of the body. We do not believe we are worthy! we need to have higher self esteem and pride in our skills, or we are forever doomed to be at the bottom of the heap!

6. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    .... from what I seen of the book in my brief online look at it, it does address these sorts of issues.

7. PFHRick

PFHRick Welcome New Poster

Ms. Humble-Thomas,
    I'm interested to know - why, in your opinion, did your patient's physician not remove the barb, thereby addressing the "root cause" of the issue? That seems like an oversight that would approach the level of malpractice. Common sense alone should prompt one to take such a simple measure, not to mention years of professional training.

8. Cambs Pod

Cambs Pod Member

With regards to Elizabeth Humble Thomas's comments on our value.

I had a patient book an appointment for nail surgery today. The nail is very painful. They thought that I said the price was £50, and I corrected them £150.

They have DNAd. When I rang them, they claimed that they were delayed picking their daughter up from school.

This is what you call an example of cowboy customers. People who make an appointment, and do not even have the courtesy to pick up the phone to cancel/say they don't want it doing. It is particularly annoying when one prepares everything freshly sterilised/paperwork photocopied.

Cowboy customers whose FTP as a patient should be brought into question.

Why does this profession have such a low value. They would not do it with a dentist!

9. It always will when cowboy clinicians charge such terribly low fees!

10. Tyson Franklin

Tyson Franklin Welcome New Poster

Craig, I'm glad you've ordered a copy. I've had really positive feedback so far. The secret about my book has got out a little earlier then expected. I've been in Washington doing my book launch at the Top Practices Summit, but didn't expect the word to travel back to Australia so quickly.

The book is really about having creating a great business foundation, and treating your good patients like gold. If you do this, the money will come, but if you're sole purpose for doing podiatry is money, then you need to change your thinking.

11. Elizabeth Humble-Thomas

Elizabeth Humble-Thomas Active Member

My practice policy is, and has been for 30 years, that it is all about the patient and their treatment.
    I have always charged a relatively high fee (compared to local practices) and have recently raised my fee as senior member of the practice from £45 to £55 for a standard 30 min appointment. None of my patients have complained, many saying that I deserve it. I have a wonderful, loyal book of patients, and rarely get a missed appointment.
    I genuinely believe that this is because my patients feel part of the practice, they feel cared for and respected. I think they know that I always do the best I can for them.
    I try to treat everyone with kindness and respect, to put right anything they aren't happy about without charge, quickly and with courtesy. If I respect them, they respect and value me.This sounds incredibly pious I know, but I love my work, and earn a decent amount. I also think that self respect is essential, so making sure everything is done to the highest standard with the best possible instruments and materials contributes to that self respect. (£380 for nail surgery with followup care and free repeat if fails)

12. Craig Payne

Craig Payne Moderator

Articles:
    Hi Tyson - my copy not arrived from Amazon yet, but I see its getting some really good reviews there:
    http://www.amazon.com/Its-Secret-Th...ts=1&tag=aldribvao-20&linkId=ZLF66U25Y6BDIDCW

13. bmjones1234

bmjones1234 Active Member

:good: Cannot extol this sentiment enough - We do a great job and should embrace our gift to the medical profession.